Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all

i can turn on my headlight no problem - but once i step on the button to turn on high beam - both headlights would start flashing. it is good when im mad at someone - but gets really anonying when at night while to try to find a street.

where do you guys think i should start?

thanks

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm guessing you're running the Halogen replacement lamps, because I had similar trouble. Mine would work for a few minutes then start dropping out.

The foot-switch can't handle the added current since it's now powering four halogen high beams. I'm pretty sure the halogens draw more current than the old style lamps.

Use a relay for your high-beams. Then the foot-switch will only be carrying the current of the relays coil (milliamps) rather than all four headlights (lots of amps). It won't hurt to use a relay for the low-beams as well. They'll burn brighter.

I buy my relays from Radio Shack Online (not available in their stores) for about $2 each, and figure another $2 or so for the plug-in harness. They work great.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Have you tried unplugging one lamp at a time and seeing if the blinking stops? Need to try this on all four lights. All four should come on in high beam mode. Guessing one of the lamps has a problem and is tripping the circuit breaker inside the head light switch.

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i threw in some old headlights that i had from another car - they were 70s orgional and my problem is gone. guess the blue light was yanking too much electricity

thanks!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
John,

Could you elaborate on what type problems you refer too here?

"Have you tried unplugging one lamp at a time and seeing if the blinking stops? Need to try this on all four lights. All four should come on in high beam mode. Guessing one of the lamps has a problem and is tripping the circuit breaker inside the head light switch. "

I'm still struggling with this same issue intermittently.

Would you suggest replacing both high beam lights as a first step in the replace it until it goes away process?

Note that I put in a new floor switch and headlight switch when I rewired the car.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only one who's experienced this with all new wiring, lamps, lamp-sockets, and switches.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Redrum:
John,

Could you elaborate on what type problems you refer too here?

"Have you tried unplugging one lamp at a time and seeing if the blinking stops? Need to try this on all four lights. All four should come on in high beam mode. Guessing one of the lamps has a problem and is tripping the circuit breaker inside the head light switch. "

I'm still struggling with this same issue intermittently.

Would you suggest replacing both high beam lights as a first step in the replace it until it goes away process?

Note that I put in a new floor switch and headlight switch when I rewired the car.
Actually Chad nailed it by guessing that there were newer high current halogens installed in there. Elaborate on my guess? Well, OK. The problem was described as an on-off flashing of the headlights. Saw it as more of the "police car" effect than the pulsing that one might get at idle. The on-off effect, on all the lights, is caused by the circuit breaker tripping: lights off, cooling and closing: lights on, and repeating the cycle. High current trips the circuit breaker inside the headlight switch.
Since I didn't know that the lights were high current halogens, I guessed that something on the high beam circuit was intermittently tripping the breaker. Guessed at the possibility of something wrong with one of the headlights. By unplugging them one at a time, that possibility can be eliminated if one light behaves differently than the others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts