Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who are interested, I just got back from the annual Barret Jackson classic car auction. Get this: a 1957 fuel injected Bel Air convertable sold for a record $ 85,000! A 1967 L-88 vette went for $67,000. Tomorrow, two 70 SS Chevelle's LS6's go on the block. They expect one to go > $35,000. Chevy muscle cars are bringing higher $$ than any other make or model. If you have cable or dish, check it out live on speed vision at 5:00pm AZ time tomorrow. Incredible!

Brian

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Yep Brian I saw it on Speedvision. I was quite amazed when the 57 went for 85,000 too(though I liked the black one a couple cars before better), I like L89 did missed the LS-6's and I'm also curious to what they sold for. The chevelles weren't televised Saturday on Speedvision.
Steve

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just got back. The two 1970 SS cars went for 16,750 and 26,700. The first was probably not a real LS6 since it had some bogus stuff on it (like an A/C dash!). It was in good condition. The other probably was a real one with some documentation, but not a build sheet or POP. Numbers matched, auto on column, dark green w/black int.. Pretty nice car.

No other SS cars and really not many Chevy muscle there this year. No first generation Z28's either.

The good news about the auction was the percentage of sales. They had 90% sell on Friday and close to that on Saturday.

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Hi guys,
I went to a swap meet saturday which rather small, didn't see anything I needed, but I did see something I wanted. It was a '69 SS 396 convertible with A/T, A/C, P/B, P/S, P/TOP, console and buckets. Hugger orange with white stripes, white top with white interior and black carpet. The car was very nice with just over 80,000 miles on the odometer. The owner said he was the second owner with documentation and when he cranked it up, it purred like a kitten. He also said that it was a numbers matching car. Since the interior was white, it did look like it needed maybe some new covers. But the guy said he did a restoration on it. Makes me wonder. Anyway, he wanted $23,500 for it, but I thought that it was a bit much. What do you think? Is it worth it or not?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The auction sure was fun to watch. I thought that Nova with 29K on the odometer went for a bit much though. Too bad we didn't get to see the Chevelles on Speedvision...they mostly concentrated on the high buck stuff.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey Gator, how much did they get for that Nova? I had to leave the auction just before it went on the block. Interesting thing about the Nova was that the seller says that it was unrestored with 29,000 miles. The car was perfect. You know, every nut and bolt. In other words, way better than the factory ever did them. Another small tidbit from someone who looks for details, it had two Halogen headlights. How many 29,000 mile "unrestored" cars would have Halogen headlights?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Gregg, even the anouncers were surprised at the price. They kept commenting on the fact that it shouldn't bring that much, but someone must have been going nuts over the low mileage. Otherwise it was not that remarkable a vehicle. I forgot the actual price, but I'm going to guess and say somewhere between $28,000 and $32,000. Maybe someone else can remember better than I can. My wife has accused me of having a terminal case of "CRS" (can't remember %$#@*!). See that's what happens when you turn 50! You know, sometimes you wonder if the buyer of a car like that really knows exactly what he's buying. I know if I were buying a Chevelle for big $$, I'd be researching the daylights out of it before I handed over any money.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's over until next year. I admit that I did not get to see either Chevelle, but good things still happened. We (the gang out here) are in agreement that vintage 60's cars
took the show. Almost every vette sold, the Bel Air, and yes that super sweet Nova. The Nova went for $32,000 with actual documented milage (29,300). This car had not been restored, but I would say was in a solid #2 condition. It's hard to believe that a 57 rag top out sold a Testerosa. The gut who bought the Bel Air also bought Peter Fonda's replica Harleys.
I was disappointed in the "other tent" sales. Last year there was a alot of Chevey's, mostly Cameros. There was a documented Yenko Camero, but bids did not meet reserve. Its amazing to watch some of these guys drop 100k in a heart beat.
Well it's time for another piece of Nicorete gum (I quit to save the money, I need new gears!). I now know where I stand in the "serious world" of collector cars,
just a guy in the crowd, but happy with my project 70 Chevelle.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I was at Barrett-Jackson and agree that the prices for some of the stuff were impressive. This is my third year in a row to attend, and the sales percentage this year was incredible. Both buyers and sellers were in a "serious" mood this year!! By the way, the results of the auction are now posted at 'www.barrett-jackson.com'. The 67 Nova went for $34,500, not $32,000. The real LS6 Chevelle sold for $26,750, the other one for $16,250. Neither one was what you'd call really sharp, but the green (real) one allegedly did have a lot of documentation with it. It was originally from Alaska!! There was a gorgeous 58 Impala convertible which sold for $59,000 (bought by a woman sitting 2 rows behind me) and another one which I did not see that sold for $69,000. Or how about a 63 VW bus for $32,000!! Somehow I missed the Yenko Camaro, but I did see a 70 Yenko Nova which was only bid to $23,000 (the guy had a reserve around $30K), but I think he sold it after the show. He told my friend he had several offers near his reserve before it even hit the auction block. It's really interesting to keep abreast of what stuff is going for.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Geez, are we starting to see the market get into a feverish pitch like 10 years ago? Many speculators took a bath when the bottom fell out in '90. You'd think that only the very best 'blue chips' (sic) would get bid up like that. Let's hope that things stay sane so that we can find parts & drive our machines.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Over the past two years Chevelles have risen in value at a greater pace than the rise in value of GTO's. I think this is due primarily to interest being generated by the higher development of Chevelle information sources, primarily Team Chevelle.

------------------

·
Registered
258 Posts
You gotta figure our cars are just getting more and more rare. Every year a few more get crushed. The youngest of the 64-72 Chevelles are now 27 years old. When a nice desirable car gets to be 30 years old, parts start to get really hard to find. Prices go up. I don't know if the 30 year mark is a hard and fast rule, its just a theory of mine. My Chevelle will be 32 next month. Anyway, if you've already got a Chevelle, you're in good shape. Your car is appreciating. If you don't have one, the cost of getting one is only going to go up. Buy one now. Let's hope they continue to progress well.

Does anyone know if the $25,000 SS Chevelles in Hemmings actually sell for anything close to that? What's the most you've seen someone pay for a Chevelle (Outside the auctions).

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Everyone may be interested in knowing that the price "sold" is not the price "paid" for these auction cars. There is Az state sales tax, bidder fee (paid even if you don't buy anything!), Scottsdale city tax, buyers premium, show fees for the seller (even if the car doesn't sell) that inevitably get passed along to the buyer, etc, etc.

If a car "sells" for $20,000, then the buyer has about another $3500 in taxes and fees. Oh ya, you can't even drive what you are buying either. Everything is of course "as is". For all you know the car belches black smoke, makes no power, needs a complete rebuild and handles like a brick with worn bushings, bad springs, leaking gearbox, worn out posi, etc. etc.

Not worth it for me. I hope I never get desparate enough to buy a car for so much $$ (plus extra fees) wihtout even being able to drive the thing.

I have personally known a car to have sold before they even go across the stage and "plants" in the audience bidding them up. Pretty fishy stuff in my opinion.

Chris.

------------------

·
Premium Member
5,855 Posts
That 67 Vette w/L88 for $67K sounds bogus,too. A totally documented 67 L88 could fetch over $500K. One at Corvettes at Carlisle's auction went to $700K but didn't sell. The reserve was reportedly $1,000,000.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The 67 Vette was a clone and the seller was up-front about it. Wasn't a "matching numbers" car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.