Team Chevelle banner

Go back stock or LS

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1969 Chevelle SS with a frame off about complete. Would you go Stock or LS? The car has lots of new metal. Almost everything replaced. I do not have the original block.

I have the original TH400

·
Registered
37 Posts
I vote big block but I'm not talking low dollar motor home junk. To outperform the LS you need to build the engine right. Go big and get good parts. LS is fine too but you might as well just buy a new Camaro. zzzz
have Vortecpro or the like build one it’ll outperform an LS for not a crazy amount of money. I kind of wish I’d have read about him prior to buying my BPE 509. Would saved me some money and made similar power

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't get hyped into the LS romance. It is a good engine, don't get me wrong. It just does not make the power a big block does for the street. They are weak down low(when compared to a big block). Then people will yell and scream that you can add boost and match it... well you can add boost to a big block too.

The LS is a great small platform, but if you're staying N/A the big block is king. Boost? Big Block is still king.

I was on the verge of selling my big block and going to a N/A 6.0. I drove one and was surprised how lack luster it was down low.(2000-4500rpm)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ah...an LS. I remember my first beer.
Go big block...way too many LS swaps out there. They have their place but NOT in a muscle car IMO. Nothing worse that seeing a great Camaro, Chevelle ect only to walk up and see an LS under the hood. She's hot and look at those legs...wait....whats that lump in the front of her skirt.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well with the LS you will have a lot of connectability issues for a variety of things and for it to run really good it really likes fuel injection. The big block done right will do fine but the LS is light and it does not leak in general. A full LS is probably 200 pounds lighter than a iron BBC. If you are going with an LS you need a 7.0 liter or bigger to get that tq the BBC has (NA to NA). If you are going to switch you got to make it worthwhile so a 7.0 liter LS or bigger would help. I have a 454 LS in my Corvette and it has over 700 hp at the crank (at 6,300) and 630 tq. Now what BBC do you have is it a 454, 396, 502 etc. because that will also help in decision process because if a 396 I will have a different answer to you than if you had a 502 etc.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I don't agree that LS is a dog down low, it's no match for a big block but they are a lot of fun when built right. I have a LQ9 4l80e combo in my Cutlass. Cam Motion Titan 4 cam, TBSS intake, LS3 throttle body, etc. 4l80e has CK performance calibration kit and Circle D billet converter. Controlled by Terminator X max.
Car pulls hard from stop to 6800rpm, where it's set to shift. A lot of fun to drive and it's very fast. Turn the key and drive.

The problem with majority of LS engines is same as SBC/BBC, people just throw on bunch of parts that don't match up. Majority will throw on a cam with a choppy sound on a stock converter and wonder why car is dog down low.

That being said my Chevelle has a 468 with forged internals and Autogear Muncie 4 speed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I don't agree that LS is a dog down low, it's no match for a big block but they are a lot of fun when built right. I have a LQ9 4l80e combo in my Cutlass. Cam Motion Titan 4 cam, TBSS intake, LS3 throttle body, etc. 4l80e has CK performance calibration kit and Circle D billet converter. Controlled by Terminator X max.
Car pulls hard from stop to 6800rpm, where it's set to shift. A lot of fun to drive and it's very fast. Turn the key and drive.

The problem with majority of LS engines is same as SBC/BBC, people just throw on bunch of parts that don't match up. Majority will throw on a cam with a choppy sound on a stock converter and wonder why car is dog down low.

That being said my Chevelle has a 468 with forged internals and Autogear Muncie 4 speed.
they are great engines, if the op’s car isn’t a real SS then I’d say go LS. I’ve owned and driven several LS cars, I had a ‘08 Z06 with TFS heads and a BTR stage 3 cam. It made 600whp, that car would scare someone that’s never been in a fast car. But it’s also a pretty light car, it was a little weak in low end torque, peak torque was 520 at 5500 rpm.

·
Registered
25 Posts

When I say it's a dog, its compared to a big block specifically. They run okay down low, but coming from a big block to one, it just doesn't do it.

Also, put that same throttle body on a big block and it will be even more healthy down low(because you can change the perceived throttle input). I want that set up, I am jealous :p

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm in a similar boat with my 70 convertible. it's a born 396 car, missing original everything. I have access to a LS-3, but I also have a older 468 build. i was on the fence with the same question, but considering what my car was born as, i've chosen the big block, however i'm going to go with injection on it, with other upgrades.

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
Mark Jones 496. 496 CU IN, 650 HP, 660 TQ, 9.7 compression, 238 @ .050 hyd roller, excellent vacuum... . Done.

Mike

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
1,721 Posts
1969 Chevelle SS with a frame off about complete. Would you go Stock or LS? The car has lots of new metal. Almost everything replaced. I do not have the original block.

I have the original TH400
What do you plan to do with the car? That will better help to answer your question.

Right now it's like, I'm going to eat, do I use a fork, spoon, or fingers. Need info. ;)

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
LS definitely! (y) Although I have a big block in my car right now (It was in it when I bought the car) if something major ever happens to it, it'll be out with tht big block and in with the newer technology LS ! No more old school carburetors, it starts up at the turn of the key, it's very easy to mod them to have them to make as much ''hp'' than a big block and sometimes more hp. It's pleasant driving an LS powered car on the street as they idle smooth but watch out when you step on the gas! And one other thing to take in consideration is that an LS in not a gas hog like a big block!
My son is restoring my previous Super Stock class race car ('69 Malibu) to put back on the street (and strip) and he's already bought his twin turbo LS engine for it. It made 1,200hp on the dyno on pump gas!!! o_O ... all this with only 375 cu. in. ! 👹
Claude. :)

·
Registered
13,869 Posts
The biggest impact on the driveability of a car IMO is the transmission. That BBC will seem alot more tame if the rpms can come down. And MPG WILL go up. Even an LS wont seem all that great behind a TH400 - I know, I had one.

·
Registered
25 Posts
LS definitely! (y) Although I have a big block in my car right now (It was in it when I bought the car) if something major ever happens to it, it'll be out with tht big block and in with the newer technology LS ! No more old school carburetors, it starts up at the turn of the key, it's very easy to mod them to have them to make as much ''hp'' than a big block and sometimes more hp. It's pleasant driving an LS powered car on the street as they idle smooth but watch out when you step on the gas! And one other thing to take in consideration is that an LS in not a gas hog like a big block!
My son is restoring my previous Super Stock class race car ('69 Malibu) to put back on the street (and strip) and he's already bought his twin turbo LS engine for it. It made 1,200hp on the dyno on pump gas!!! o_O ... all this with only 375 cu. in. ! 👹
Adding turbos to anything can have the effect. When you "Make big block power" with an LS it is not tame what so ever in N/A form. They can make great power with a turbo, but so can anything else, it's not magic lol.

The biggest impact on the driveability of a car IMO is the transmission. That BBC will seem alot more tame if the rpms can come down. And MPG WILL go up. Even an LS wont seem all that great behind a TH400 - I know, I had one.
THIS. My big block is MUCH more fun having an overdrive.

·
Premium Member
Bill
1,337 Posts
My LQ9 4l80e truck got 11 mpg.

·
Registered
37 Posts
edelbrock proflo efi for the big block if you want port injection, or you have your various throttle body systems. As far as fuel mileage they all get about the same when you’re making good power, my car with the 454 and the sniper, for the short time it ran well, averaged 16mpg in my normal driving. The Z I use to have made 600whp with its head/cam LS7 and it wasn’t all that pleasant to drive on the street. Doable, yes, but didn’t have the manners of the big block that make about 50hp less in that configuration to the tire.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts