Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading a post here where a member mentions his 454 seems to like 6500 rpm,since im a old guyand havent raced any thing in twenty years I was wondering how high you guys bring your BIG BLOCKS??? I have a 468 in my nova and I may have brought it to 5000 once or twice what balls huh please tell me where your shifting at thanks in advance:confused:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
My 408 I shifted from 6,500-7,000. I think a lot depends on what type of cam, size of cam, and valvesprings you use. 5K might be right for your engine depending on your parts selection.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
We use a 6.700 rod in the 622 and shift it @ 7400-7450. Cross the line around 7160.
We used to spin the 468 71-7200.

My friend spins his Stage 3 Brad Anderson 526 Hemi 8200. But he uses Alum. rods where we use steel. A Stage 5 Hemi can go 10 grand.

At the track, it all depends where the engine makes the most power. I have seen the 622 loose .4 by shifting it at 6800 instead of 7400. And it won't go any quicker by shifting at 7800 than it does at 7400.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I turn my 496 6500-6800. Garret (40coupe) turns his 468 like 7300-7500

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you for the replies, I think this is somthing that schould be determined at the track. My concern I suppose is the amount of rpm s these big blocks regularly get before they come apart

·
Premium Member
9,533 Posts
Ability to rev is the carburetor, intake, heads, (with the right springs) and cam. The staying together part is good oil supply and quality components like rod bolts and bearings.:D

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
It will run 7k all day if the cam, and top end is designed to. Most 468 sg/sc motors ran 8400-8800 with 3/8 rods an lived 500 passes. I shift my 822 at 8200-8400 and have never had an issue.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well I guess I have to bring It up more to find out what she`s got theres alot to be said for that old saying '' DRIVE it like you stole it!''

·
Registered
412 Posts
I shift my 427 at 7200 at the track, and on the street i set the rev limiter to 7000. I could probably spin it to 7500 but its not making anymore power way up there

·
Premium Member
18,299 Posts
Jerry, what Sergio says. The cam's powerband, and the rest of system, will determine how high you need to spin it.

I run a 427 , so my opinon dont count. 7G is a walk in the park for a short stroke. 6500 for a 4". The longer stroke rats are truly big torque pumps, and can be built to get it all done by 6000.

Even a stock rat is safe at 6000.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
I used to shift my 468 at 6000, I have no idea where it's peak was, I just did it. My zz502 peaks around 5400, as I recall from seeing the graphs, so I shift it at 5500. Plus, I heard that it floats at 5800, so I don't push it.

BUT, here's a question. If your motor will rev higher than the peak, why not go past? Then, when you go into the next gear, you will be that much closer to the peak power. Does that make sense?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I
BUT, here's a question. If your motor will rev higher than the peak, why not go past? Then, when you go into the next gear, you will be that much closer to the peak power. Does that make sense?
Certainly. How far past peak hp is best depends on several factors, including how quickly power falls off. If the power drop is slow enough, accelleration might still be quicker than if shifted. Conversely, if the power drop is rapid shifting soon after peak might be best. Trial and error testing at the track is the best way to determine what shift points are optimum.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
My stock 396 325 h.p. is out of steam at about 4700. I've had it to 5000 before but it sounded like the valves were beginning to float so I backed off. Those stock wimpy valve springs won't handle it, but like Gene says the rest of the rotating assembly could take 6000 no problem.

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
My 427 is somewhat different. I wanted a street motor, so I put a hyd roller in it that makes power to about 6000. I had it to 6400 earlier today and it held together just fine. This is with good springs and a nice valve train setup, with the good morel hyd roller lifters.

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
Jerry, before you try the "dive it like you stole it" thing how much can you tell us about the motor. As Mike and a few others have mentioned there are many factors to how far it should rev and where it will make the best power. Mine is setup as a 6000 rpm motor so all my spec's are matched to that, you can make power at 7000, 6000, just as long as things are matched up.....Dave

·
Team Member , Vegas TC Ambassador
3,350 Posts
E.T. on this run wasn't exactly stellar, but the needle on the tach is plainly visible.
The 1-2 shift looks to be real close to the 7600 rev limiter. 2-3 appears to be more in the neighborhood of 7400.

Whether at the track or on the street, once the tires get to spinning, it's instantly bumping off the limiter. Common occurance enough to not be of concern. For the record, peak HP on the Dyno was 6700. There has been occasion that rpm has exceeded the tachs scale altogether. Those incidents I do try to avoid (or at least minimize).

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thanks to all for your replies,to dave I bought this 71 nova as described the engine is suposed to be a 468 bb It has a msd distributor msd box 236 PEANUT PORT HEADS chevy alum bowtie oval port dual plane manifold holley 750 seems to have mild sounding cam(hyd) and hooker pro comp headers behind this motor is a turbo 400 with a 3500 stall converter that goes into a chris alston rear clip with 4 link and a fab 9 rear with ford 411 center section .This car was shipped from california to new york it is as clean and nice as davies 67 It has everythig you can think of.The reason I put this rpm question out there is I traced the car back to some chick in california who used to race it,she said the car ran 11.60's all day I say a car that fast schould be impressing me more , thats why im thinking im not bringing up high enough to feel it WHO KNOWS ? Im getting ready to change her over to a 4 speed so its more fun to drive it around Where I live on long island im 3 hrs from the nearest track . sorry about this long winded rant BUT I have learned so much from all you guys its incredible the info here thanks for the help jerry:boring:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts