Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 71 chevelle. i am 17 an aspiring mechanic. i have air conditioning original i think i'mnot sure. its not new style (huge evaporator coar mounted on firewall). but anyways my prob is. when i move the fan switch absoluty nothin happens. i dont think the blower (fan) is workin. what would i do to check the blower. without buying another one. idont have that kinda money laying around i dont think anyone does. i had planed on checking the blower and if its good then its in the switch but i didnt know how to chekc the blower. thanks for all ur help and advice. its all muchly apreciated.

micah #81

·
Registered
635 Posts
Blower motors are not expensive they're like 20 bucks at a parts store. It could be the motor or the relay. In order to get to the motor you have to remove the passenger side fenderwell. (at least I had to on my dad's 72)I'm not sure how to check to see if it is the problem, but a new one will blow better anyway.

------------------
1969 chevelle
built 350/th350
SCCCC member
http://home.earthlink.net/~thebergmans3

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There's a purple wire that goes between the fan and the relay under the hood near the right side firewall. Put 12 volts on that wire from the battery. That should tell you if the fan motor is good. Don't assume it's a switch problem if the fan motor runs. There is more than 1 switch in the circuit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i checked the fan it is workin. and i checked all the fuses ( i think there are only two right one in the fusebbox and one in the wire between the relays). so what else do i check? i dont know if this is relevant but i can hear what sounds like a vacuum leak comin from behind the controls in the dash. would that effect my motor not comin on? or is is sopposed to make that sound? it could be the resistor or the relay right? so how do i check those? thanks for ur help

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Got a test meter? If not you will need one. Do you see any voltage on the tan or gray wires after you move the HOT/COLD levers on? Measure these wires on the HIGH/LOW fan select switch. No, the vacuum noises don't have anything to do with the fan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts