Team Chevelle banner
161 - 180 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
You mean like these ?

No, I run Quick Time Pro's. Here's the exact tire I run.

·
Premium Member
1,154 Posts
See what Steve is running ^^^^^^^

You want to pick the tallest and widest bias ply slick you can fit in those wheel wells - to have any kind of chance to hook a 650 hp BBC engine on the street. Even then you’ll might have to peddle it. Your convertor choice will have influence.

UNLESS - you have a ignition box that allows you to program you timing curve. This will help.

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
THNX Steve. My 15 yr old BFG drag radials need replaced, I'll use the shorter 26" version. ( only a 3.31 gear) of those quick Times.

PS I don't want to hook too hard on that oem 12 bolt Bradley ! ;)

·
Premium Member
14,093 Posts

You want to pick the tallest and widest bias ply slick you can fit in those wheel wells - to have any kind of chance to hook a 650 hp BBC engine on the street. Even then you’ll might have to peddle it. Your convertor choice will have influence.

UNLESS - you have a ignition box that allows you to program you timing curve. This will help.
Just to be clear, (at least for Al's sake/benefit) those tires that Steve uses are NOT bias ply slicks. They're bias ply "DOT" tires with very little tread. Slicks have thinner sidewalls that tend to give more during hard launches, and have no tread at all, and obviously are not "DOT" rated at all. The Quck Time "DOT" tires are like the bias-ply versions of "DOT" drag radial tires. They obviously provide better traction than standard tires do, but not as much as legit slicks do.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·

·
Premium Member
14,093 Posts
A 454 or 496 would easily meet your goal. Even a smallblock 400 would do it but the additional displacement of the BBC would make it even easier. The street tires that I like are the Hoosier QTP's. Here is my car trying to get traction on the street in 2nd gear with QTP's.

That's an interesting vid there Steve. Thanks. Your car is squatting during acceleration. That isn't helping if the goal is to put as much power to the pavement as possible. However, I'm not sure how that can be corrected on a leaf spring car. If it were a 4 link suspension like on our Chevelles, that's easy to fix with relocation of the rear control arm mounting locations to shorten the instant center. But since leaf sprung cars have a set or fixed instant center location which happens to be where the front mounting point of where the leaf springs are, (at least that's how it is with Ladder bars anyway) I for one cannot say how you can stop the rear from squatting with leaf springs like on Camaros. Perhaps with the use of Cal Tracs it's possible, but that's just a guess on my part.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·

I've heard that before and havnt forgotten it .
Not only widest but tallest.. be better to run 30's .
Yep ill tell whoever I'm workin with on the converter what the goal is . Hopefully I'll get a good guy.
Sounds good on the ignition box . Anything I can do to help it grip

·
Premium Member
14,093 Posts
Them are street legal right ?
That depends: They say "DOT" (Department Of Transportation) on them, but so do the Hoosier "DOT" drag radials too. But their DOT drag radials also say on the sidewall right after the "DOT" letters: "Not for highway use" so if you got pulled over, you can say to the cop: "hey look at my tire sidewalls, and you'll see the "DOT" stamp"...but if he calls your bluff and really does take a close look, he might then bring up the "Not for highway use" that Hoosier puts on those tires too.

IDK if the Quick Time Pros also have those words after the "DOT" letters like their DOT drag radials do, but either way they won't hook like slicks do at the track. Their main intended purpose is for drag race classes that have rules which prohibit slicks and are termed "street car" race classes. Kind of the same way that some race classes have vehicle weight rule restrictions and even engine displacement restrictions.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
Just to be clear, (at least for Al's sake/benefit) those tires that Steve uses are NOT bias ply slicks. They're bias ply "DOT" tires with very little tread. Slicks have thinner sidewalls that tend to give more during hard launches, and have no tread at all, and obviously are not "DOT" rated at all. The Quck Time "DOT" tires are like the bias-ply versions of "DOT" drag radial tires. They obviously provide better traction than standard tires do, but not as much as legit slicks do.
Maybe I'd get the DOT ones first for the street and see how they work on a track too. Then maybe get real slicks if they don't work well enough

·
Premium Member
14,093 Posts
Maybe I'd get the DOT ones first for the street and see how they work on a track too. Then maybe get real slicks if they don't work well enough
Again to be clear, I am not telling you, nor anyone else to use slicks on the street, and I'm not telling you not to either. I was merely pointing out that the quick time hoosiers are NOT slicks and will not have as much potential to hook like slicks either.

·
Premium Member
14,093 Posts
...any BTW, a guy I work with runs slicks on a street car on the street as well as a spool. He claims that cops have never pulled him over for that, and I was kinda surprised to hear him say that. Does anyone here drive on public streets and in traffic with legit slicks? If so, please share the good and bad if you will.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Check out the 70 Monte Carlo on youtube. 496, carb, stock heads, Cooper stock size tires on stock wheels and full size original hubcaps, automatic, 2:56 gears does the 1/4 mile in mid 11's at 111 MPH. His daily driver!!! I am not a mechanic, but hired one to help me, teach me, how to build it. I have done 4 in 25 years, last a 468 in aug. for $1700 Plenty enough HP and all are running fine. Not real difficult
Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Premium Member
1971 Chevelle. Carb’d 6.0 LS Th350 3.90 12 Bolt. 1972 Greenbrier Wagon 489, 700r4 3,73 12 bolt
3,603 Posts
...any BTW, a guy I work with runs slicks on a street car on the street as well as a spool. He claims that cops have never pulled him over for that, and I was kinda surprised to hear him say that. Does anyone here drive on public streets and in traffic with legit slicks? If so, please share the good and bad if you will.
I run the MT PBR and a spool on the street. Not alot but some, cops haven’t said anything so far. Wet roads are definately out.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That's an interesting vid there Steve. Thanks. Your car is squatting during acceleration. That isn't helping if the goal is to put as much power to the pavement as possible. However, I'm not sure how that can be corrected on a leaf spring car. If it were a 4 link suspension like on our Chevelles, that's easy to fix with relocation of the rear control arm mounting locations to shorten the instant center. But since leaf sprung cars have a set or fixed instant center location which happens to be where the front mounting point of where the leaf springs are, (at least that's how it is with Ladder bars anyway) I for one cannot say how you can stop the rear from squatting with leaf springs like on Camaros. Perhaps with the use of Cal Tracs it's possible, but that's just a guess on my part.
Actually, pause the video at 1:45 and 1:55. You will see the shocks get longer at 1:55 as the Caltracs lift the rear of the car on acceleration. That section of road is smoother than the others so it is easier to see the separation. Thanks

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Check out the 70 Monte Carlo on youtube. 496, carb, stock heads, Cooper stock size tires on stock wheels and full size original hubcaps, automatic, 2:56 gears does the 1/4 mile in mid 11's at 111 MPH. His daily driver!!! I am not a mechanic, but hired one to help me, teach me, how to build it. I have done 4 in 25 years, last a 468 in aug. for $1700 Plenty enough HP and all are running fine. Not real difficult View attachment 732600
And that's with stock suspension. Right ?

·
Premium Member
14,093 Posts
Actually, pause the video at 1:45 and 1:55. You will see the shocks get longer at 1:55 as the Caltracs lift the rear of the car on acceleration. That section of road is smoother than the others so it is easier to see the separation. Thanks
Holy Cow Steve, that is correct. That is very strange because other times in the vid, (such as at the 1:18 minute mark) the car definitely does squat when you hit the throttle. I've never seen such a varied reaction to power input on any one car on any given day without there being some type of suspension adjustment in between each incident. The Cal Tracs must be a whole different animal.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Dragon wagon runnin 11.80's in a 37 or 3800 lb Monte with hm in it with stock converter stock suspension and stock tires and 2.65 gears .630 hp BB and I think he's over 600 torque I want to say . Nice torque curve well built engine .
Not to suggest he should do anything different to his car here at all but im asking what others think that same car with same engine would do for ET with a 3.55 gear and the biggest street hooks he could get on the car and a custom converter set up for a quarter? Same stock suspension.
I asking what others and the man who owns the car think

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Holy Cow Steve, that is correct. That is very strange because other times in the vid, (such as at the 1:18 minute mark) the car definitely does squat when you hit the throttle. I've never seen such a varied reaction to power input on any one car on any given day without there being some type of suspension adjustment in between each incident. The Cal Tracs must be a whole different animal.
The other roads are bumpy. You can even see big cracks in them in the video. The last road was repaved maybe a year before the video and its real flat and smooth. That's why I stayed on the throttle through 2nd and well into 3rd on that one. The others were just a quick stab in 2nd.

·
Registered
12,938 Posts
Dragon wagon runnin 11.80's in a 37 or 3800 lb Monte with hm in it with stock converter stock suspension and stock tires and 2.65 gears .630 hp BB and I think he's over 600 torque I want to say . Nice torque curve well built engine .
Not to suggest he should do anything different to his car here at all but im asking what others think that same car with same engine would do for ET with a 3.55 gear and the biggest street hooks he could get on the car and a custom converter set up for a quarter? Same stock suspension.
I asking what others and the man who owns the car think
Mark Jones had told me to pull gear out of the car. I went from 3.73's to 3.42 when it had the 469" motor and lost nothing. The 540 got ran with the 3.42's, Mark had suggested to swap in a 3.08 gear set with the 540 motor, which would've been the equivalent of running a 4.33 with a Glide. Doing so would've put it through the traps at about 5000-5100 at 125mph, well below peak HP, but still putting down about 600 HP through the traps. Had a set of gears on the bench, just never got to it. Have to rethink things with the bigger engines.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
Mark Jones had told me to pull gear out of the car. I went from 3.73's to 3.42 when it had the 469" motor and lost nothing. The 540 got ran with the 3.42's, Mark had suggested to swap in a 3.08 gear set with the 540 motor, which would've been the equivalent of running a 4.33 with a Glide. Doing so would've put it through the traps at about 5000-5100 at 125mph, well below peak HP, but still putting down about 600 HP through the traps. Had a set of gears on the bench, just never got to it. Have to rethink things with the bigger engines.
You went from 373 to 342 and lost nothing with the 468 .
What would have happened if the car was dead hooking with the 373 ?

161 - 180 of 210 Posts