Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a huge tree next to my driveway and birds seem to congregate in it by the droves. I wouldn't have a problem with that except that you can't park a car in the driveway for more that 10 minutes without it getting splattered with bird crap! I'm sick of it. Is there anything I can do besides spray the tree with shotgun pellets? :angry:

I've heard that putting up a plastic owl might help to scare them off... is that true?

Cutting the tree down isn't really an option.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I remember hearing a lady my wife worked with talk about the plastic owl thing. She said it seemed to be working until the morning she went out to find two starlings roosting on it!:D

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
I have a huge tree next to my driveway and birds seem to congregate in it by the droves. I wouldn't have a problem with that except that you can't park a car in the driveway for more that 10 minutes without it getting splattered with bird crap! I'm sick of it. Is there anything I can do besides spray the tree with shotgun pellets? :angry:

I've heard that putting up a plastic owl might help to scare them off... is that true?

Cutting the tree down isn't really an option.
join the club.

we haven't figured it out either

·
Registered
766 Posts
I had a similar problem, I just scoured my property for the food they were after, once I found and removed all of the berries, the birds didn't like the tree so much. It didn't get rid of them completly but probably 90% of the poop was gone.
You can see the shade it provides my driveway.

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
Get a piece of PVC 6 foot or so and whack the top of a plastic trash bin. They will leave immediately but will come back in 15 minutes or so. After several whackings they will be gone. Sounds just like a shotgun.
Jon

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I had a similar problem, I just scoured my property for the food they were after, once I found and removed all of the berries, the birds didn't like the tree so much. It didn't get rid of them completly but probably 90% of the poop was gone.
You can see the shade it provides my driveway.
That is a spitting image of my driveway.... fruitless Mulberry tree covering my driveway in my yard.....

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Nope, I had a retarded woodpecker that would peck on my AC unit on top of the roof. Also would get pigeons standing around on it and would get that stoopid noise they make coming through my duct work. I put up an owl, didn't do a thing. Went back up there to adjust the satelie dish and noticed it was even pooped on.

Only thing I can think of is find a neighbor you don't like with a big tree in their yard. Buy a bunch of bags of bird seed and throw it under his tree. Won't be long before they hang out in his tree for the free eats.

When I used to seed for winter grass there was always a feeding frenzy in my back yard. So I figured out when the neighbor was planting his grass, I'd do mine at the same time and I'd buy 2 20 lbs bags of bird seed. I'd throw the seed over the wall and most of the birds would hang out in his yard. He couldn't figure out why I was laughing when he came over to borrow my BB gun. :D

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Outside RV covering / tent of some sort, park in the garage, cut the tree down....or spend a good amount of time looking nuts in front of your house cursing at a tree and tossing stuff into it while playing drums with PVC pipe on a trashcan. With the trashcan method - its most effective in my experience to wear one of those jamaican hats with the dreadlocks built into em and birds REALLY take off when they hear the drum, see the dreads swinging and hearing you repeat "BUFFALO SOLDIER!!....DREAD LOCK RASTA!!" over and over.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Poop happens... :)

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BUY A CAT!!! CATS LOVE TO CLIMB TREES. Show them some cat nip up in the tree. They will always go back for it. END OF PROBLEM. Plus their good mousers!! Cat are good for sneaking up on birds. try it. nothing to lose but some POOP!!
I have 3 already. They're all indoor and rear wheel drive, though.

·
Registered
229 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is a company called Bird-X, Inc. which specializes in humane bird control for over 40 years. They have a variety of affordable products that really work. I had a similar problem. For more info visit www.bird-x.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.