Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a strange problem a while back, with the blower on high one day, it just suddenly sputtered off and on a couple times, and has never blown on high since. At first i thought it would probably be the relay mounted next to it under the hood, but i changed that and no diff. Checked out the switch too. Really strange the way it "died" though. The lower speeds still work fine. Suggestions?

-Rich

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Forgot what you are driving..too early.
Maybe check the wires from the switch to the heater resistor or the resistor itself.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the high blower speed is not controlled by the relay and instead is, for the most part a straight feed. Look for a 10 ga red wire that goes to a connector in the alternator harness that should be to the left of the carb when you are looking at it from in front of the car and see if the connector looks like it is melted or discolored and you have probably found the problem. What I do is cut the wire on both sides of the connector and splice them together and solder and shrink wrap them. Check this out and keep us posted.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
there is only one way to fail, and thats to quit.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Rhawki
Leo got a good point but I still don't remember what you drive.

Jeffry72
You need to look at and take some measurements on the heater resistor. Speed of the fan is slowed up by selecting a resistor in the circuit. You already changed out the switch. My guess is the resistor network needs replacing. But measure first. Could just be a bad connection.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John_Muha:
Forgot what you are driving..too early.
Maybe check the wires from the switch to the heater resistor or the resistor itself.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry about that, it's a '74 Malibu. Umm, heater resistor?

Chev64, thanks for the info, will check that out this weekend!

-Rich

·
Read Only
589 Posts
Rich,
That 10 gauge wire also has a 20 amp fuse in it. They usually are located on the firewall behind the distributor. The fuse connector would melt. My friends 77 Monte had this problem. Its a common problem on Mid 70's Chevys with A/c.

------------------
Tino #28 Gold
72 Malibu 350-300,700R4
83 Grand Prix LJ 305

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Leo and Tino are right. This wire gets cooked back there. Found the same thing wrong on my son's 76 Camaro.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Darn,I forgot about the fuse, musta had a brain cramp.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
there is only one way to fail, and thats to quit.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet! That sounds like my prob. Will check it out. I don't remember any type of fuse though, it's usually mounted on the firewall you say? And where is that heater resistor located? Thanks for the help everyone!!!

-Rich

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If the fuse is in the same place as the 76 Camaro:
It is an inline fuse. Located in a wire that goes over the back of the engine behind the distributor. Large white fuse holder in the line I remember right.

The heater resistor is located on the heater box inside the car, under the glove box.

·
Read Only
589 Posts
Rich,
It might also be located in the plastic channel on the firewall just above the distributor.

------------------
Tino #28 Gold
72 Malibu 350-300,700R4
83 Grand Prix LJ 305

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
That dang resistor sure moves around! (Got to quit trying to do three things while having lunch at work.)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks (again) all! Yea i was just taking a quick peek the other night and thought there might be a fuse hiding in that black channel like Tino suggested. Will have to start huntin! "I'm hunting wesistors - huhuhuhuhuh"

-Rich

1 - 15 of 15 Posts