Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

My friend and I had a lil argument about which is more american: blower or nos...

Since neither of us are american, any feedback is greatly appreciated...

It smells like civil war, I know, I know...

vortech08,

Estonia, Europe

·
Registered
171 Posts
There was a post a few weeks ago about which to use: nitrous or a blower; which got an extensive amount of replies to. As to which is more American, thats a tough question. I have posted before that I am definatly pro blower so I'll wave my flag and say that supercharging is more American. Supercharging goes back to the early 50's on automobiles in the U.S. S.C.O.T. made a supercharger for the flathead ford way back when. I know nitrous was used on WWII fighter planes but I think the blower precedes it in automotive use. Just my .02!! Bob

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
They're both American in equal amounts.

I see it as the uniquely American desire to make things bigger, better, faster, etc. We are a county of excessiveness, and both Nitrous and Blowers are prime examples of our constant desire to exceed the limits of what we (really) need.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm not american either, but i'll tell you what I think is the most impressive, and that's using neither. You hear about these guys that have a car that can run and e.t. of 14.5 sec. And then they brag about the 11.5 - 12 sec. e.t. that they can run on NOS. Big deal buddy, bottom line is that my car will whip yours on the street. I will never use either on any of my cars because I will deny anyone bragging rights who beats me with nitrous. Now a blower, they aren't really the same because you have the power all the time, I still don't find a blower near as impressive as nothing at all but I would like a nice supercharger over NOS any day. but NO hood scoop or whole in the hood. Oh ya, I was at the track the other day and saw all these cars with stupid looking hood scoops on them, and they only run 13's and 14's! What's up with that. There, now that i've thrown my .02 of gas on the fire we'll see what happens

chris

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gandalf,

Yea, you have a point...

No bragging, wannabe scoops etc.
For the record, i am pro blower and carbs, no NOS and EFI and turbos! Not going to screw up an SS either..

So, go ride your honest Shadowfax and leave NOS and other mind magic to Saruman!

What you got under that hood anyway?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Right now, nothing at all
. I sold my 350 about 3 months ago for $2000, some of you may have seen it in the classifieds on this site. I am currently about 2-3 weeks away from finishing my 454 that's getting dropped in. forged crank, polished connecting rods, bored .40 over, hypereutectic pistons, 290 cast heads, ported and polished by myself, 10.25:1 compression, dynomax headers, performer RPM intake, comp cams 280H camshaft, hyd. lifters, full roller rockers, 3/8 pushrods and guides, currently a holley 700cfm dbl pmp but that's gotta go next winter, planned redline of 6500, 2000 stall, maybe 2500. 3.73 posi rear, th-350 tranny. And NO juice or blower. Desktop dyno rated it at 518 horses which is plenty for me, estimated e.t. of 13.4 which is alright too, seeing as it is a daily driver. And from my trips to the track, daily drivers that get 12's are few and far between. That's my story and i'm stickin to it!
. I'll have an engine start up story for you guys in a couple weeks I hope, god knows i've been talking about this thing for2 years already.

Chris

·
Registered
262 Posts
For what it's worth,I believe neither are originally american. The supercharger was first widely used in the 1930's and 40's on aircraft, primarily british aircraft. Nitrous was used briefly by the germans during this same time, also on aircraft.

Clark

·
Registered
150 Posts
For me, I guess it depends. For the sleeper look, nitrous is better, because it's easier to hide, but then again, a blower is very intimidating. I guess I'd go for the blower, but I'd get a ticket for obstructed vision, so maybe nitrous is the way to go.

Then again, beating a guy with either a blower or nitrous is always cool, if you have neither.

Gee, my head hurts now, better go have another beer.

------------------
70 & 1/2 RS Camaro
SB406 & M20 4spd
9" Rear
70 Malibu
SB350 & TH400

Gold Member # 103

·
Registered
60 Posts
My view is that although blowers make a ton of power and are big on the intimidation scale, I don't care for em.

I've never been a person that likes the flashy cars with a ton of chrome and guages and a blower with twin dominators poking through the hood.

I've always thought that NOS was the best bang for the buck and the easiest to hide. NOS get's my vote.

·
Registered
93 Posts
But when we talk $$ nos is the cheapest hp is it not?

------------------
Ray{Surrey BC}
65SS chevelle
65 2dr chevelle
65 el camino
team #214 gold

·
Registered
738 Posts
N2O has my vote and it should be the vote of every 'budget minded' hot rodder on this site! You cannot beat it as offering the MOST bang for your buck on the street. Just make sure your engine can handle the increased cylinder pressures and you are good to go. I would suggest doing a topic search under 'nitrous' and you will find some other posts about applications and limitations.

And, who cares whether or not you get beat by a nitroused motor or a blown motor? It doesn't really matter what makes the power - the two cars are racing against each other and not the motors. Gee, if you get spanked by a car on the gas, then deal with it by either building a better powerplant or go buy a faster car.

This is my opinion only, but I view nitrous as an optional component of any engine set-up. If your cam is too small and not producing enough low to mid-range torque, what do ya' do? That's right, swap out the cam for a bigger lump stick. Using N2O is the exact same. If I think I don't stand a chance of beating a mid 11 second car, then I'm going to spray it during the race AND I will even let that person know before we race.

I don't use it as some sort of 'hocus pocus' sneaky-stealthy stuff - that mindset was really popular during my younger street racing days. I do not street race. My small-block 'mouse' stroker motor makes only 425hp on the motor and 575 on the gas and over 600ft lbs of torque to boot - if I were to race you at the track, I will tell you that I plan to spray the car during the race - what is wrong with that anyway?

Gee, this otta' open a can or two...

------------------
70' Malibu - 383 'Dental Gas' Inhaling Stroker! Gold Member #39
Chevellz Alwayz!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Gandalf....be careful what you ask for , you just may get it. My bench seat, all metal, non slicked, stock suspension, full interior 468 ci, Chevelle went 11.50's all day long. Pump gas, no blower, no N20. The new 486 ci should go 10.50's, all day long. No N20, no blower. Looking for high 9's on the juice. Already planning my next motor... around a 700ci pump gasser, no N20, no huffer, with about 800hp. Yeah, I'm gonna spray it to about 1200 hp just "in case". Anyway, who cares how people make power. I think people look stupid who whine about being beat by a blower car or by N20. Don't race, and then make excuses why you get beat. I respect any one who has a fast car, no matter how they get there [unless the car is gutted]. I have no respect, for people who have slow cars and make excuses why their car is slow.
For the record, I don't prefer N20 over blowers. I have N20 because in my area more people use it and have knowledge about it. If it were the other way around, I'd have a blower. My good friend just moved and he has a blower car that should run low 8's when it is done. If he were still here, to teach me I'd probably go the blower route. My point is.. I don't try to be a "Lone Ranger". I want to spend more time in the saddle than out. The wealth of knowledge and experience in your area should be a consideration in chossing which route to take.

R

·
0 Posts
I agree with Michael. Bottom line: power is power. Doesn't matter how you make it. People that have an attitude about those that use NOS have never tried it. Regardless of who wins the race, it's awesome stuff! Instant adrenaline!

And if you are comparing it with superchargers, supercharger with NOS are even better.
Works like an intercooler making even more power. They both have their pros and cons. Nitrous is cheap up front, but you pay when you fill the bottles, and they only last for seconds. Blowers work great, but they require rebuilds often if you drive them on the street, they cost a fortune, and they have lots of wear and tear. NOS has no moving parts...

My 496 will have at least a BigShot plate under the Dominator. Maybe a fogger...

Ryan

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think it's easy, ANYTHING THAT MAKES YOU USE MORE GAS IS "AMERICAN"!

As far as "looks", I can't see a big GMC blower sticking out the hood of a Honda, so I guess that the blower would get my vote.

Talking historically, my first thought is that both would qualify. I believe that it was the P51 mustangs that they put nitrous on, but then, it was a british engine (Rolls Royce). I know that they also used blowers on some Bentleys. So, maybe it would be best to think of both as British. Dang, I hate to think it's true!

Wes.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Gandalf....be careful what you ask for , you just may get it.

Umb, your gonna have to remind me what I asked for ;P

And don't get my other posts wrong, I won't try to tell anyone that it is bad to have nitrous or a blower, I just feel that it is more impressive to make killer power without the help of nitrous or a blower. I also won't argue that it's a lot cheaper to make that power with nitrous, but I want my power all day long!

Chris

P.S. I wouldn't whine because somebody beat me with nitrous, because I wouldn't feel bad about losing to a car with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am do ing a 69 SS396 and thinking of putting nitrous on it I was thinking of the under the carb type of plate or something stealthy because I want the car to look completely stock under the hood the rest of my Chevelle is going to look as original as possible but will have a complete Hotchkiss suspension. For me the only reson it would be there is the occasional stop light to stop light run. Like the suspension it is there to increase my desired performance. If I race and win great, if I race and loose great, I had fun and that's what its all about. About the original post i will have to go with Blowers, after all they are big,power makers that use burn gas by gallons per hour and not miles per gallon. What could be more American than that!!

If anyone has any ideas on dong a No2 set up like I would like to have please e-mail me.
Joe Harrison
[email protected]

------------------
Gold Member #164

[This message has been edited by Joe Harrison (edited 07-10-99).]

[This message has been edited by Joe Harrison (edited 07-10-99).]

·
Registered
283 Posts
Truly American= Blower and Nitrous with a gun under the seat.
he,he,hey.
Harley

·
Registered
421 Posts
My vote for most american would be an AMC AMX with the "american flag" paint scheme. with a huge AMC 390 with dual supers with dual carbs and foggers and twin turbos hanging off the headers, which of course go through the hood. this car should have tiny little 12x2 front wheels and 60" slicks out back... it should be packing a 4 speed rock-box and something near 5.88 rears. It should have ladder bars and a cage and should idle like a wet dog!

And it should have a "**** Happens" bumper sticker and be blaring "Freebird".

------------------
Francis Taracido
[email protected]
Proud Patron of Quadzilla
http://members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html

·
Registered
326 Posts
Not everyone can afford to build some crazy motor that can run 9's on the motor. And it doesn't matter how you loose, you can't make excuses afterwards. And you think that other guy cares how you feel about it. If you try and make excuses, "oh! you used nitrous so that doesn't count". That guy will laugh at you even more. "HAHA, what a sore loser. I still beat you".

I hate the stigma that follows nitrous. If you have it, even when you don't use it people try and say you did. And they think your car is only fast on the nitrous. I hate sore losers. Mostly punks in trashed out imports.

Back to the topic at hand. Being American is about WINNING! Being bigger, faster, and louder! We like to show off. We like being the best. And we don't make excuses(except for politicians). So whatever you want, blower or nitrous is ok by me.

Because going fast IS looking good.

------------------
David Nafarrete
Team Chevelle Gold
1965 406 6speed
(almost on the road again)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Been a while for me, but when I used to hang out with the crowd that street raced, allowances were haggled over like a land deal. You looked over the guys ride, made your calculations, and gave X number of car lengths to the guy who supposedly had the dis-advantage. If you guessed wrong, you lost. Seems to me that nitrous would be the same way. Hidden nitrous, used to win real money or more, would be cause for a butt kicking, in my book. As long as it is up front, let the best man/machine win.
John Walker

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.