Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ordered a used DVD from Amazon which was not described as Blu ray. Now the shipping info says I will be getting the Blu thing. Since I have an old player, will it still work or not? (No big deal as the cost was only a few dollars.)

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
THEN there are the American market DVD players that won't play any DVD's that were not sold in USA. I received a DVD from a friend in England (The Shadows: Final Tour) and since it was made in England, the American DVD player would not play it.

I had to go to Amazon to find a player that would handle the different format.

That was a weird one to me - never had any idea.

·
Premium Member
4,164 Posts
THEN there are the American market DVD players that won't play any DVD's that were not sold in USA. I received a DVD from a friend in England (The Shadows: Final Tour) and since it was made in England, the American DVD player would not play it.

I had to go to Amazon to find a player that would handle the different format.

That was a weird one to me - never had any idea.
Yeah, they are classified by region. Some players can be "unlocked" to play other region disks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, the region thing. I once bought a DVD online that was region 7: Australia. It would not play so I put it in my computer and fiddled with it. Then a message came up that it was from a different region. You can get a computer to play out-of-region discs to a limited degree. If you do it too much the computer will lock onto that region and cannot easily be restored to a local region.
Some DVDs say on the jacket what region it is for and some say all regions ( I think that is called region zero).
There must be some software out there that will allow a computer to play all regions, but I have never looked for it as I only once had an out of region DVD.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,733 Posts
I have a sony blu ray that plays DVDs just like a regular DVD player would, if it's a blu ray disc your getting it should play in a regular player just not as clear

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,281 Posts
I have a sony blu ray that plays DVDs just like a regular DVD player would, if it's a blu ray disc your getting it should play in a regular player just not as clear
No.

A Blu-ray disc won't play in a "regular" DVD player. :noway:

A "regular" DVD will play in a Blu-ray player - it won't have the resolution of a Blu-ray disc, however.

;)

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Yep, the region thing. I once bought a DVD online that was region 7: Australia. It would not play so I put it in my computer and fiddled with it. Then a message came up that it was from a different region. You can get a computer to play out-of-region discs to a limited degree. If you do it too much the computer will lock onto that region and cannot easily be restored to a local region.
Some DVDs say on the jacket what region it is for and some say all regions ( I think that is called region zero).
There must be some software out there that will allow a computer to play all regions, but I have never looked for it as I only once had an out of region DVD.
I think you can change the region on a computer DVD player 5 times before it stops letting you change it.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,733 Posts
I guess I got it backwards, I haven't turned it on in a few years with You Tube, Netflix and such.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My great nightmare is now over. I got my $5.92 DVD in the mail today. The reason for my confusion is that the package contained 2 DVD's. One in old style format and one in blu-ray. I tried the blu-ray disk and the player does not recognize it and does not give any kind of error message: it just looks like it is taking forever to load it.
Now I can watch the drama of James Hunt and Niki Lauda fighting it out over the F1 title for 1976.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts