Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I went to the local junkyard today, (playing hookey from work)

Anyway, there sits an untouched 72 4 door with factory air.

Since I was only planning on getting little knick knack parts I didn't have all my tools, but I did manage to get the entire dash out, stereo pad, original speakers, all of the a/c duct work and the entire wire harness for the dash and the a/c controls. All without breaking or cutting anything except the vacuum lines going to the a/c. (they're color coded so I figured it was safe.)

Anyway, the big question, will the kick panels off of a 4-door fit a 2-door coupe?

And before I go back for the rest of parts for the a/c, the main unit and the underhood components, Will they fit a 2-door?

And finally, will the radiator support and assorted parts interchange as well?

This car even had the plastic overflow bottle for the radiator and 3 core radiator with a shroud for a sbc. (yes I got that too!)

Now I just have to make it back before someone else gets to it.

Rick
72 Malibu
Team Chevelle Member #369

[This message has been edited by rlhelton (edited 09-30-99).]

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
everything you mentioned will fit the 2 or 4 door..just so you know you will have to break the A/C lines to get the radiator support and condenser off, the lines run through the support..If it was a working system I would reconnect the ends after you get it out to reduce the amount of moisture that gets in the parts.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
There are supposed to be some kind of block off's for the vents in the kick panels to prevent outside from getting inside the car. I am not sure what they look like but a friend told me he missed these items when he striped a car for the A/C.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The left side has a block off, the right side has a vacuum pod for the max air control, but it is covered up by the kick panel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. I saw the block off panel and the vacuum pod when I got the kick panels.
I stayed at the car till an hour before closing, so hopefully I'll get there tomorrow before anyone else (sick day
again). I'm going to get the a/c components, the steering column, there's no play in it, but it's not tilt, it has drums and a 10 bolt rear w/out the sway bar, but there's all kinds of little stuff that adds up. H*ll, the charcoal canister is still on it!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I thought about buying it, but they want way to much, it only cost me 75.00 so far, and the rest should be around 100.00, but they want 750.00, then I'd have to find a flatbed, etc.....It would be nice though

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey Rick, if you're thinking about buying the radiator support and ALL of the underhood A/C parts.. and it's still all sealed, just take it off as one unit.

What I mean is unbolt the "A/C suitcase" from the firewall, and the compressor from it's brackets (grab them too), and unbolt the radiator support and leave the hoses all conected and the system charged.

It'll assure the parts would be usable (probably) when you're ready for them.

Good hunting.
Len

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I made it back this morning at 8:00.

I got the whole radiator support and left everything attached to it including the front wiring harness. It will make it a lot easier to switch out. Ended up spending about 400.00 with yesterday and today. But I got everything that would be of any use

·
Registered
339 Posts
You realize the scrap yard got the car for 50 bucks. Who cares. Finding parts like this and getting a reasonable price is good enough. Salvage guy has to make a living too. Good deal. tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just picked up a complete (I hope) AC system from a 70 Monte Carlo. From what I can tell, it appears to match some parts I already have from my 70SS which came with factory AC. Unfortunately, the previous owner ripped out the underhood components, so I hope to replace them with these from the Monte Carlo. DOes anyone know if the MOnte parts are the same as the Chevelle?

Also, the hoses are disconnected. What must I do to get the moisture out? A normal recharge? And lastly, since a recharge is needed, what do I need to do to convert to the NEW Freon refrigerant rather than the old?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.