Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 70 Camaro (sorry not a Chevelle- yet) 454 has been givin me trouble- its a relatively new moter and I have not driven it in cold or much at all for that matter, till now. After some stop and start errands today the problems began- i hear BB's don't like start and stop- T or F?
The thing would not start. I pulled some plugs and they were fouled.
I only had a set of 4 NEW plugs, put them in and the car finally started, but back-fired big time, till it warmed up. After that it seemed fine.
I don't know much about the Big Block quirks as there are some, I'm told.
What are the best plugs for starting in extreme weather? I heard NGK Platinums.
Is the motor OK? How do i avoid this problem.
What are the quirks of the Big Block?
Thanx

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've never heard BB's had a problem with being stopped and started a lot. I could see a heat soak problem with the starter, as big blocks seem more prone, but I stop and start mine all day and have no problems.

How fouled were the plugs? A little black, or was the gap filled? You may be running rich. I would pull and clean the remaining plugs and see if your problem is still there, you may just be running (overly) rich. Also make sure everything else is in good order, your timing, ignition, fuel, etc before chasing a problem that might not be.

I use good old AC Delco R44T's in mine, no problems at all in any weather.

Cold weather may be causing your problem, but if the problem is too rich of an air/fuel mixture, than it will get worse with stop and start errands, as you'll be doing most of your driving in traffic, and generally stop and go traffic. Plugs tend to foul quicker when the motor idles.

Hope this helps somewhat.
Wes

·
Administrator
16,194 Posts
Check your choke for proper operation, could be it wasn't opening on the short trips.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Also check the vaccum pulloffs for the choke on the carb and for any binding carb rods. Also the choke may be not adjusted properly. All of these items will cause the problems you are experiencing. I's bet its 100% carb realted.

I had the exact same problems in the past after changing carbs. Eveything worked just fine untill it got cold.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been running BB for years and have not had nor seen quirks common only to BB.A BB is just like any other internal combustion,water cooled engine.The only quirk I've experienced is the love of gas.It sounds like you have carb. trouble ,running way to rich.Or maybe your timing is off.Check them and I believe you may find the problem.

------------------
There is no replacement for displacement.
72 SS W/ls6,4-SPD. 68 Malibu 396,4-spd.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Jarret, my 67 is in "semi-storage" at the paint shop. To get her ready for winter drives ( as few as possible) I replaced the plugs with some hotter ( AutoLite 3926 to be precise) and installed a 180 thermostat ( which may be permanent - year round ).

I also tightened my valve lash a freckle and vowed not to rev over 6500.

Ask for some AC FR5's. They're the 5/8 nut version of a BBC plug, hot, the FR3's are cold.

Cautious of my plug recommendations, they're for an L88 ( alum), so reach/seating may be slightly different.

Chaas
Gold #62
67 SS396/L88

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.