Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm restoring/modifying a 64 Convertible SS. I'm trying to select a crate motor and I've been thinking ZZ4 SB, but a lot of you tout Big Blocks. My question is can a convertible 64 body and chassis handle the torque of a BB or will it twist into a pretzel? And the second question is which BB crate motor? I'm not looking for an all out drag car, just enough power that I can terrorize the neighbors, and every car that pulls up next to me at an intersection. Other drivetrain components already purchased are: 12 bolt w/3.73 posi, and a 200R4 w/2500 stall.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I can't answer your question about the structural integrity of the convertible body/chassis, but a friend has a car with a 502/502 crate motor and it's real impressive. With it's alum. heads it's probably not a lot heavier than a small block would be, plus it hits a mean lick at idle and is REAL strong. That'd be my vote.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I suspect that it will take a lot of modifying to effectively transmit big block torque to the street. Why don't you just leave it stock? There are plenty of cars out there that have already been butchered into race car trim. Can't be too many first year of Chevelle SS convertibles left out there.

My $0.02

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
I don't know if 64 and 65 convertible frames are the same (boxed), but remember the Z16 Chevelles of 65 were built on convertible frames just for that reason.

With the 12-bolt and 200R4 you're not going the "restoration" route; adding a big block isn't going to butcher the car since it should fit between the fender wells with no problems. I would keep all the original stuff (if you can) just in case you find something else down the road and want to return the 64 to stock status.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.