Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 el camino. I can't figure out why my blinkers and hazards suddenly stoped working. I was wondering if there is a relay switch somewhere, and if not where should i begin troubleshooting?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,063 Posts
My 72 has two relay switches. The one for the hazards is on the fuse box and is silver. The one for the blinkers is stuffed up above the steering column just above the radio.

You can turn on the blinkers and hear the relzy click. Same for the hazards.

You can get new ones at any parts store. do a search for my name and/or blinker relay. I listed a part number. something like EL12. It served to increase my too-slow blinker rate.

-yes there are ways to trouble shoot, but I want to confiurm that your 67 isn't different in configuration.
Two prongs, One get's 12 volts from IGN, the other goes to the blinker switch on the column, then on to the bulbs. The completed circuit causes the blinker relay to pulse.

------------------
-Just call me Otis
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

[This message has been edited by BB_Mike (edited 06-18-2002).]

·
Premium Member
19,928 Posts
A bad ground can also cause them not to blink. I had that happen on my 67 Elky. Is it just one side or both that don't blink?

The hazard blinker is in the fuze box and the directional blinker is as stated, hidden up on the right side of the steering column. It may still have a little u-bracket that it fits into making it even tougher to find. If you can see the wire colors, the directional blinker has a purple wire and a brown wire coming from the connector - the flasher will only fit one way.

I have some wiring diagrams on my 67 site at http://www.team67.com/information/index.htm and click the "Wiring Diagrams" link on the left if it'd help any.

------------------
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
GR8PMKN

Dale's Place Team 67
Midwest Chevelle Regional Governing Council
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts