Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I Installed my Alarm and Solenoid kit, I have blown the 20A fuse 2 times in 1 week. The box originally asks for a 20a fuse, I cant remember which one it is right off, it's on the left top side, I think 2nd or 3rd fuse down. The alarm and solenoids are wired to an "ALWAYS HOT" open port on the fuse block, which is right next to the fuse, not on the same fuse port though. Bigger and better fuse, or what? :eek:

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Sounds like you should run a new additional wire from the horn relay. Much the same thing as was done when A/C was added to the car. Fuse it near the horn relay and bring it through a grommeted hole in the firewall.
The original fuse is not handling the additional load and raising its size is the wrong thing to do. If you increase it's size it no longer protects the original wiring.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I take the main always hot wire, go through the firewall to the horn relay? Up by the radiator support?

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
Run a new / different wire from the horn relay (which is wired directly to the battery). Run that through the firewall and use that power source to power your actuator relays fused at whatever the actuator company recommends.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an open positive wire off my battery, so just run it straight to that? Or did I still need to go through the fuse box at some point. I'd like to run a straight wire right to the battery, easy and simple. If it needs a fuse I can just install a little inline fuse, is this right?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like an easy re-wire. Thanks for the help guys. One more thing on my mind that I cant find anywhere. What type of fuse for an alarm/solenoid setup? This will be in it's own line/wire also, not sure if that will make a difference.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also the main wire that comes out of my alarm box for power, its like a 16 or 18g wire, doesnt that seem a little bit small? Especially for going the distance now to the batt?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Im back!
I went to the hardware store and got a little bus inline fuse wire. I mentioned it before, but how do I know what size fuse to use in here? It blew the 20a fuse in the fuse box before. Is using too high rating fuse bad? 25a or 30a fuse? May be a good idea to call us Autoloc and see if they recommend anything. There tech support isnt the best though.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The separate line is only fuseing your newly added items while before the 20 amp fuse was protecting both the original items and the newly added items at the same time.
Since you occasionally popped a 20 amp fuse in the box, a 20 amp in-line fuse sounds high enough.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Autoloc has the wooooorst customer support. They finally wrote back, With my detailed e-mail all they had to write back was. Did you check all your connections? It should be working.
WOW, THANKS! :D
Anyways, either way Id rather do a seperate line, w/ a fuse to the batt. Thanks for all the help! This place never lets me down. I'll post what happens (mainly if it doesnt work)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well the alarm and solenoid kit, they run on there own fuses line now. And guess what blew last night! It was a 20a again, underpowered fuse or wired incorrectly? This is strange, there isnt a whole lot to it, especially since it has it's straight line to battery.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
The door lock / door pop solenoid kits vary, autoloc has 6 different kinds ranging from 11 lbs pull to 100 lbs. The current draw depends on how hard they have to work & which ones you have. In most cases they will require more than 20 amps if only briefly. Are you using them to add power door locks or to pop the whole door open? What pound solenoid are you running? This might help http://www.autoloc.com/products/shaveddoorremote.lasso

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the 50lb kit, driver and passenger side solenoids w/ an alarm. No power windows or locks, etc. The solenoids just pop the doors open. I'll try the link ,Autoloc has great products but I havent found too much in the help department so far.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
From their website “’Each kit also includes 3 heavy-duty Keep It Clean 40-amp relays” Looks to me like you can double the size of your in-line fuse from 20 to 40. You might try running a 30 first, if it holds you’ve got 10 amps more protection, if not with the heavier gauge wire and the 50 lbs solenoids you may have to use a 40 amp fuse. You might try something like this --> http://www.circuitprotection.ca/htmls/fbs/CQ-211MI.html

1 - 15 of 15 Posts