Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a guy that has 2 454s(and xtra parts) for sale for $1500

One of them came from a truck, the other from a boat...

I searched the forum and saw that a reverse rotation motor(obviously) won't work.

#1- Will a correct rotation marine 454 work for a car?

#2- How do I tell one from the other with it sitting on the pallet?

·
Gold Founding Member
10,970 Posts
Pop out the core plugs and look for excessive water jacket corrosion. (If it's seawater (salt water) cooled, don't bother looking. Not worth the time involved.)

"Most" marine engines spin the same direction as in a car. Very few rotate the reverse direction. Even if there are twin engines with counter-rotating propellers, it's usually done with gearing.

Marine engines in ski boats are no big deal. Marine engines is the big scows run 4,000 RPM or higher (about 90% of WFO) ALL DAY LONG. Not the best choice of core. Run hard, put away wet.

While you're looking at 'em, better verify which deck height the blocks are--passenger car/light truck at 9.8"; versus medium-duty truck at 10.2".

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
This has been brought up several times in the past. Billk is fairly knowledgable about this stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
While not so common, reverse rotation engines are out there. There are quite a few things to change in one of these to run them in a car. A friend has one that he put in a street rod after doing all the little changes.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
some of the boat engines had gear drives, w/o an idler, so the cam ran in the opposite direction-as noted, look out for rust, lots of scaley rust

1 - 5 of 5 Posts