Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I have a 70 chevelle. The front blinkers do not work. Also, when i turn the blinkers on, the blinker lights in the dash do not come on, but the rear blinkers work. There are some ground wires in the forward lamp harness that i have screwed into the radiator core support. Is that the correct position for them, or do i have some other problem? All the bulbs are replaced. I did have a leaky battery, but i inspected the wires going to the side marker and front blinker on that side, and they look undammaged. Oh yeah, the hazard lights only work in the rear also. Could it be in the steering column? Thanks for any comments.

Ray

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jerry's pretty good that fixing this problem. The 70 and earlier years gets a ground for those front signal lamps through the front bumper, through the brackets, and through the frame.
Try turning them on and touching the bulb base, right where it meets the glass with a piece of wire. Touch the other end of the jumper wire to a clean spot on the core support. See if the light works with that test.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well i got the front passenger side blinker working. I used a fluke to see if i was getting any current to the light bulb socket of the driver side. I wasnt getting anything there. So i tried the connector on the forward lamo harness, none there either. I checked the connection at the fuse block, everything seems to have good contact. Dash blinker lights still do not work. This boggles me. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If everything seems to have a good contact, why measure current? Does the signal wires, inside the socket, have 12 volts back to a known good reference ground?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YES, i used a voltmeter to test inside the socket. I ran the ground to the battery negative and the hot to the socket terminals. No current. No current from the forward lamp harness either. But the contacts in the fuse block looks fine.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Do you have the pulsed turn signal voltage on the turn signal switch connector? Have you measured each of the blue wires to ground?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
First things first.
Check the bulbs and the grounds. If still no go disconnect the turn signal switch. You should have about 8 wires
Brake T/S-Flasher Emergency-Flasher LF RF LR RR Horn. If needed run a long jumper wire from the battery through a fuse and juice a wire directlly at the t/s switch. That should turn the bulb on if not check for voltage at contact and ground relative to battery negative. Get a wiring diagram and copy just the circuit in question if needed. It should be easy to trace this way.
Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts