Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the price of diesel around here at $4.14, I've been seriously considering getting one of those converters that changes cooking oil into burnable diesel. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of setup, any recommendations, any brands that are good, bad or ugly, the basic stuff.
Thanks

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
not I, but I suspect the sources of free oil (restaurants) will dry up pretty quickly as more people try to get it. Following that, the price of new cooking oil will rise as well.

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
The key is a reliable and cheap(free) source of oil. I know one guy who does it and has been a while.

A friend of mine is looking into it. He asked a friend who works at a resturant if he could get oil. He was told he could try but the guy who disposes of the oil used to come around every other month and charge $30 to take it now comes around every month and does it for free! And he gets mighty upset if someone takes his oil.

That's the way this biodiesel thing is going to go.

And then you have to worry about the government kicking your door in looking for all the road tax you aren't paying.

·
Registered
80 Posts
No good. The estimates of what that machine can produce in so many hours are very very loose. Most of the components are also very 'cheap' and that can obviously be seen by the use of a large plastic tank for the reactor. A good biodiesel reaction needs to be quite hot = melting of plastic.

I've been researching a setup for nearly six months now, and if you want a reliable, easy-to-operate setup, then you should be looking into a BioPro 150/190/380.

http://www.utahbiodieselsupply.com/biopro190.php

Other factors to take into account: building relationships with restaurants in order to collect their oil for free. Having the proper containers to collect the oil in at the restaurants, as well as a regular pickup schedule. Before any of this can be done, however, the oil needs to be checked for water and titration. If the oil isn't within a certain range of standards, the final biodiesel product will be of a very poor quality.

Also, Methanol is required for the reaction process no matter what reactor you decide to use. Some local laws state that a private residence cannot store more than a certain amount of methanol.

Climate is also a big deal. If you're living in a colder enviroment, the biodiesel will have to be 'cut' with petro-diesel in the winter time in order to combat gelling of the fuel.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
If a vehicle is to be stored biodiesel will gum up and cause problems later.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
I have looked into this long ago and unless you can get a good source of cooking oil its all useless..Be prepaired to start paying $1-$2 per gallon of used cooking oil.:sad: Thats what it takes around my area now that some of the biodiesel makers have ruined it because they are large consumers of diesel.
Plus all the time and materials to make it its useless around my area and is just easier to bite the bullet and pay the $4.50 for diesel.
This gas and diesel prices is going to destroy our country and the way we used to live, that is going to be a way of the past and now the future is ahead and its going to be very rough for the world to be unknown.
Its very sad time for a lot of people because we are at the mercy of big government and oil industries that is more worried about profits.
So we are all doomed unless something very drastic changes soon.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you've got dual tanks you just need to filter the oil very, very well. Then have one tank for diesel and the other for oil. After the motor is started and hot on diesel, switch tanks to the oil. When you park you must run all the oil out of the lines with diesel, or it won't start after it cools.

Of course you still have to worry about cold temps gelling the oil so you would also need to add heat tape to your fuel lines and maybe a heater in the tank.

I've got a friend who runs his cummins this way with no problem.

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
I even looked into making a large pond and growing algae to make diesel.
Way too much time and $$ to waste my time on.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I've recently seen ads in Craigslist for people with restaurants offering free used oil so it's still out there, but I have the same concerns that it'll dry up quickly as more people get into making their own biodiesel. I guess we gotta start eating more french fries. Whatever it takes to reduce our dependance on foreign oil.

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
Contact Gene Chaas...he's been running his M-B on "wing gas" for a while. :cool:

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
I did up my 240D with parts from McMaster-Carr and Northern tool for less than $500. It works great, you just have to have the time to filter and all that mess. And that is if you use only WVO. If you are going to make true biodiesel that won't gum up in the winter, and you don't have to heat your fuel lines for, you will be messing with precipitating the glycerine out of it. This takes heating a mixture of WVO, Methanol and sodium cloride/ate to do.

On the up side, if you can find a little soap making outfit nerby, they sometimes will take the glycerine off your hands. Otherwise you have to find a place for that.

There are other considerations too. Let me know if you want more info.

K

·
Registered
227 Posts
biodiesel

anyone on here makeing it or running it. i want to make it and sell it to fishermen in my area for cheap so they arent all going as broke. but im not totally clear what i have to do to make it so it wont hurt anything. i want to use waste cooking oil and i want to run 100% bio fuel.

·
Registered
8,874 Posts
It doesn't matter what you run your car on, If it runs on water that will soon be $4.00 a gallon. :(

LK

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
The key is a reliable and cheap(free) source of oil. I know one guy who does it and has been a while.

A friend of mine is looking into it. He asked a friend who works at a resturant if he could get oil. He was told he could try but the guy who disposes of the oil used to come around every other month and charge $30 to take it now comes around every month and does it for free! And he gets mighty upset if someone takes his oil.
No offence to that guy but unless he has some sort of contract with the resturaunt, screw him. He has no given rights to state claim on the oil. This is a similiar thing that scrap metal guys are going through now also. Several guys going to shops with no regards of any sort of territorial regards on another scrap metal guy in the area. They dont have any "dibs" on any shops around here either. Our shop finally decided to keep all of our own scrap metal and share the profits with each employee or buy lunch for the shop.

I am not supprised that used cooking oil is being sold instead of given away and I agree, it will only get worse when gas prices go up.

The setup that Stacy had on an old episode of Trucks was about the nicest one I know of.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.