Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't done this in about 15 years, but I'm gonna give it a shot.

When you use a power drill hone with emery paper what grit emery paper do you use? I am re-ringing. The bores are clean, but want to give them a quick once over with the drill hone for the new rings. Also I have never used the stones that come on the honing tool, I've always wrapped the tool with the emery paper.

I used to do this all the time back in my shop days but can't remember the emery cloth grit we used.

The bottom end was solid but inside of the engine is very dirty, therefore I need to pull it apart to clean properly. I'll be changine the bearings and rings only. Clearances are good so far using plasti-guage.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Additional info:

Found an online article that said 100 grit, that seems very course. Also found a small engine article that said 600 grit, seems to fine.

Looking at available emery cloth its listed as fine, medium, and coarse ??????

·
Super Moderator
13,348 Posts
Rob,
Do yourself a favor .... do not do what you are describing. Modern piston rings need a lot better finish than the ones used 15 years ago. I have seen too many guys ruin cylinder walls using the type of hone you are describing. The stone type hones, even with emery paper, do not conform to the cylinder walls and will miss any low spots unless you take a bunch of metal out.

If you are going to do anything, buy a 320 grit "dingle ball" hone and use that with copious amounts of honing oil. You also need to make sure the crosshatch angle is correct, somewhere close to 45 deg will be ok, the ring manufacturers all have good pics and instructions on thier web sites. Most electric drills are too fast, you need something around 400 - 500 rpm or you will not be able to "stroke" fast enough to get the correct angle.

http://www.goodson.com/store/templa...IID=2851&SID=f8425ffb16b56bbf044f46529c8c37d2

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bill,

I think I'll just leave well enough alone and just clean it as best as I can. Why fix what ain't broken.

Maybe you can help me out figuring CR in the Perf Section???

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
I use the "dingleberry" style when I just want a "freshen up" hone as BillK says and a "variable speed" drill motor that allows speed control. Its not a complicated thing to do. Don't be afraid to perform this little task. Your new rings will love you for it. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.