Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holy $hit!!!!!!!!

This is one way to describe this torque monster 700 lbs-ft torque at 3,000 rpm.

I got it home on Friday and drove it for the first time. Let me tell you, it is scary. Light throttle response is AWESOME! Spinning tires, easily!

In the attached picture, you'll notice my driveway has a slight slope. While I was trying to back it up on the driveway, it sat in one place and spun the tires. My neighbors thought I was trying to show off by spinning the tires on my driveway...I was only trying to back it up into my garage. I ended up pulling it in nose first and gave up the backing in method.

Off the line from a stop light, I have to becareful or it will roast the tires. This beast will take off with a light throttle response. You can see the whole front-end rising - taking off in stop and go traffic.

It puts on a pretty good show driving around town. Everytime I pulled up behind a car in stopped traffic, the driver in front of me seemed to crap in his pants
Rev the motor a little bit and every head turns. IT SOUNDS LIKE A BEAST!

On coming traffic will look with a "what the #uck?" look.

Went to pick up donuts on Saturday. A man was looking at the engine bay. Got the donuts and got in my car. Fired it up and the guy jumped back 2 feet from the growl of the supercharger

The weather was in the 90's. Humidity was at 75 percent. My water temp got up to 200 degrees in traffic, even with the dual electric fans on. Is this running too hot considering the weather conditions?

I'm still breaking in the motor. The hood will be installed tomorrow.

Here are pictures of the Chevelle on my drive way before and after. Note, I used two different digital cameras. So, the "after" picture is more accurate with regard to car color.

Before

Before

After

More pics to come.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

------------------
Picture: My new motor with a supercharger!

Image: Dyno sheet, 700 hp, 700 ftlb

Picture: My blown 468 Chevelle

Picture: 69 SS Chevelle

Picture: 396 engine

Picture: My car on the cover of Super Chevy Magazine

Video: 1 meg video of my Chevelle warming up

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Tony,

Not too bad, but you really need to practice on an Elky. Go ahead and bring your car to me (with some cash) and I'll trade you for one of my ultra rare Elkys!

Then I can cruise around the Midwest in that SWEET A$$ Chevelle you have
. Very, Very nice. Now, quit typing and go enjoy that beast!!!

------------------
Got Chevelles?
Jeff Carpenter
65 Chevelle/65 Elky
67 Elky Project
Team Chevelle Gold #61

·
Premium Member
5,886 Posts
Looks totally awesome Tony, well done my friend. BTW - don't you need wipers in your neck of the woods for safety reasons?

I would have to say that running 200* with that mill in the heat you mentioned is just fine.

Go scare a few more residents

------------------
ACES #4241, TC #947
69 SS Sedan

·
Registered
389 Posts
Ditto on the 200 being just fine. Have fun!!

------------------
Fast Ernie
All throttle..................no bottle
Harley WideGlide

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Where's my Video!!!!

Out of the two types of people you mentioned, crapping there pants when behind them and what the eff! when coming toward you, I think I would be a combined of the two, i.e....Holy Sh*t!

I await the .mpegs

That thing turns my stomach just from the pictures, lord only knows how it makes you feel.

Are you walking out to your driveway every half-hour just to verify you actually have that in the driveway? I'd be pinching myself all day just to make sure.

------------------
'70 SS 396 4spd
TC# 1341

"You're just jealous because the little voices are talking to me"

·
Registered
738 Posts
Glad to hear you've finally got her on the road Tony. What an awesome
sight and sound she must be. Better be careful where you drive that thing, you're likely to cause a fender bender before too long.

I too am jonsin' for an mpeg...one of you going sideways down the street (safety first of course) with the rubber hides begging for mercy. C'mon man, quite torturing us!!

Agreed - considering that powerplant, your engine temps are pefect for the air temps you had.

------------------
502 Rat Infested 1970 Malibu - Gold Member #39
Keep America Beautiful - Drive A Brute Force Chevelle!
http://homepages.about.com/wescolby/1970bruteforcechevelle

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tonyr:

I'm still breaking in the motor. The hood will be installed tomorrow.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank goodness, I thought I was the only one that did that.

My motor cruises on the interstate at 210*. Not a problem.

Glad to hear your loving the whole sha-bang.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
BEST 1/8th: 8.252 @ 84.56mph (1.855 sixty foot)
Last years previous best 1/4: 13.1sec @ 105 MPH (2.10 sixty foot) to be corrected soon.
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By the way, I'm glad to hear 200 - 210* is normal.

Afterall, it is a blown motor which probably runs hotter.

Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
So are you planning on putting a hood on that beast?

------------------
kenny

85 El Camino 355ci
350 turbo - 4.11's
best run so far 12.92
My Page

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Incredible, Awesome, Beautious
It may be OVER
KILL, but it sure is cool.
I'll bet the minivans run for cover, mothers cover their childrens eyes, and grown men moan with envy.

------------------
Huh ?
68 SS-396

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Tony, had not said anything, until you got the whole thing done. Man, that is one of the nicest bad boy Chevelle's that I have seen. I am with Beaux, you must pinch yourself everytime you see that in the garage. I will be down in the so.cal area in a couple of months, and would really LOVE to see that in person. Maybe even take a ride in the car, just to remind myself of a blown ride (I once rode in a big block 6-71 Vette) truely scary! I am jealous, nice job.

------------------
My70ChevelleSS "Together we stand, devided we fall"

·
Premium Member
2,200 Posts
Beautiful car Tony!!!

------------------
You can sleep in your car,but you cant drive your house.
Tony. H . 406 powered , Mohave Gold , 72'Malibu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Tony,

Your car is beyond words! Man, that is a sweet car. Do you ever take it to the Main Street show in Garden Grove on Friday nights (assuming they still have it)? I'd love to see your car and say hi sometime.

Dennis

·
Registered
191 Posts
I think I need a cold shower!!!
Awsome car.. I gotta see that thing some time.. We now need to have a SoCal get together.. you would truely be the star.. hmm maybe I will leave my car at home.. dont want to make it look like beater next to yours

------------------
*Chris Mellow
*1970 Chevelle Malibu 355/TH350 Pearl Blue, Chrome Ralleys
*"Well all I'm saying is that I want to look back and say that I did it the best I could while stuck in this place, had as much fun as I could when I was stuck in this place, played as hard as I could when I was stuck in this place, dobbed as many chicks as I could when I was stuck in this place!" Don: Dazed and Confused

·
Registered
64 Posts
just imagine if you tubbed the rear to make room for 32" X 16" mickey T's. hehehe. that car is awsome, never seen anything quite that cool.

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
Tony,

Now I'm kinda partial to orange Chevelles but even if I wasn't (and although I am), you still have a gorgeous ride.

I have a brother-in-law in Riverside that I get out to once a year or so. Are you anywhere near there? I'd love to see that puppy in person!

BTW, what transmission are you running?

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92
ACES #1709
www.dalesplace.com
Restore it or customize it, but drive it and enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
3,933 Posts
Let's see... It's a Chevelle, It's orange, It's got black racing stripes, It has a blown big block, and It causes neck snapping doubletakes. Is this what all little gearheads grow up dreaming about???

(Everyone chime in NOW!!!)YYEEESSSS!!!

Real Sweet!

------------------
Rod
'70 Chevelle frame-off (restification in progress)
'81 Malibu Classic Landau street/strip

[This message has been edited by Rmchevelle (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Registered
171 Posts
If 200 degrees is as hot as it gets in that weather you're doing great! A blown motor is definately going to run hotter. Your car looks just awesome! It is really tempting me to put the B&M Megablower I have on my '68. One thing is for sure; with an engine like that you can't drive around unnoticed. **** work!!!

------------------
68 Malibu B&M blown 350, TH350 with 10" converter and Gear Vendors overdrive, 12 bolt-3.90 gears
69 CST Pickup original 396, TH400 factory AC/PS/PB
99 Harley Dyna Wide Glide
91 Sportster 883- now a 1200!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.