Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my '70 Malibu for about 3 months now, and I love it to death. And I'm sure you guys have had all kinds of people asking you "You wanna sell your car?" Well, I usually just say, "it's not for sale, i love it too much." But a guy comes to my work today and offers me $6000 for it. It has an oil leak, and it needs a full interior restoration, and a few more little things, and I paid $3200 for it. Now I gotta tell ya that this is a very tempting offer, I really don't know what to do, and I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions on it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Like you said "We've all been there". I get offers from many people and have taken them up on a few. I sold my 68 Firebird to a guy who really wanted it. I also sold my 64 GTO to a guy who really wanted it. The guy turned the 68 Bird slowly into junk as I watched over a period of about 2 years. It made me sick to watch my 2 year resto and knuckle busting love end up totaly ruined. The guy I sold the 64 to pulled the engine out with only about 3000 miles on a fresh engine. I guess he had some ideas or what ever. The engine disappeared, and the car sat in his garage for 5 years. When his garage door was open, I could see that the car was being used as a shelf for garage junk
lawn chairs, boxes, etc. Both were show quailty autos, that were put together by me with perserverence, and love. A couple weeks ago I noticed the 64 was gone, to where I dont know,but it was equaly as sickening. Yea, I got good money for them, but if I had known the outcome neither would have been sold. Too bad you can't check "idiot references" on buyers of nice old cars. Maybe the guy who wants it has big honest plans, only he knows. Maybe he's just gonna beat it and trash it into a parts car over time. The decision is totaly up to you to sell something that you say you love. Just don't kick yourself in the rear if your "love" is turned into a piece of sh*t, it made my leg and butt awful sore.

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you can replace it for $3200 then sell it before you get attached to it! Buy yourself the ultimate sport-ute AN ELCAMINO!

------------------
68 El Camino...Slow, Much Work Required
98 Z28...Fast, No Work Required
Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX -- Where? That's what I said..

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
Spend a bit of time in our forsale area and get an idea of what a replacement like yours would cost. This will let you know if you happened to get an exceptional deal when YOU bought it. What would you replace it with?

If you can make a good buck and 'move up or on' then try and squeak a bit more out of your's - say, OK, 6500 bottom. if you grab a few extra bucks, great. (you can always say OK, 6000).
The call is your's of course. I've sold some for what I thought was a good dollar only to realize a year later that I couldn't replace it for anything close to what I sold it for.

I kinda look at this like fishing... if there is one that nibbles, there will always be others.
Doubling your money is pretty tough to pass up on though.

Hope you can sleep tonight!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Call his bluff, see if he is for real.Then take the money, and find you a nicer Chevelle.If he is just playing around, you'll find out.If you are emotionally attached to the car, don't sell.That's my opinion.Everything I have has a price, except for the wife, kids, and my first car.I've had it for 15+ years.Anyone need a nice, solid, old Chevy Truck?

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
If you are going to make 3K on the car and you can replace it, then sell it. You can always find a nicer piece for 4K, and have 2K in the bank making interest...I do this all the time, its the best way to finance your projects if your not a millionare.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know it's a tough decision, but I always tell people to treat their old cars like a business. You do have to know what your car is really worth. Like the others said, just because you can make money on it, doesn't mean you can replace the car for that price. Do yourself a favor, if you are going to be tempted by offers like this, you have to always watch the prices of cars like yours. It never hurts to go look at a few that are for sale to see what kind of condition they are in for a real good comparison. If you see nicer cars than yours for less than $6000, obviously go for it. The more the perspective buyer seems to know about cars, the more suspicious I would be that your car could be worth more than you thought. A couple years ago a guy offered me $8000 for my '72 at a show, actually I had my eye on a '69 I really hadn't thought about selling the '72, but my buddies that were at the show with me had basically sold my car on me without my knowledge! I told the guy I'd sleep on it and let him know the next day. He came back and when I said yes, he said he'd be back with the money. Never saw him again. Another guy that overheard us the day before offered me the same amount and said he could have cash the next day. I looked at the first go round as a sign that I shouldn't sell so hastily, and held on to the car. You just never know what you'll get into.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.