Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new battery in my '70 LS-5. All of a sudden, nothing electrical works in the car, no dome light, no clock, no nothing. The battery has voltage, and the connections are tight. When trying the ignition, there is nothing. The last time I drove the car (last week), when leaving my destination the ignition failed, everything blaked out, but then mysteriously came back and I was able to crank the car and get it home. Can someone please diagnose this for me?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds Like your ground. Also check to see if you alternator cable is tight. Remove your grounds and connect a Test Light inline and see when the key is turned to acc. if it lights (leave door open and/or turn radio on). To connect the test light just connect the clip to the Ground cable and have someone hold the test tip against the Neg post. When you open the door if your ground are good the current should pass thru the light lighting it. When in doubt always remove your grounds and clean the frame and body connection area and inspect the cables.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, it turned out to be a low battery, which was brand new. I took it back to Auto Zone and they charged it and said the battery is good. Does it sound like I have an alternator problem? How do you troubleshoot for a bad alternator?

Dean...Sorry to hear about the totaled '69!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts