Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
The tall valve covers hit my stock 11" booster on my '71. Bill informed me to get a booster from a '66, as they are 9". I stopped by the parts store on the way home yesterday to get one, and they got it ordered. It will be in today or tomorrow, I'll let you know how it goes. It was only 75 bucks.

·
Banned
1,435 Posts
Stock booster here.
I've found that there are a few different heights of "tall" valve covers. With my Summit polished aluminum tall valve covers, (that are great by the way), I have no clearance issue. But, I've tried the Edelbrock Elite covers and they hit. So some are definitely taller than others.
Mike

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see one person has had the same issue as I....

My car still has the stock booster with a big block and tall valve covers can't even be installed.

I was starting to wonder if a booster from a G body would work...but wanted to see what some of you guys were running.....

But if the valve cover height is the real issue how tall you think I can get away with?

·
Registered
376 Posts
If you use any valve cover in a standard height, of course it will clear a stock power booster. Now if you want to use a tall cast aluminum you have to modify the corner near the booster. The cover will all most line up with the bolt holes, get it close. Then with a Sharpie, mark the area that hits the booster. Its about 3/8's to 1/2 down from the radius, both sides of the radius. Its not a big area but enough to hit. Cut out the marked area, reuse the cut out. Flip it inside out creating a clearance pocket, have it tig'd welded, add a small filler piece to seal up the area. If needed grind the weld and polish. Once its back on the engine, you will never know its been cut/modified. I did two cars this way and people are amazed how easy this is to do.

Ron Miller 92Camaro:beers:

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
If you use any valve cover in a standard height, of course it will clear a stock power booster. Now if you want to use a tall cast aluminum you have to modify the corner near the booster. The cover will all most line up with the bolt holes, get it close. Then with a Sharpie, mark the area that hits the booster. Its about 3/8's to 1/2 down from the radius, both sides of the radius. Its not a big area but enough to hit. Cut out the marked area, reuse the cut out. Flip it inside out creating a clearance pocket, have it tig'd welded, add a small filler piece to seal up the area. If needed grind the weld and polish. Once its back on the engine, you will never know its been cut/modified. I did two cars this way and people are amazed how easy this is to do.

Ron Miller 92Camaro:beers:
That is exactly what I did on mine. Worked great.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Junkyard, is there any chance that youy motor mounts may be the small block version? I think the big block mounts are a little more low profile to allow for more clearance up top. My 72 has the stock booster and the tall cover clears. Removal, even over the stud girdle is no problem. Don't really understand unless it's the mounts.

Danny

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Stock booster on my '70.My solid engine mounts did help though,on valve cover and especially header clearance.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
8" from MP power brakes. I have 5" of vacume also using thier vac. pump.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the Cast Chevrolet tall valve covers and the standard brake booster. I barely missed the brake booster. the only reason I am OK is because the valve covers are schanfered slighty.

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Junkyard, is there any chance that youy motor mounts may be the small block version?
Does it matter which ones?

My car was an original 350 car. I reused the bottom mounts, then the top mounts I bought at Autozone p/n 2283.

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I've got a set of cast aluminum valve covers on mine now and I've used Moroso stamped,tall,thin,leaky tall valve covers and I've used the Comp composite (quietest) valve covers all cleared the stock power booster but now its gone, manual brakes stop it fine.

·
Registered
368 Posts
i have this same problem on my 69 camaro and i am running a 7 inch duel diaphram unit now and even with the 7 inch unit i had to remove the booster to get the valve cover off to set valve lash. i went to a set of fabricated covers and they are almost 1.75 inches shorter in height than my billet tall covers . the engine isnt back in the car yet but im pretty sure the hand fabbed covers will eleviate the problem i was having.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I see one person has had the same issue as I....

My car still has the stock booster with a big block and tall valve covers can't even be installed.

I was starting to wonder if a booster from a G body would work...but wanted to see what some of you guys were running.....

But if the valve cover height is the real issue how tall you think I can get away with?
Dawg, if you want I'll send you a good working 78 Malibu vacuum booster and alum brake reservoir. I pulled them off my car when I went to a manual setup. All works well. They're free, just pay shipping. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Mine used to hit. Then I picked up a dual diaphragm booster from a '79 El Camino for my '68. Now I have all the clearance I need for BB and tall covers :thumbsup:

I swapped the mounting brackets over and modified the pushrod as per a web site I found out there.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts