Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just about had it with this car. One thing after another. Almost 18K stuck into and it still doesn't run right. Okay, problem number 134598. I am blowing my tail light fuse consistently. When this happens I have no tail lights, brake lights or interior lights. Sometimes I replace the fuse and it last for a week. Now it is blowing when I get down the block. I replaced some chrome on my trunk lid and when I closed the trunk, the lights went out. I looked at all the wires and they appear fine. At least the ones in the trunk. When I attempt to put a new fuse in with the lights on, I get sparks and the fuse blows. When I attempt to put the fuse in with the lights off, I get no spark. Didn't try it with brake pedal depressed. Any ideas? I would hate to replace the whole wiring harness and still have the problem. Car is a 65 chevelle.

·
Gold Founding Member
65,708 Posts
Don't think I ever heard of the tail lights, brake lights and interior lights all being on the same fuse. I know the dash lights are powered off of the tail light fuse so you will notice when it blows.
If it's blowing that often it shouldn't be that hard to trace it down by process of elimination.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The chrome isn't pinching anything. They were blowing before I put on the exterior chrome pieces. Just thought I would mention that I was putting the new stuff on and it started happening because I was near the trunk area. How do I narrow it down? Am I going to have to pull the wiring harness and look for cracks in the wire? I went to put a good fuse in this morning with car and lights off. When I touch the fuse to the fuse box it sparks like crazy.

·
Premium Member
9,707 Posts
When I had a randomly occurring blowout of the tail light fuse, it turned out to be a corroded fuse clip. The heat of the resistance at the clip contributed to blowing the fuse. I agree with Dean; the tail lamps and dash are on the same fuse, but brake lamps are on another.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know what. That fuse clip is corroded. How can I test it. Can I pull the wires from the back of the box and connect them to the fuse without using the box to test? One of the clips is pretty bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.