Team Chevelle banner

Go back stock or LS

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,342 Posts
I wish everyone would stop calling every GM small block made after 2000 an LS. They are not magic engines. Put a first gen small block together with comparable compression, heads, and roller cam and you will get the same results.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wish everyone would stop calling every GM small block made after 2000 an LS. They are not magic engines. Put a first gen small block together with comparable compression, heads, and roller cam and you will get the same results.
If it’s of the LS architecture, then isn’t it an LS?

What low buck small block heads flow as well as stock gm ls heads?

·
Premium Member
16,341 Posts
1969 Chevelle SS with a frame off about complete. Would you go Stock or LS? The car has lots of new metal. Almost everything replaced. I do not have the original block.

I have the original TH400
Unless you have a need to boost it, which a digital engine can do best, have a pro like Vortecpro build you a 600 ft lbs ground pounder. Also those digital controls may be economical if you dive it more than 5K a year, same with OD. ( although I just visited UT with its 75 and sometimes 80 mph posted speed limits and there an OD may be required just to not get run over! )

New LT(?) series can make 500+ ft lbs with its variable cam timing, but LS can't.

so for the easy 500 ft lbs, go rat and dont look back, imho. Cheaper as well, unless you were planning on throwing a non-rebuilt junkyard LS in such a beautiful car. To rebuild one fresh will exceed the cost of a 600 ft lbs old skool rat by Far!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you're dreaming about ground pounding big block power, then go that route! The sound and feel is very different from an LS.

I've been telling everyone the LS is lame. Trying to keep those used/junkyard prices low! :)

The 4.8 is my favorite. I'm just glad they're still cheap.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
One vote for a V6...
(Although if I did it again I’d go with a straight 6)

Reactions: 427L88

·
Registered
1969 El Camino SS396
804 Posts
It's crazy how many don't even consider the good old tried and true small block. It's small, light, can make a ton of power and aftermarket support is outstanding. I agree, if the car is an original BBC car I think it should have a big block. That's what I did with my SS396 El Camino. The original engine was gone so I put a 454 in it. This was 20 years ago before the 496 got real easy and popular to build. Now I'd do a 496. The LS is a great engine but so is the old small block. It comes down to budget and what parts you might already have.

·
Premium Member
7,259 Posts
BBC, More cubes the merrier, no replacement for displacement (y)

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
I'm partial to HP Big Blocks,so that what I voted for !!
Guy

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,651 Posts
Bob I'm guessing you decided to finish it (an original SS). It's a matter of what you intend to use the car for. If it's for show and short drives, a stock appearing big block is the way to go. Can be a stout performer as well but not great on fuel consumption. Also IMO that's the less expensive way (a mild big block) since LS swaps can get expensive with the conversion parts required, not to mention the engine itself. If you intend to drive it a lot and appearance under the hood doesn't have to be stock or near stock, then maybe an LS is what you need. If the rest of the car will be stock SS, I'd put a stock appearing big block in it. You pays your money and takes your choice.

·
Registered
13,873 Posts
If LS I'd go right to a 6.2/L92, mild cam and springs = 500+hp and close to 500ft lbs. Not bad!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I was half kidding but I’ve been reading about some pretty healthy (for what they are) 292 in-line 6’s Lately. Their torque comes in real low rpm unlike my V6. Adapt port fuel injection, a 6 speed trans.
I’m just weird I guess.

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's crazy how many don't even consider the good old tried and true small block. It's small, light, can make a ton of power and aftermarket support is outstanding. I agree, if the car is an original BBC car I think it should have a big block. That's what I did with my SS396 El Camino. The original engine was gone so I put a 454 in it. This was 20 years ago before the 496 got real easy and popular to build. Now I'd do a 496. The LS is a great engine but so is the old small block. It comes down to budget and what parts you might already have.
Honestly yes, I agree with this. In today's world with what I know now, I would likely go with a big inch small block versus a big block now. I love the 489 in my car but it is large and heavy!

The LS is a great platform, but overly romanticized.

·
Premium Member
Rochester, New York
1,387 Posts
Your ride was born a SS and you bought it probably because it was a BB SS. You even have the original engine.

What's your question again?

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
edelbrock proflo efi for the big block if you want port injection, or you have your various throttle body systems. As far as fuel mileage they all get about the same when you’re making good power, my car with the 454 and the sniper, for the short time it ran well, averaged 16mpg in my normal driving. The Z I use to have made 600whp with its head/cam LS7 and it wasn’t all that pleasant to drive on the street. Doable, yes, but didn’t have the manners of the big block that make about 50hp less in that configuration to the tire.
I chose to buy a Sniper throttle body for my 496 BB because it's less troublesome than having to change the intake manifold and possibly the air cleaner. What I liked about the Sniper throttle body is that it bolts right in place of the carburetor, all linkages are supposed to be a direct fit as well as my billet air cleaner. The biggest part will be to install a return line and put a pump inside the tank.
and
BBC, More cubes the merrier, no replacement for displacement (y)
I couldn't care less about how many cubes my engine has. What matters most to me is that just as long as it's ''user friendly'', it idles good and has plenty of power for my needs, I'm happy. (y)
and
Nothing sounds like a big block. IMO
:rolleyes:
Claude.;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I chose to buy a Sniper throttle body for my 496 BB because it's less troublesome than having to change the intake manifold and possibly the air cleaner. What I liked about the Sniper throttle body is that it bolts right in place of the carburetor, all linkages are supposed to be a direct fit as well as my billet air cleaner. The biggest part will be to install a return line and put a pump inside the tank.
and

I couldn't care less about how many cubes my engine has. What matters most to me is that just as long as it's ''user friendly'', it idles good and has plenty of power for my needs, I'm happy. (y)
and
:rolleyes:
Claude.;)
I hope it works out for you. I had a sniper on mine, it was a pile of garbage. ECU failures are common, injectors failing is common, injectors come unplugged because they’re pressure fit and not clipped in place. Holley knows about the ecu and injector failures and haven’t done anything about it since the sniper was released.

They’re also very susceptible to RFI noise, because of the ecu being built into it right by the distributor. Follow the instructions very closely and it’ll run ok for a while

21 - 40 of 82 Posts