Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, just get a new one....... Would prefer though to keep my original, date coded one.. It runs, perhaps a bit noisy, but while the car is fully disassembled I'd like to find someone who could do this properly. I've read about using different oils etc and will try that, but has anyone found a rebuilder ?

Viz

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I think they're pretty easy to find if you're looking for a dated motor. List the date you're after and I'll check my stash. The noise usually comes from the scroll either being broken or chewed from rodents. I've tested all mine and they normally run just fine, unlike wiper motors.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Look for a local electric motor rebuilder. See if they can take care of it

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
The problem with rebuilding motors is that usually the bearing and the shaft on the blade end of the motor gets worn.

Of course a new bearing can be installed but the portion of the shaft that rides in the bearing now being worn undersized is a problem.

An internally smaller bearing will not pass over the unworn section of the shaft and the cost to build up (or turn down) the shaft for an inexpensive motor is out of the question.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Mine screeched when it was slowing down to a stop and I mean screeched. Seeing it looked like the outer case was welded together I looked for some holes in the areas where I knew the bearings would be. I figured before I went out and bought a new one I would try getting some WD-40 in the areas of the front and rear bearing. As soon as I did it as I sprayed the fluid in I was spinning the cage at the same time and you could feel it free right up. Put it back in the car about 3 years ago and it runs fine on every speed and I can only here it if the motors not running. :thumbsup:

·
Gold Founding Member
63,037 Posts
Many times all a motor needs is lubrication. Now if there just was a way to get oil into the bearings, some are almost impossible.

I've saved customers hundreds of dollars over the years by fixing their motors rather than selling them a new one.
(not car blower motors but same basic principles)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts