Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My machine shop said my 454 block, crank, and rods really aren't worth fixing. Basically I have a fair set of 781 heads and a big aluminum intake. I own a stock truck 327 that needs rebuilt. I have access to some other small blocks, but do not know their exact condition. One is a 1969 4 bolt 350 block. The second is a 400 2bolt short block assy. The final is a complete sbc and Mortec says it is either 302, 327, or 350 from 1967. My car is a 68 malibu I plan on running a M20 and rear gears are yet to be determined. I wanted a big block, but cash is snug. I was hoping to spend around 2500 on a engine. The local craigs list usually has a few big block for under 1000. What should I do? Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
I'd try to get some more detailed information other than 'not worth fixing'
Lots of people have ideas on what good parts are, others THINK they know what good parts are....

Is the guy telling you your crank is already cut 30/30 and has bad damage now or is he telling you in his mind that the cast crank is not worthy......

"no good" block because it is a 2-bolt?

"heads not worth a darn" because they are oval port?

All this stuff makes FINE street BBCs. Cheap too.

·
Registered
14,556 Posts
keep a eye out for a running mid 70s suburban, 3/4 ton 1 ton truck with a 454 thats already running in it. alot of them came with 049 or 781 heads. 8 to 1 compression. Best part is you can see it run, if you buy the whole truck, yank the motor/trans crush the body and probably get 3-400 bucks for the carcass. Jim

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
I'd be trying to dig up info on the 2-bolt 400. This may be a goody, especially if it's out an early 70's GTO.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bad parts are due to rust. Block will need at least two sleeves. The 781s are OK. The 400 is a sbc. I think it was from 1970. I want a big block, but may be able to build a small block fairly cheap. Does anyone regret building a small block?

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Jim,
What you're saying David is to look for is probably what he has already....except it sounds like it is apart. Send the Suburban to the recycling center....sweet!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had a nice 400sb that I built myself in my last chevelle (68 convert) and it was great.. tons of power. I was thrilled. Then I bought a big block.. the rest is history. If you really want a big block, then get a big block. :yes:

·
Premium Member
6,158 Posts
The bad parts are due to rust. Block will need at least two sleeves. The 781s are OK. The 400 is a sbc. I think it was from 1970. I want a big block, but may be able to build a small block fairly cheap. Does anyone regret building a small block?
I will tell you this. I've had my 66 for 23 years now (and the past 15 years my car's been sitting up) and about a year ago I got hot and heavy about the 496 stroker idea. I bought a complete 4-bolt 454 engine and tore it down and started geting my list together for my stroker plans. I figured that this would run me 6 grand minimum building it myself. This figure being more than I want to spend at one time led me into finding a nice 350/700r4 combo that was too good to turn down. Now I'm in the process of puting this combo in my car, but within the next year my 496 will be completed and I'll do a weekend swap and sell the 350. Do whatever you need to do right now to get your car going and make it better as you go.

·
Premium Member
11,203 Posts
Larry's in SoCal and probably a few others will sell you a solid 454 shortblock...about $1600 or so. Slap your (freshened) heads on...and other parts....pedal down and melt the tires!

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
400 SBC are really good engines. But there is a ring to BBC, I would shop around. I have picked up some great deals off e-bay. Stuff new in box for about half price.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've even thought about putting good heads and such on that 327 truck motor. I really don't know yet what I will do. Thanks for all of the responses.
David

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
I would first decide how much power you want, then go from there.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Buy any good Chevy BB, from a Suburban, truck, whatever. Put your heads on it, update the cam, intake, carb, exhaust, and stick a GM HEI in there.

You'll have plenty of power and torque for the street on 87 octane. With a SBC you'd have to go more radical and risk reliability.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts