Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 72 SS convertible is cranberry red w/ white top and interior. When I redo the interior and top, I am thinking of going black instead of white. I really like the look.

Current colors are original, but the car has wrong motor and trans, so I am not really worried about being non-original.

Car had A/C originally, and I plan to put A/C back on it before too long. Black is definitely hotter...

I already needed a new top and boot, new door panels and seat covers. I am assuming the other white parts can be painted black. Seat base and back, back seat side pieces. Therefore I am assuming that I won't be spending too much additional money by switching colors.

Any other thoughts or opinions on this switch?

------------------
1972 Chevelle SS Convertible w/ 454

·
Premium Member
17,418 Posts
Well,

White looks nicer IMO,

White is not as common. It seems like most (not all) Chevelles have the black interior... And Cranberry Red Chevelles seem ultra common. Why not keep it a little more unique...

White interior uses black dash, carpets, etc.

Personally, with a white top, I'd go with the white seats... Sorry, I forgot you are thinking of changing the top...

Does the car have the SS stripes? If so, what color?

White takes more work to keep clean, but really not that much...

To me, white seats feel cooler on hot summer days...

My votes on white. When it comes down to it, its your decision, and a big one at that...

I would take my time...

I switched to white myself a few years ago, and I will never go back to black, unless its for documented originality...

------------------

"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."
TC #1366
Tony
The Chevelle
Dual Quad 396
Side View

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 01-10-2003).]

·
Registered
456 Posts
I am with Tony on this. My buddy and I had matching 69 Lemans convert's a few years back. His had a black top and interior, mine had a white top/interior. Living in SoCal, in the summer his car was damn hot. The white interior is way cooler, and does not require that much extra effort to keep clean. It looks nicer with the top down also (IMO).
Jim

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's some pictures of the car as it sits today...

------------------
1972 Chevelle SS Convertible w/ 454

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I also vote keep it white. But it is your car. Do what you want with it and just make sure you are happy. Otherwise you won't want to be in the hobby for too long.

Good luck with what you decide on.

And BTW, you got a damn good deal on that car. I've always wanted a convert.

Joe

------------------
The Chevelle Page

·
Registered
334 Posts
Beauty ! I'd keep it white.

------------------
Ed
'68 El Camino (Current Project)
'66 Caddy Conv (Cruiser)
'87 Vette Conv (Daily Driver)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's looking kind of unanimous. Plus, my wife weighed in with a vote for white as well. One more factor is the fact that my father used to have 72 Cutlass Supreme convertible, red w/ white top and interior. So there is the nostalgia factor here too. I may have to reconsider.

Perhaps I'll get out there and try to clean the white up as best I can this weekend. Maybe I'll like it better then...

Thanks for the opinions...

·
Premium Member
17,418 Posts
for cleaning,

I'd suggest trying Simple green with a nylon bristled brush...

My white interior is about 7 years old, and last year I finally got a top put on (had absolutley no top for years).

The interior needed a good cleaning... The Simple green was sprayed on liberally, an I scrubbed with the nylon brush (I actually used a bunch of old tooth brushes, but a fingernail or potatoe brush would probably be better).

It cleaned up very nicely, even in the seams where the threads looked a little dirty...

I would spray/scrub/spray some more/and wipe it off with some paper towels... Went through quite a bit of the stuff... But it worked great...

try a small inconspicuous spot first...

------------------

"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."
TC #1366
Tony
The Chevelle
Dual Quad 396
Side View

·
Registered
123 Posts
One thing you might want to consider is that those black interiors will be much warmer to sit in.
White tends to reflect radiant heat from sunlight whereas black tends to absorb it.
I've had a black interiored comvertible in the past and I wished it were white that's why I wound up selling it.

------------------
66SS396convertible http://snorlax23.tripod.com/

·
Registered
658 Posts
I also think it would look weird with it being red with white stripes and having a black top and interior. Plus you don't see it often and the red and white stripes with matching white top and interior looks real nice but its your call.

·
Registered
825 Posts
As I live in the south I am partial to white.
If not white at least make it cloth so it doesn't burn you up.

I also second the simple green and brush. I have a tan top on my Sebrind and I scrub it down good every couple of months and it makes a big difference in the apperance. I recomend rinsing it very thoroughly to make sure you dont have any residue. I had the top replaced and the shop owener even said a diluted bleach solution if it go too dirty but to rinse it good.
------------------
Deon Knecht
72 Malibu 350 that has been bored out to 4.251 on a 4" stroke.

<A HREF="http://home.sc.rr.com/deon" TARGET=_blank>
My Website Last updated on 10/28/2002 </A>

[This message has been edited by 72SS454Chevelle (edited 01-11-2003).]

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Your car looks great, but i alway like black stripes on red... black looks much "deeper" and gives the car a better overall look in most cases... but in this cae, your car looks good as it is, i wouldnt buy all new interior stuff... so after all that, i guess my vote is white too!

------------------
My 69 SS Elco
engine
interior

·
Registered
482 Posts
Dude,

White stripes with a white vert top is ultra-cool and very classy. It looks much better than black would.

And forget what tmetzler says...keep the Rallys!

I would, however, remove the two horizontal stainless trim rails in the center of the front grill. The SS cars did not have those two pieces installed and looks much better without them.

Dwayne

[This message has been edited by New68SS (edited 01-13-2003).]

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm with the white interior group,
mine was originally black (and hot)
Now my car is white, the top and stripes are black, the interior a combination of white and black, and for the top down the boot is black, I've got to get some pictures

------------------
RicksRag
Stephen City, Va
TC # 560
ACES # 3702
VCEA # 3

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by New68SS:
I would, however, remove the two horizontal stainless trim rails in the center of the front grill. The SS cars did not have those two pieces installed and looks much better without them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are not the first person to mention that. I guess at some point someone replaced the original grill with this one, and stuck on the SS badge. Do you think it's possible to successfully remove those two rails w/out destroying the grill? I'll have to take a look at that when I get the car out of the shop later this week.

I also need to remove the COWL INDUCTION badges that someone stuck on the non-cowl induction hood. I'll probably leave the 454 fender badge even though it was originally a 350, since it does have a 454 now...

[This message has been edited by gigem (edited 01-13-2003).]

·
Registered
482 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gigem:
Do you think it's possible to successfully remove those two rails w/out destroying the grill?

[This message has been edited by gigem (edited 01-13-2003).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, it is possible and probably easier than you think. After you take a good look at it you will see that its not to difficult to remove. Just take you time.

Dwayne

1 - 20 of 21 Posts