Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, I picked up my Chevelle a two days ago with the new blown 8-71, 540 BB.

Some of you may be aware of my concerns with leaks.

Here's the story:

They never did the dye test. The owner guaranteed me it will not leak and that he is responsible if it leaks. I left it at this. I told him his reputation and name is on this motor. If it leaks, a lot of people are going to find out about his work. He says, "our motors don't leak."

Time will tell. Of course, I hope to say great things about their work.

The day I went to pick it up, the first thing I did was look underneath the car to see whether there are any leaks. What did I see? Two drops of oil on the ground at the size of three quarters put together, each.

I asked, "why is it leaking and where is it coming from?" Their reply, "We over-filled the tranny fluid and when we took it for a test drive, the tranny fluid expanded and overflowed out the dip stick.

By this time I was too exhausted. I just wanted to pay them and get the heck out of there.

I had it towed home.

Next:

I turned the key and it fired right up. It idles really smooth. This motor is not as loud as my other motor. It is due to the gear drive I had in the other motor. The supercharger definately whines when you step on it. Out side the cabin the whine is pretty loud. Enough to **** off the neighbors.

I had my fingers crossed and put it in first. It has a new Art Carr TH400 tranny with manual shifting rated for 1200 hp. I decided to keep the stock shifter to keep the interior looking original.

I then started to drive away and this baby is smoooth. I would call it as smooth as a cruiser. Threw it in second and the shift was hard and clean. Stepped on it and the tail got side ways immediately. Holly $hit better back off.

It drives really nice. The shifting is nice with the Art Carr tranny.

I drove for about 5 miles stop and go traffic and the water temp got up to 215 - 220 degrees. I got a little uncomfortable with this temp so I headed home. Maybe these blown motors are meant to run this warm. True? I was told yes. Then I was also told it could run in the 190*. So, there's a little conflict. I am not familiar with the new motor yet so I didn't want to push it.

I was also told that it could run warm because of the small tail pipes I have. They are only, my guess, 2 inch tail pipes so it could be choking the blown motor. Therefore less heat transfer out the pipes. True?

I want this motor to breath properly. So, I'm going to swap to 3 inch pipes. From headers back. Is there a bolt on kit with mandrell bent system for 69 chevelles? I am also going to get new mufflers. So I am looking for a full kit. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Other thoughts on the system running warm....I will check my water pump pulley. It is a March terpentine set up to see whether they are the ultimate diameter for my set up. I had thought the water pump is overdriven by 15%. I'll have to check.

Back to the leaking issue.

I put a large white blanket in the garage to track leaks. I haven't looked yet. But I was told that give it a little time with some driving time and it (tranny fluid) should dry up.

Time will tell and driving time will tell.

Sorry for the long post. Here are a couple of pictures two days ago.

I'll try to get videos. The baby is due any day so this has consummed most of my worries and anxiety.

Thanks you all to your posts and help through this project. There will be more posts to come seeking your help.

Overall, it was fun driving the Blown 540 BB, again. I am now the king of the hill in my neighborhood....well may be not.

It is a blast manually shifting the 540. It is a fun car to drive. I would call it a cruiser. But, there are at least 800 ft lbs of torque underneath should I stomp on it

By the way, I ran into two Cops in my neighborhood and they didn't pull me over...whew...

Happy Holidays!!

Blown 540 Chevelle

Motor

I'll take more photos once it stops raining by tomorrow.

------------------
My other TOY

Video: Blown 540 on the dyno

Picture: Blown 69 SS Chevelle

[This message has been edited by Tonyr (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
16,020 Posts
A brand new or brand new rebuilt motor will always run a little warm until the ring seat. Give it a few 100 miles to seat the rings before you feel it is running hot.

Glad to hear you got the car back in one piece!

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Good news! Right on, now im going back to simply being jealous.
Keep us posted, I wanna see those vids...romping on it in second and getting sideways would make a nice one BTW.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'm really happy for you Tony. Maybe someday, I too will have a great car like you do.

------------------
Bob McCormick
69 Malibu project

[This message has been edited by BobMcC (edited 12-21-2001).]

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I just put a 540 in my car, and it has the 2" super comp headers. I put the 3" Torque Tech exhaust with delta flow 2 chamber mufflers. Exhaust is madrel bend, and it sounds great. I will be posting pictures of the exhaust on my page this weekend.

Many guys here run the Torque Tech system and are happy with it as well.

------------------
www.yannis68chevelle.com

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,094 Posts
Tony, Awesome! I'm sure you'll grab lots of attention wherever you go. I'm impressed!! Ditto the vote on the Torque Tech 3" exhaust.

------------------
Dave
My 65 El Camino
Tri Power

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Tony, does it have a serpentine water pump on it, the factory serp pumps turn in the opposite direction.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
163 Posts
Tony,

Here's the website for Torque Tech. I think it's just a demo page as none of the links work but it gives you a good idea what they have to offer. Note the 3.5" mandrel bent system!

Torque Tech

------------------
1969 Caprice 4400LBS!!
454/M-20
12-bolt 4.10 Posi
13.45 @ 105
323HP @ 5200RPM
382lb-ft @ 3300RPM at the wheels!
Andy and Nick's Muscle Car Half-way House

[This message has been edited by LTLCRZY427 (edited 12-20-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Glad to hear you've got it safe at home..
I hope the oil leaks were just a fluke...
As far as the exhaust goes....
First let me say that I don't think you'll ever get all that power to the pavement

But if you want all of that power there for tire frying exhibitions???
I think you'll need 3.5" pipes on a dual exhaust minimum..
Torque technologies does make a 3.5" prefabbbed mandrel bent exhaust system for A-Bodies. But it is bent to use dual offset mufflers which wont flow enough for you motor....
I think you are going to have to find someone who can custom bend 3.5" and use race type mufflers that could handle all that flow...Something like the Walker/Dynomax ultra flow welded race mufflers (possibly a model #17224), or Borla XR-1's

FWIW.... quick calculations show a needed flow of 1300-1500 cfm on each side

------------------
You can sleep in your car,but you cant drive your house.
Tony. H . 406 powered , Mohave Gold , 72'Malibu

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
70_chevelle, it is fairly loud. I love the sound of it though. I would say depending on how loud your motor is that you would probably want to let the throttle off in front of cops

I will try to get a sound clip of it this weekend and post it on my page. This will give you a good idea, I hope.

------------------
www.yannis68chevelle.com

·
Registered
738 Posts
Glad to hear you're finally able to enjoy that killer
motor Tony! Hope she stays bone dry for you. Keep those pics coming - it's great eye candy!

Can't wait to hear your initial impression after you spin her up to the moon and back. Better double-up on underwear.

Hope that your wife and new baby make it thru just fine - congrats!

------------------
502 Rat Infested 1970 Malibu - Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!
http://bruteforcechevelle.freeservers.com/

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Tony,
You have had unbelievable patience and self control throught this whole ordeal. My hat goes off to you. Glad to see it finally back
together.
Richard

------------------
The new project..
65 Riviera
78 Malibu and Power Tour 2001
-66,000 org. miles
-orig. paint
-orig. int
-orig. V6
-almost all the above is true
67 Wagon
project soon to be LT1 / 4L60E / 12 bolt posi daily driver

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Tony, congratulations on the project!The people at Torque Tech are great to deal with and they have a good product that fits. I have the 21/2" system with 3 chamber Flowmasters. Sounds great. Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.