Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
70 el camino 350
Since i yanked all the a.c out of the car,,its time to wire up the blower motor that was never wired up, after looking at my scamatics,,it shows a 16 tan wire going to a switch ( thermal ) mounted on my evaporator housing, is this wire needed? ,, and if so,, where does it connect to,now that the a.c is gone, all my other wires going to the relay and resistor are in place.
any help would be appreciated
Dan

·
Registered
262 Posts
Dan

The information that follows is for a 71 but I believe they are the same as your 70.

The tan wire that is connected to the thermal switch is not needed for fan operation. The thermal switch will turn the compressor on or off depending on air temp in the housing.

The resistor and relay must remain operational.
The switches in the dash (blower switch and the switches on the selector arms should remain operational).
At the blower you should have two wires. one was originally purple. This wire goes from the positive terminal on the blower then splits to two locations. First location is the resistor, the second location is the relay.
The second wire on the blower was originally blue and is connected to ground.

Electrically the A/C system is best left intact, the compressor and thermal switch are about all you can remove from the system and still have a blower and air vents that work.

Clark

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info on the 16 tan wire,,
All the wires are pretty much hooked up to the blower motor, the 4 prong relay and a 3 prong resistor which should be a 4 prong, I bought it without having my diagram with me, oh well,,, ill have to pick one up. The problem im having is my scamatics dont make it very clear where to make all the connections to the relay and resistor ..
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dan

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was afraid you were going to say that!!!

My wiring diagrams dont show this very well either so I went out to the garage and looked at my car (my blower works as advertised). Well start with the resistor.

The resistor has 4 connections on it layed out in a "T" pattern. (On My car it is installed so that it looks like an upside down "T") The 16 guage yellow wire is connected to the top of the upside down "T". The next wire down is the 14 gauge light blue wire. the left side of the "T" is the 12 gauge Dark blue wire. The right side is the 16 gauge green wire.

The relay is going to be hard to explain.
Imagine that the relay is in our hand. hold it so the prongs are facing you. turn it so the single prong connector is to the left of the other 3. Got it? Good.
The single prong sitting to the left is connected to a black wire which is ground.
Now, of the three prongs on the right, the one closest to the black wire is connected to a 12 gauge purple wire. this leaves two prongs (one above the other) The top prong is connected to a dark blue wire. the bottom plug is connected to two Orange wires.

Clear as mud ?
Whew!

Clark

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.