Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just about had it with this car. One thing after another. Almost 18K stuck into and it still doesn't run right. Okay, problem number 134598. I am blowing my tail light fuse consistently. When this happens I have no tail lights, brake lights or interior lights. Sometimes I replace the fuse and it last for a week. Now it is blowing when I get down the block. I replaced some chrome on my trunk lid and when I closed the trunk, the lights went out. I looked at all the wires and they appear fine. At least the ones in the trunk. When I attempt to put a new fuse in with the lights on, I get sparks and the fuse blows. When I attempt to put the fuse in with the lights off, I get no spark. Didn't try it with brake pedal depressed. Any ideas? I would hate to replace the whole wiring harness and still have the problem. Car is a 65 chevelle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Which chrome trim? Maybe pinched wire harness?
Does it blow when you apply brakes? Anything else on that circuit?
Rob

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The chrome isn't pinching anything. They were blowing before I put on the exterior chrome pieces. Just thought I would mention that I was putting the new stuff on and it started happening because I was near the trunk area. How do I narrow it down? Am I going to have to pull the wiring harness and look for cracks in the wire? I went to put a good fuse in this morning with car and lights off. When I touch the fuse to the fuse box it sparks like crazy.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
When I had a randomly occurring blowout of the tail light fuse, it turned out to be a corroded fuse clip. The heat of the resistance at the clip contributed to blowing the fuse. I agree with Dean; the tail lamps and dash are on the same fuse, but brake lamps are on another.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You know what. That fuse clip is corroded. How can I test it. Can I pull the wires from the back of the box and connect them to the fuse without using the box to test? One of the clips is pretty bad.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts