Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a big block for my Chevelle. A 496 stroker and a 502 are only 6 cubes apart but which one has the advantage? I'm sure the bore and stroke combination is what makes the difference...right? And which one has the best cost per HP ratio?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The 502 has more bore than stroke. You answered your own question. Always go for more bore to get the ci, unless you;re building a truck motor ( low rpm torque).

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hey Gene, you mentioned your buddy has a 509. The 509 has the same stroke as a 496, just a little bigger bore.

How does it move his car along. Does it seem to lack any top end due to the larger stroke.

Just curious of what to expect from my 496. BTW 70Chevy, If you have any specific questions regarding buildup, feel free to email me direct. I can't give you any real world performance numbers because my car is not driveable yet.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
496 EFI/Richmond 6-Speed
[email protected]
www.athenet.net/~chevelle

R

·
0 Posts
They are pretty similar, but you could build a 496 much cheaper! If you can afford to go 502, build a 540 or 572 instead. About the same money if you are starting from scratch, and the cost of a bow-tie or merlin block above the 496. (you could build a 496 with stock rods even cheaper, but I would recommend at least 6.385" and maybe 6.535".)

I'm making the decision between a 496 and a 540 right now. I have the 4.25" crank, and a std block, so I just need to get a bow-tie block for major $$$. I'm leaning towards debt and happiness.

Ryan

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Re the 509, he started with a marine block and crank. And I've said this here before, but this is like my dream motor so I'll repeat it

Dart Pro 1 heads ( don;t use them with Hookers or you'll never be able to change plugs - he preformed major surgery on them)

10.1:1 CR, Crane solid roller ( the smallest I believe 238/248 @0.050), and of course, a Chevy tripower induction system.

I notice no lack of top end and the pull startsd like right off idle. Monster rats are truly amazing in this regard. I mean my 427 starts really working at 4000, I can't tell when the 509 starts, it's always there.

You will be very pleased with the 496 I'm sure.

BTW the bore /stroke on the 509 is 4.5" X 4". So I believe his stroke is the same as a 454. Yes?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Yes Gene you're right. I was thinking of the 540 having the 4.25 stroke. The 509 is 4.50 bore x 4.00 stroke.

I had the same dilema as Ryan. Either build a 496 using a standard block, or spend the bucks on a new block. I decided to stay with 496 and spend the extra money on other goodies like Alum heads.

If I ever get this car on the road, I'll find out if I made wise decisions.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
496 EFI/Richmond 6-Speed
[email protected]
www.athenet.net/~chevelle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.