Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 69 chevelle, everything under the hood is brand new, starter, alternater, everything, however once in a while it wont start, like the battery is dead and when i try to start it my ground wire from the negative terminal gets extrememly hot and melts. i thought that something was drawing power of the battery, but there was no arc or anything when i tryed to jump it to suggest that there was a draw. all the wiring is correct and all the parts are new so im unsure as to why this is happening.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,068 Posts
It is likely a poor connection. Most probably in the Starter motor circuit. Check the wires to and from it.

Visualize a path of current from the battery, to the starte, through the starte windings, then back to the battery. If at any time during the thought process you run into difficulty, so does your battery.

Be sure frame and block contacts have metal to metal contact and aren't painted on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Sounds like a ground problem to me. Should have a good ground from battery to engine. Then battery to fender,also fender to frame and engine to body.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top