Team Chevelle banner
181 - 200 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
12,938 Posts
Going from 3.73 to 3.42 isn't much of a gear change anyway. So that wouldn't change anything in a lot of cars. That isn't even worth me removing the rear end cover, let alone doing a R&R of the ring & pinion gears
I had to pull the posi anyway, Eaton clutch pack was shot and upon inspection the yoke bearing was sloppy so went with 3.42 gears, rebuilt the posi with GM Service pack (18 Plate Solid Clutch Pack) and reassembled with a solid pinion spacer. Shortly after Tom's started carrying reproduction 3.31's or I would've ran that. Moot point anyway.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sir 68 why would you say such a hateful thing. I have have various high horsepower engine in my 60 plus years on this planet. Mind you never had a 632. My engine guy was involved with his friends billet block 632 that is a street car. It is a nitrrous car that in street trim on hoosier quick time pro have tan the best 7.40 on motor. That car run mechanical stacked injection and had 3 big speed tech fogger. That guy drives 45 minutes to Toronto with his young son and been stuck numerous times in traffic for over an hour. It was a very expensive build but you don't need a billet block or maxed out heads. A nice 1000 horsepower 632 would be a respectable street car that would run like most people 650 or 700 horsepower 496.

RH

·
Premium Member
14,092 Posts
I want to see the OP buy that 632 so I can go to the track with my popcorn and watch the part breakage when he launches that monster.
Uhmm...yeah a very intellectual post. You might as well say something about his mother while you're at it. :rolleyes:
Sir 68 why would you say such a hateful thing. I have have various high horsepower engine in my 60 plus years on this planet. Mind you never had a 632. My engine guy was involved with his friends billet block 632 that is a street car. It is a nitrrous car that in street trim on hoosier quick time pro have tan the best 7.40 on motor. That car run mechanical stacked injection and had 3 big speed tech fogger. That guy drives 45 minutes to Toronto with his young son and been stuck numerous times in traffic for over an hour. It was a very expensive build but you don't need a billet block or maxed out heads. A nice 1000 horsepower 632 would be a respectable street car that would run like most people 650 or 700 horsepower 496.

RH
X2. Yep or even a lower reving 632 that peaks at 5,900 RPM with two hundred HP less. There would be trade-offs, sure. On one hand, there's the challenge of oil pan fitment in some Chevelles, and having to spend some extra cash for a well made drop base air cleaner with a 16" diameter for a Dominator carb, (or an aftermarket 4" cowl hood like some other Chevelles have that aren't even running tall deck block engines) and then there's also the extra expense of needing custom headers due to the tall deck block, (although some guys with standard deck height blocks choose custom headers anyway for 800+ HP builds since they still need 2 1/8" primary tubes). The poor rod ratio of 1.4 doesn't exactly spell longevity either, but it would be a very low reving engine making serious power on 91 octane pump gas without needing to retard the usual ignition timing settings either.

But there wouldn't necessarily need to be "part breakage" if the build of the drivetrain and suspension involves a wise plan. It's merely a matter of the budget in question. 35 spline axles, a well built TH400, PG, or even an aftermarket 4L80e, and a 3.5" diameter chromoly driveshaft with 1350 series yokes and U-joints, and some 5/8" diameter rear wheel studs. It's all a matter of picking your poison.

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Uhmm...yeah a very intellectual post. :rolleyes:

X2. Yep or even a lower reving 632 that peaks at 5,900 RPM with two hundred HP less. There would be trade-offs, sure. On one hand, there's the challenge of oil pan fitment in some Chevelles, and having to spend some extra cash for a well made drop base air cleaner with a 16" diameter for a Dominator carb, (or an aftermarket 4" cowl hood like some other Chevelles have that aren't even running tall deck block engines) and then there's also the extra expense of needing custom headers due to the tall deck block, (although some guys with standard deck height blocks choose custom headers anyway for 800+ HP builds since they still need 2 1/8" primary tubes). The poor rod ratio of 1.4 doesn't exactly spell longevity either, but it would be a very low reving engine making serious power on 91 octane pump gas without needing to retard the usual ignition timing settings either.

But there wouldn't necessarily need to be "part breakage" if the build of the drivetrain and suspension involves a wise plan. It's merely a matter of the budget in question. 35 spline axles, a well built TH400, PG, or even an aftermarket 4L80e, and a 3.5" diameter chromoly driveshaft with 1350 series yokes and U-joints, and some 5/8" diameter rear wheel studs. It's all a matter of picking your poison.
Say what you want, but the fact remains that "BIG" torque engines break driveline parts, that was my point. 800hp does break anything but 800 and up of torque will.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Here's a 66 impala. Very close to Identical to a 66 caprice.
They're claiming it's stock suspension??

Watch "AMAZING GRACE! '66 IMPALA! STOCK SUSPENSION! STREET LEGAL! 8 SEC! ALL MOTOR! BYRON DRAGWAY!" on YouTube

·
Registered
4,065 Posts

RH
Hateful??? LMAO, is the rest of your car a stock driveline with that 632,? bet not. seems some of you guys think that an 800hp, 800lb. ft, of torque is going to live a long time with stockish driveline components. I found out this year what having a 600hp 406 did to my rear axle that was beefed up and broke. See ya all later.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
Hateful??? LMAO, is the rest of your car a stock driveline with that 632,? bet not. seems some of you guys think that an 800hp, 800lb. ft, of torque is going to live a long time with stockish driveline components. I found out this year what having a 600hp 406 did to my rear axle that was beefed up and broke. See ya all later.
Yeah but when I started the thread I was just asking what anyone thought about the BP motor and what anyone thought about it as far as the deal . I didn't say anything about trying to run a motor like that with stock suspension. I was just lookin to hear about what anyone thought about the engine itself and if it was a good value for what BP was selling it for.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Reactions: Rattin

·
Registered
12,938 Posts

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Yeah but when I started the thread I was just asking what anyone thought about the BP motor and what anyone thought about it as far as the deal . I didn't say anything about trying to run a motor like that with stock suspension. I was just lookin to hear about what anyone thought about the engine itself and if it was a good value for what BP was selling it for.
Yes, this thread went sideways from your original question.

So, back to your original question - did you get it answered yet? Do you have enough information to determine whether or not that BP 632 is a good deal for the money?

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
Yes, this thread went sideways from your original question.

So, back to your original question - did you get it answered yet? Do you have enough information to determine whether or not that BP 632 is a good deal for the money?
Yep . From what I've gathered here I don't think I'd want a 632 in anything no less my 66 caprice.
Its very expensive for the motor then a major pain gettin it in . Combine that with the cost it would take to that kind of power to hook = way not worth it to me .
Id like to just get the car to run mid 11 or under .
Some have suggested ill never get the car in the 11's without putting major money into the car . In.the car other than a bigger hp motor that is

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Yep . From what I've gathered here I don't think I'd want a 632 in anything no less my 66 caprice.
Its very expensive for the motor then a major pain gettin it in . Combine that with the cost it would take to that kind of power to hook = way not worth it to me .
Id like to just get the car to run mid 11 or under .
Some have suggested ill never get the car in the 11's without putting major money into the car . In.the car other than a bigger hp motor that is
Nice. That's what I like about this site, even though people have many differing thought processes and opinions (and aren't afraid to share them) and come at things from all different angles, we had a (mostly) constructive dialogue in this thread and you eventually got what you were looking for out of it.

·
Registered
11,815 Posts
For what it’s worth my car on 10” slicks went 11.20’s at 118 with boxed factory rear control arms parts store shocks and springs, weighing 3675 with me in it and the engine dynoed at 540 hp. It doesn’t take 7 or 800 hp to get there.

·
Banned
4,575 Posts
Dragon wagon runnin 11.80's in a 37 or 3800 lb Monte with hm in it with stock converter stock suspension and stock tires and 2.65 gears .630 hp BB and I think he's over 600 torque I want to say . Nice torque curve well built engine .
Not to suggest he should do anything different to his car here at all but im asking what others think that same car with same engine would do for ET with a 3.55 gear and the biggest street hooks he could get on the car and a custom converter set up for a quarter? Same stock suspension.
I asking what others and the man who owns the car think
I've run number of calculators on my car and between a 3.70, 3.89 and 4.11 they all give the exact same et and speed between the three. No change other than trap rpm. My car is 3500#, 530hp and right now a 3.70 gear with 10" converter and 275/60-15 MT ET streets. Haven't had a chance to make a good pass on the track but all the calculators say it should run high 6's and high 10's.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
For what it’s worth my car on 10” slicks went 11.20’s at 118 with boxed factory rear control arms parts store shocks and springs, weighing 3675 with me in it and the engine dynoed at 540 hp. It doesn’t take 7 or 800 hp to get there.
Thats what I'm talkin about .
This 66 caprice will be 175 heavier than you who ran 11.20's with 540 hp and 250 lighter than dragginwagon406 71 Monte thats runnin 11.80's no converter no tires no suspension whatsoever and 2.56 gear but he's well over 600 hp and torque.
Not sure on what planet I wouldn't be able to
come up low mid 11's without breaking the bank with tons of suspension work etc .
Doesn't sound like a stretch .
One thing for sure for a fact about this caprice right now is that it hooks REAL GOOD with 450 hp stock suspension 410 gear and 275 60 15 Goodrich . That i do know

·
Banned
4,575 Posts
Here's a 66 impala. Very close to Identical to a 66 caprice.
They're claiming it's stock suspension??

Watch "AMAZING GRACE! '66 IMPALA! STOCK SUSPENSION! STREET LEGAL! 8 SEC! ALL MOTOR! BYRON DRAGWAY!" on YouTube
"Stock suspension" can be taken a LONG way with aftermarket parts. ;)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Dragon wagon runnin 11.80's in a 37 or 3800 lb Monte with hm in it with stock converter stock suspension and stock tires and 2.65 gears .630 hp BB and I think he's over 600 torque I want to say . Nice torque curve well built engine .
Not to suggest he should do anything different to his car here at all but im asking what others think that same car with same engine would do for ET with a 3.55 gear and the biggest street hooks he could get on the car and a custom converter set up for a quarter? Same stock suspension.
I asking what others and the man who owns the car think
With 3.55 gears and a higher stall converter I think it would be real close to 11.00. They will both improve the 60 foot and acceleration the entire run.

181 - 200 of 210 Posts