Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this question before and took the advise on the responses but no change yet in the condition. This is what I have. A 1970 L34 rebuilt with approx 1,100 miles on the motor. If anytime during a highway cruise the RPM's reach 2,800 or greater the motor will blow oil from the valve cover breather. I replaced the breather and grommet (grommets were opened) on one side and the PCV and grommet on the other with new pieces and did verify vacuum at the PCV. No change. Then I purchased another breather in place of the PCV and plugged the vacuum on the carb that went to the PCV. No change. I can drive the car at highway speeds (65-70 2,800-3,100 rpm) come to a stop on an exit ramp and see smoke coming from under the hood. When I open the hood (Suprise!!) I find the reason for the smoke is all the oil blowing out of the #%%# breathers is now on the headers. My engine builder is claiming the rings haven't seated yet and the motor needs more time?? Eleven hundred miles seems to more than enough time to seat rings doesn't it?
Thanks in advance or all your help.

Dave Kidwell

W

·
0 Posts
I say this again, and BillK will back me up on this, the rings are seated on the engine stand if the block is prepared correctly.

If you have that much oil top side there is a serious problem. The rings are not sealing, or worse it could have a hole in a piston. I had a rat that burned a hole in one piston, ran fine at low rpm but smoked like a big dog as the rpms went above 3K.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wally,

I had a friend follow me on the highway and he claims (the best of his knowledge) that the smoke was coming from the front of the car only. No smoke from the exhaust. Does this change anything?

Thanks
Dave Kidwell

W

·
0 Posts
That much oil out of the breathers is a problem. The pressure is there because it's in the crankcase. Some pressure is normal and the breathers handle it, but this sounds excessive.

Have a look at the plugs ans see if they show signs of oil fouling. Intake gasket leaks can cause oil problems as well.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

[This message has been edited by Wally (edited 10-05-99).]

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I once had a 400 CI Ram Air GTO that did the same thing. Blew oil out of the breather after a hard run thru the gears. Took the motor out and removed the pistons. It had cracked rings in nearly every cyl.

The guy before me had done a "rebuild" consisting of Rings and Bearings and some balancing work but the reality of the deal was that it was a half baked rebuild. No rebore of the cyls. just new rings and a balance job.

Unless you have inadequate breathing to vent that crank case you have serious problems in that motor. PCV's and breathers handle normal amounts of pressure under normal circumstances. Without the breather / PCV system working correctly normal pressure levels within a healthy engine will inevitably build to a point where it finds a way to escape.

Take it appart and find out what is wrong. Don't do a quick and dirty rebuild like my GTO had. If you want it right you gotta step up and do it right.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I called the fella that did the rebuild and he is standing behind his work. He has asked that I leave the car with him to perform leak down and compression checks. If necessary he has also volunteered to remove the motor,tear in down to find the problem and make any necessary repairs at no cost to me. I guess I was looking in other areas because this guy has an excellent reputation and was recommended by several of my friends, racers and restoration people in my area. He is extremely busy and possibly something was overlooked during the process or a new employee missed something. who knows? I know I've learned alot by the mistakes that I have made and the posts I've read on this site. Hopefully nothing serious has happened since the motor in my 70 SS is the original L34.
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

·
Registered
341 Posts
DITTO!

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Original GM chrome covers are installed with drippers and baffles. I was hopeing it was something as simple as this but no luck. I delivered the car to my builder last night around 7:00. He left a message last night around 10:00 to say he was pulling the motor overnight and would call me as soon as possible. The only clue he gave was a compression check verified a bigger problem. I'm happy with his dedication and service but a little nervous about what can possibly be damaged inside? Broken ring??? Paticles in the crank bearings?? I'm feeling a little sick to my stomach thinking about it.
By the way I get paid this Friday and the same day my check and membership to the site is going in the mail. I'd urge anyone who has been thinking about doing it to stop thinking and write the check out. Not to sound like a commercial but I think the advise and tips are priceless.

Thanks
Dave.

·
Registered
8 Posts
had the same problem with my 70 402 the oil
ring had folded out of the gland when the piston was put in but if this is the case a spark plug would be discolored

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.