Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently did a cam swap on my 454. Replaced all of the valvetrain including valve seals with a compcams kit.

Also, took inner springs out of valve springs for the break in process. Put everything back together, started the car and immediately blue smoke started to pour out of the exhaust. Enough to cloud the street. Turned off the car and started pulling plugs to see where the oil was leaking from. Turns out all 4 plugs on the drivers side had oil in them, no plugs on the passenger side did. Not sure where to go from here. Could taking the inner springs out cause there to be not enough pressure on the seals allowing oil to leak in?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Since it is all on one side, check the intake gasket on the driver's side. It could be misaligned and/or leaking from underneath the manifold letting oil in.

Recently did a cam swap on my 454. Replaced all of the valvetrain including valve seals with a compcams kit.

Also, took inner springs out of valve springs for the break in process. Put everything back together, started the car and immediately blue smoke started to pour out of the exhaust. Enough to cloud the street. Turned off the car and started pulling plugs to see where the oil was leaking from. Turns out all 4 plugs on the drivers side had oil in them, no plugs on the passenger side did. Not sure where to go from here. Could taking the inner springs out cause there to be not enough pressure on the seals allowing oil to leak in?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Common issue. When it is all the cylinders on just one side of the engine it's pretty obvious what is wrong, sucking oil from lifter valley.
.What intake gasket did you use??

The Fel-Pro Permatorque Blue made for stock use with iron intakes often fail when used with aluminum....they don't have the right give and rebound characteristics for the increased expansion rate of aluminum intakes.

Need to use Fel-Pro Print-o-Seal or equivalent, the black or gray fiber based gaskets thet have the silkscreened silicone bead around each intake port. Mr Gasket, Edelbrock, Summit house brand, etc.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I
Common issue. When it is all the cylinders on just one side of the engine it's pretty obvious what is wrong, sucking oil from lifter valley.
.What intake gasket did you use??

The Fel-Pro Permatorque Blue made for stock use with iron intakes often fail when used with aluminum....they don't have the right give and rebound characteristics for the increased expansion rate of aluminum intakes.

Need to use Fel-Pro Print-o-Seal or equivalent, the black or gray fiber based gaskets thet have the silkscreened silicone bead around each intake port. Mr Gasket, Edelbrock, Summit house brand, etc.
I used the gasket that came with the new intake manifold which was an Edelbrock. I think you're right, most likely did not seat properly, I'm new to this. Rather it be just a simple gasket fix than something worse. I will look into it and come back with results in the coming days. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took off the manifold, yes it appears the gasket failed or I failed to put it in properly, right side is covered in oil. IMG_0375.JPG

·
Registered
309 Posts

Did you replace the o-ring seal in the valve keepers?

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
Not sure what gaskets Edelbrock is using now days but they had some a while back that were a strange material. I would use a Fel Pro 1212 for your application.

·
Premium Member
16,116 Posts
Now the biggest issue will be getting that sealing surface ultra clean. Stuff the galley with something, and get it all uber clean. Use a 1/4"-3/8" high bead of RTV at the rails. Let that sit and haze over ( 20 mins) before you drop the intake on. CLean up any excess squeezed out before it completely sets. I prefer Ultra Gray.

ALSO, I sometimes use one or two threaded studs to help me do a one man intake 'drop' clean.

PS Happened to me on #4 cyl only. Took me a while to figure it out. Tissue paper on the valve cover breather was the clue ( it sucked in!) In this case it was caused by a very thin and not quite flat bottom intake port on the old tripower intake. Draw filing the intake rail + new gaskets was the cure.

SILVER LINING: Hey at least you got a chance to check the cam visually after run in. Plus setting HYD valves with an open galley is child's play.

·
Super Moderator
12,718 Posts
When you get ready to put it back together sit the intake down on the gaskets and make sure it isnt hitting on the front or back. Hard to tell from your picture how thick the rtv is there. Also I take forever tightening the bolts because I go around probably 10 times just snugging them down a little at a time. Start at the center and work your way out to the ends. Let it sit overnight and go back and check them again. The factory torque spec is 30 lb ft. If Edelbrock says differently in their instructions I would go with what they say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys, a lot of advice I could have used a few days ago 🤣 glad I learned though before I messed something up even worse.
Will get back to the project tomorrow and update on the results.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
As long as the manifold os off, when you get the gaskets off the heads and manifold, set the manifold back on the engine and take a look at the angles of the intake faces on both the heads and manifold, and see if they are parallel. If not, you might have to look into eithe machining the parts straight and true, aligned, or, thicker intake gaskets.

Just info for you, and all, the blue sealant on the ports on the gaskets is a semi-hardening compound that is workable for either gaskets, or metal/rubber to metal without a gasket.

In fact, it is also used in the motorcycle industry as a metal to metal engine case sealer. For bikes, Three-bond 1194, Yama-Bond 4, and other sales names. Typical prep, clean surfaces, dry, no oil, grease, dirt, put it on sparingly, assemble, torque, let sit for a couple of hours, done. This stuff is the only sealer I use except for exhaust areas of intense heat. Easily removed with lacquer thinner or acetone.

Different versions are different colors.

Just FYI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now the biggest issue will be getting that sealing surface ultra clean. Stuff the galley with something, and get it all uber clean. Use a 1/4"-3/8" high bead of RTV at the rails. Let that sit and haze over ( 20 mins) before you drop the intake on. CLean up any excess squeezed out before it completely sets. I prefer Ultra Gray.

ALSO, I sometimes use one or two threaded studs to help me do a one man intake 'drop' clean.

PS Happened to me on #4 cyl only. Took me a while to figure it out. Tissue paper on the valve cover breather was the clue ( it sucked in!) In this case it was caused by a very thin and not quite flat bottom intake port on the old tripower intake. Draw filing the intake rail + new gaskets was the cure.

SILVER LINING: Hey at least you got a chance to check the cam visually after run in. Plus setting HYD valves with an open galley is child's play.
Hey what threaded studs do you use to help drop the intake in?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
"ALSO, I sometimes use one or two threaded studs to help me do a one man intake 'drop' clean"

So, nobody ever used a long Allen set screw as a guide stud to do this stuff? I do it all the time, length gets it mounted, Allen wrench or socket removes it easily. Just the set screw, don't use the thing as a hold down with nut.

Come on, guys, get creative. Even a full thread bolt with head cut off and screwdriver slot cut in one end will work as a guide stud

BTW, the studs are used on ONE side of the manifold only, NOT BOTH SIDES (one on each side would not allow the manifold to be installed down onto the engine)

Hardware stores, and mcmaster.com have LONG Allen set screws.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright boys, the good news, replaced intake gasket with success and burnt off all excess oil during the break in.
The bad news, I installed a Dewitt radiator last year, Model: 4139003M ( 1968-1972 Aluminum Radiator – DeWitts™ Direct Fit® Aluminum Radiators ) and for some reason it did not kick on when the engine got hot, ended up having to stop the motor every 10 mins for the 30 minute break in. I think we narrowed it down to the temperature plug on it. Maybe it kicked the bucket while I had it out of the car for a couple months? Also, I'm pretty sure this vehicle suffers from the "hot start" problem. Had to wait a while to start it up and even when it did, it was a rough start each time. How could I diagnose this? Also the car did not idle when I attempted to after the break in. Any thoughts or comments on these issues are appreciated. You've all been very helpful thus far and I appreciate it. :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I am going to think the fans are useless electric, and NOT A/C mechanical fan clutch engine driven. Electric fans, NOT the way to go on non-emissions run hot engines.

If you would, please outline a few things:

Describe the fan/cooling system

Please post initial, idle and mechanical timing, and if you are running a functional and properly set up vacuum advance, and if so, which souorce for its vacuum?

What intake manifold and carb, please?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts