Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a chance to pick up a damaged shp block. and im wondering what you guys think about its strength versus a stock 400 block.

the block is a dart shp block
4.125 std bore it broke a rod in the number i cylinder it slaped the pan rail and put some nicks in number one bore will bore out good at .060 over or needs a sleve to run 4.125 or 4.155.
it also broke a small hole in the thin casting at the bottum of number 2 to 4 cylinders. this is the very thin casting where the bore is cut into the main webing. and the casting is about an 1/8 inch thick. you can see where a piece was wedged between the crank and block and broke it out.

it looks to be a very fixable block but it was hammered very hard. im thinking it will take a sleve, a new bore to 4.155 and a good checking of the linebore to see its still streight. any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
Sounds about right...

Crank bore is probably still straight, although checking anything is about always a good idea. Nothing wrong with doing that.

You could epoxy over the little hole with some screen in it, just enough to hold some block fill, and fill the bottom little bit of the water jacket. Maybe up to the bottom of the freeze plugs (maybe ½-¾"? I don't know for sure in that kind of block). The effect on cooling would be basically neglible.

Should be a good bit more reliable at high power levels than a stock block. Hard to say about "worth it", without knowing what you're envisioning subjecting it to.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the hole does not go thru to water it is just a hole from one side of the crank webing to the other just at the thin spot where the cylinder is cut into the web. and the engine still held water pressure after it poped. i have looked it over good and it looks like a good piece that needs a little tlc. i was thinking about a short fill as well just to be safe. and sturdy it up a bit. these shp blocks look very good. if they rate these for 600 hp my stock block is only good to 300hp.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts