Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. Talked with Mark Jones this afternoon and he said based on my picture of my Block, casting number 289, I need to drill two holes per side on my decks. See attached picture and if you’ve done this before can you give me some pointers? He said use the 1037 gasket. I’m assuming that the one hole is there and the other 2 that are circled in red are the ones that need to be drilled out. Auto part Automotive engine part Automotive engine gasket Thanks. Auto part Automotive engine part Engine Tool accessory Vehicle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Yes, I drilled same holes in my 74 “289” block. I’m also running iron heads which I believe benefit more from having those holes drilled. Pic shows Red circles around the holes I drilled on both sides. 4 total. Used a 1/2” drill bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are the holes on that gasket supposed to stay that small or do you cut them out to match the holes on the block?

·
Premium Member
7,104 Posts
Daron, with a good drill and good drill bits it should be no problem. Put the gasket on the head and use an awl to scratch the circle. I’d use a protractor to make sure that you mark the center of the hole and punch it. You’re going to want at least 3 different size bits and drill each hole 3 times. Start with an 1/8” bit for your pilot hole. Your next hole can be half the size of the hole and the final hole can be full size. It’s not critical that the hole be perfectly perpendicular to the deck. Use plenty of lubricant and allow the bit to do the work. After it’s drilled make sure to debur the hole.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about the gasket? Those holes are smaller. Supposed to be?

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
both of the blocks pictured have the large coolant transfer holes at the rear of the deck. Do these blocks need converted to parallel flow?

Do the heads have matching large coolant holes?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Amazing that it needs 1/2" holes (as others come from the factory with) when the gasket restricts it to a hole about the diameter of a toothpick.
Never really understood that unless it's to keep them from corroding or otherwise clogging shut.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mark jones told me if I went with his heads he suggests it. He knows a lot more about these motors than me.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Ok guys. Talked with Mark Jones this afternoon and he said based on my picture of my Block, casting number 289, I need to drill two holes per side on my decks. See attached picture and if you’ve done this before can you give me some pointers? He said use the 1037 gasket. I’m assuming that the one hole is there and the other 2 that are circled in red are the ones that need to be drilled out. View attachment 569914 Thanks. View attachment 569912

The '69 512 4BM block in the link does not have those holes. CL ad -'69 512 4BM block

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No it doesn’t but I do see where those holes would be there is an outline where it looks like they should be. Maybe from the heads?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
No it doesn’t but I do see where those holes would be there is an outline where it looks like they should be. Maybe from the heads?

From the heads or gaskets, the block has been bored a few times. Point is there are not holes present in the block. It may be possible it was for a 427 application. Who knows. But it does not seem to be a manifestation of the '72 and up 289 blocks.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
Are the holes on that gasket supposed to stay that small or do you cut them out to match the holes on the block?
What about the gasket? Those holes are smaller. Supposed to be?
Amazing that it needs 1/2" holes (as others come from the factory with) when the gasket restricts it to a hole about the diameter of a toothpick.
Never really understood that unless it's to keep them from corroding or otherwise clogging shut.
WHAT HOLES are you guys looking at?

The "parallel cooling" holes in the gasket are about 1/2" diameter. Drill the block to match. Two holes drilled "fresh", and one hole probably exists but is in the wrong position so needs to be oblonged to match the gasket.

"I" do not drill holes in steps. Pop a pilot hole in the deck surface (1/8" should be fine) and then shove a 1/2 drill bit through the pilot hole. The pilot hole should be as big as the web of the main drill bit. Some bits have thicker webs than others.

You're drilling cast iron. It's easy cutting.

·
In Memoriam
29,419 Posts

·
In Memoriam
29,419 Posts
Schurkey, is it still out there?I'm getting an error at the URL I have for it.

Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at reviews.ebay.com.

it's the reviews server it can't find.

ebay DNS is changing the URL to $ ping reviews.g.ebay.com, adding the g

PING reviews.g.ebay.com (66.135.212.236) 56(84) bytes of data.

Working for you?

Is that article posted here anywhere? still have it on your machine?

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
eBay discontinued their Guides last May.

I still have a copy of the text for my Guides, but I'd have to re-insert all the photos before I re-host them on my web page; and that's not going to happen soon.

I'll revise them, update a few, and maybe re-pose some of the pictures, and insert them in a larger, more-legible size...but not yet.

·
In Memoriam
29,419 Posts
I didn't know you had a web site.

Would you be willing to post it up here?

·
Gold Founding Member
10,967 Posts
I didn't know you had a web site.

Would you be willing to post it up here?
I've got a few articles hosted here in the Tech Reference section. Not real keen on adding more, because I have no access to edit and improve.

I'll host 'em on my site, and post links (eventually).

·
In Memoriam
29,419 Posts
is your site up and running now?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts