Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lookin to buy a big bbc engine to put in a 66 caprice . I'm not stuck on crate motor or custom build but
Whats anybody think about the quality of this motor period?
Then Whats anybody think about bang for the buck with this crate motor ?
Or would it be "better " to have one built?

Ill street strip the Car so my thought was maybe to run a relatively taller gear in it and let it torque/muscle its way to 2.5 and be able to maraud around on the street with it maybe wake up a few of these guys with thier newer stuff

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
All the typical tall deck and big stroker oil pan fun.
There are plenty building 565-598 inch engines in short deck form that'll drop in a lot easier.
Bragging rights are awfully expensive, especially considering that after traction is figured in, a smaller engine might still be more than you need.
Some well sorted out turbo'd LS cruisers will still hand you your ass, then you're back at square one.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Somebodys allways gonna be faster no matter what. Also a turbo is a turbo .
I wouldn't buy an engine like this To brag or to figure on beatin everything. Not in a 66 caprice anyway lol. It would be for me . I've got nothin to prove man lol itd be a monster rush over and over . Plus I probably get it to hook goodnuf. Tall gear and the biggest street tire I can get on it . Shitux i get it to hook as good or better than these 6 700 hp stangs or 800 hp hell cat. I've seen em.
That old B body chevy transfer the weight nice.
Aside from all that I was just lookin for opinions on the deal.
And yes I understand tall block = arse ache but nothin any goods easy or not for this kid lol

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
well, the 12K get you 700+HP , the 15K 540 gets you 800+. HP , so they are comparable. I like 700+ in a std deck height. I;d think Mark's engines are generally less radically cammed. so may play "sleeper" better for the Caprice.

Yet, being a poo' boy, I can only play with little rats, so I have no experience AL.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Whats the guy puttin it in ?
Square body chevy. We’ve done several motors from Blueprint and never had any issues. Great quality. They break them in and dyno them which is nice. By the time it gets to you, you know there isnt going to be any leaks, problems with the bottom end, or issues with the valve train. The biggest issue we have with the local machine shops in Central Florida is their turn around time. As a hotrod/restomod performance shop we cant sit on someones car for 6 months waiting on a machine shop to finish the motor. The last one we did was a 461ci pontiac stroker motor and just the bottom end short block ended up taking 7 months. By contrast the last motor we got from BluePrint i ordered on a Monday, arrived that same week on Firday. Painted the block, installed the intake and by Monday it was in the vehicle running. Plus if you sell the car its a nice selling point to have a folder of all the technical data, proceedures, approved sprak plugs, oil, maintenance info, warranty instructions and dyno sheet. Most machine shops around us dont dyno the engines prior to pick up.

Now i’m sure there are very qualified companies out there that dont have the big name brand as blueprint that could offer you a similar package with similar services. We just had a 427windsor stroker motor built by a company called Proformance Unlimited in Melbourne, FL. It was $17.5k for the 427stroker, intake to oil pan, full Multi port fuel injection with injectors, fuel rails, coil on plug setup, cam sync, balancer, flywheel, throttle body and Terminator X system all dyno’d and tuned on the Terminator x that it shipped with. Made 625hp @ 6,000rpm and 600ft/lb @ 5,000 rpm. That was worth it for that customer’s goal.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Square body chevy. We’ve done several motors from Blueprint and never had any issues. Great quality. They break them in and dyno them which is nice. By the time it gets to you, you know there isnt going to be any leaks, problems with the bottom end, or issues with the valve train. The biggest issue we have with the local machine shops in Central Florida is their turn around time. As a hotrod/restomod performance shop we cant sit on someones car for 6 months waiting on a machine shop to finish the motor. The last one we did was a 461ci pontiac stroker motor and just the bottom end short block ended up taking 7 months. By contrast the last motor we got from BluePrint i ordered on a Monday, arrived that same week on Firday. Painted the block, installed the intake and by Monday it was in the vehicle running. Plus if you sell the car its a nice selling point to have a folder of all the technical data, proceedures, approved sprak plugs, oil, maintenance info, warranty instructions and dyno sheet. Most machine shops around us dont dyno the engines prior to pick up.

Now i’m sure there are very qualified companies out there that dont have the big name brand as blueprint that could offer you a similar package with similar services. We just had a 427windsor stroker motor built by a company called Proformance Unlimited in Melbourne, FL. It was $17.5k for the 427stroker, intake to oil pan, full Multi port fuel injection with injectors, fuel rails, coil on plug setup, cam sync, balancer, flywheel, throttle body and Terminator X system all dyno’d and tuned on the Terminator x that it shipped with. Made 625hp @ 6,000rpm and 600ft/lb @ 5,000 rpm. That was worth it for that customer’s goal.
This motor i posted was THEE only one I saw on there that was 1 year 50k .
Every other motor on there is 30 months 50k.

This here is the biggest short block bb.

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I’d probably get the biggest standard deck crate motor that they build just for less headaches.
I was just lookin at them . The biggest short deck bb they have comes in 90 hp light of the 632 tall deck . Around 725 hp .
I was lookin at the sb s.
I see what I could have gotten for 9 g's.
454 sb around 550 power and torque give take BUT im lookin at this sb I just did and the heads I've got and the valve train I've got are no comparison to what they are giving you .
Plus I could ALLMOST hit those numbers with this . With the valve train I've got and heads I could spin that thing 8 grand.
Not the bp motor though
Course then again I don't have a 30 month 50k warranty either . What I have is 0 months and 0 mile warranty lol

·
Banned
3,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, the 12K get you 700+HP , the 15K 540 gets you 800+. HP , so they are comparable. I like 700+ in a std deck height. I;d think Mark's engines are generally less radically cammed. so may play "sleeper" better for the Caprice.

Yet, being a poo' boy, I can only play with little rats, so I have no experience AL.
Its 724 hp 680 torque on the short deck 598 CI . That's 14 grand . The cam is
647 Intake .647 Exhaust
258 Intake / 266 Exhaust duration
@ .050 - 112 degree lobe separation.
That's not radical. Then thier givin ya 30 months 50 k to break it

·
Premium Member
14,093 Posts
Many warranty details will NEVER be mentioned in the crate engine manufactures' sales pitches. Here's a sample of what I'm speaking of:

#1. Many an engine warranty are NOT through the engine manufacture at all, but are from a third party insurance company, and they are the ones you have to deal with in the event of any warranty claim. At that point, the engine manufacture is out of the picture and it is NOT their responsibility to take care of you, nor your engine repair in the event of failure.

#2. A "30 month/50,000 mile" warranty is a typical used car salesman sales pitch, because the fine print of a vehicle or an engine warranty always says "which ever COMES FIRST" and nobody is ever going to put more than about 15K miles on a 632cid engine inside of a 30 month period, and the crate engine companies all know that. You're lucky if you get 7 MPG with an engine that size, so you would have to be earning as much Salary as Jay Leno in the prime of his career to drive a car for more miles than that in 30 months which has a 632cid engine, and you'll very likely only put about 8 or 9K miles .on it inside 30 months.

So basically that 632cid engine from Blueprint comes with a 10,000 mile warranty in the real world because nobody is ever going to get close to putting 50K miles on a motor that size within 30 months. You would go broke paying for the gasoline alone in order to even come close to 50K miles.

#3. Some engine warranty fine print states that there is a $5K cap on the repairs that are paid for. That may or may not be enough in the event of engine failure.

Now we come to another topic: Oil pan to frame clearance as well as Oil pan to steering linkage clearance. Do yourself a BIG favor and call Blueprint and ask them for the brand and the exact part number of the oil pan they ship their 632cid engine with. Then call the oil pan manufacture, and ask them to e-mail the exact pan dimension measurements or look if those are listed on their website. Because there's a very good chance that you will have to cut and weld part of the front of the frame in your car to fit any oil pan that a 632cid engine comes with, (been there done that).

There's also a very good chance that you'll have to purchase a rack & pinion steering set up to clear the front of the oil pan.

Headers: If the steering shaft location on your car is anything like those on Chevelles, then there are no off the shelf headers in the world that will not have the cylinder #3 and #5 slammed right into the steering shaft with any tall deck engine block. With even a low reving 632cid engine you need 2 1/8" diameter primary tubes. Anything smaller than that will choke the power right out of that engine above 4,500 RPM.

Therefore, you'll need to spend about $1,600 on custom made headers. So you need to count the costs before you jump into this idea. There's no "right" or "wrong" here. Just trade offs.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Nothing against Blueprint but frankly their power numbers kinda suck in my opinion.
Stop and do some number crunching.

Blueprint
632 @ 815hp = 1.28 per cube ($13299.00)
598 @ 724hp = 1.21 " " ($14899.00

Compared to

Vortecpro
496 @ 650hp = 1.31 per cube (with less cam and compression for $9195.00)
496 @ 700hp = 1.41 " " (similar compression and less cam for $12095.00)

I'd wager that one of Mark's 700hp 496's would run circles around the Blueprint 598 at the track.

·
Premium Member
18,977 Posts
Either way, at least GTO has used blueprint succesfully on multiple occasions. That says a lot. Like us buying "crates" from Mark or Mike, a known quantity.

PS Mike Lewis doesnt build anymore? He had some dandy big inch mills.

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
All of the warranties that I've had a lawyer read are VOID if the engine is ever used for competition.
One test and tune down an "official" track and your warranty is out the window.
And that tank of a small tired Caprice ain't hookin' on no street, period. Same as the Mustang and whatever Dodge calls it's top dog now. Smoke shows that can all be duplicated with a 500hp smallblock.
BillyGman is THE guy to listen to, he's the one that's been through the process and it's pretty well documented here.
By dropping the tall deck down to a passenger block, you'll aleviate a ton of your problems.
But as long as you're chopping up the crossmember and steering, why stop at 632? There are a few mountain motor builders that can get you wall over 700ci.
Check out Sunset Racing Engines and Reher-Morrison, both build pump gas 565's with over 700hp and 650 ft lbs that'll be more than that Caprice needs.

1 - 20 of 210 Posts