Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I frequently drive my 70 at night, and i have come to the conclusion that my highbeams are almost as effective as the low beams on the other car i drive (mom's lincoln town car).

i have replaced all 4 bulbs, and aimed them... just standard bulbs.

would the slightly more expensive halogens be worth it (~$16/bulb instead of $4?) and how do the tri-bar bulbs that they sell in year one/ground up light?

any other suggestions? Charging system works well... what else to check?

------------------
1970 Chevy Chevelle, 402ciSB (6.6l), TH350 w/shift kit *DEAD!!*, Holley 4160 600cfm, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Stock HEI, Dynomax Headers, Flowmaster Exhaust w/ Hooker Aero-Chambers and Cutouts, Corbeau Buckets, Console (floor shift), Power Discs, BMR Rear Control Arms, 1.25"/.875" swaybars, PST Front end, Blaupunkt Miami Beach, Infinity 693.5i (rear), Infinity 42.5i (front), Jensen XA4150 Amp. Swiss Cheese 1/4 Panels.... Awaiting a 4spd swap if i wasnt in debt :(

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is a High Intensity Discharge kit you can get from [email protected] on ebay for about $54. take a look. Couple of buddies have them on their rides, looks incredible. Very similar to lights you see on european cars, ice white.

Bigsarge
72SS 454 4spd

·
Premium Member
2,156 Posts
I put in 4 new halogens, (and T-Man lined em up!) and they are MUuuch better than the standard ones, IMO. Course my old standard ones were aimed all wrong, and one hi beam was out.....

chris

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Hot Rod did an article about a retrofit install of the Zenon bulb system in a '56 a few months ago. Zenon bulb technology is used on a large scale in the cinema industry, and man are they bright! Cost about $175+ a side if I remember correctly.

You could just replace the high beams with 14V aircraft landing lights as well... You'll just have to nip new notches in the buckets to get the throw pattern of the lamps horizontal instead of vertical. You can see for about 1-1/2 miles, but are VERY illegal (voice of experience).

------------------
'64 El Camino
383 - TH-350 - 12bolt
4 wheel disc
'64 Before Engine

'64 After Engine

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, i dont think i'll go that extreme...(but where can i get those?) i'll try a set o halogens and see what happens, and if that dosnet live up to what i want, i'll put the lights on relays and directly to the battery.

at least the halogen route is cheap... $10-15 per light

[This message has been edited by Jutny (edited 09-30-2002).]

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
You could also install dual hi-low beams. You'd run four low beam lights as well as four high beams.

I've been running the halogen replacements for years and they're fine. I have considered running low-high inner bulbs as well, but I don't need 'em.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 06-21-02)

"Long Live Freedom!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #4556
'68 El Camino

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Heh, Heh... When I worked for a "non-conglomerate" local corner auto parts store in my youth I looked in the Sylvania master catalog. Listed were various diameter and voltage lamps. Had to order a case of 12 @ $17 each, but quickly sold off the excess to buddies. The only mod was the "bucket". The alignment "lugs" cast into the glass where 90 deg. off from automotive use.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
On my '68, I first re-wired the headlights using bosch relays and 12ga wiring. Then I replaced all 4 lamps with Hella H4 replacement housings and 80/100 watt H4 bulbs. It's wired up to use outside 80 watt bulbs on low, and all four 100 watt bulbs on high.

The hella housing have a european style reflector. They have a sharp horizontal cut-off to reduce blinding on-coming traffic and widen the beam on the road.

If I remember correctly, the H4 housing cost around $45 each from summit, and the 80/100 bulbs are around $12 each.

I'm very pleased with the upgrade. It's actally fun to drive at night now that I can see.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
68 350/700R4 Ragtop
72 496/Richmond 6-Speed
Jeff's Chevelle Page

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
keffK, that may be what i do... they sell other bulbs for them, like 55w for the low beams... something like that?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I believe you can also purchase 55w/100w. The Hella housings come with a 55/65 if you wanted to use that. I can get you that Hella part number tonight if you want it.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
68 350/700R4 Ragtop
72 496/Richmond 6-Speed
Jeff's Chevelle Page

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah, i'd appreciate that.... also, do you have any pictures of what they look like installed?

[This message has been edited by Jutny (edited 10-01-2002).]

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
The Hella number is 71456. The Summit price is $46.69 each.

Here's a pic of the headlights installed. They appear to be a little flatter than regular sealed beams.

And here are a couple pics of the subpanel I built to hold relays, and aux. fusebox and the horn relays.

http://www.72chevelle.com/jeffk/panel1.JPG
http://www.72chevelle.com/jeffk/panel2.JPG

I think the biggest improvement may have come from installing the relays. Getting a full 12-14 volts to the lamps makes a big difference over sending all the power through the car's wiring harness.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
68 350/700R4 Ragtop
72 496/Richmond 6-Speed
Jeff's Chevelle Page

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks JeffK, i'm gonna order 4 of those h4's tonight.... ORDERED!

would you mind detailing the building of the panel, and what relays you used, and where to pick up these wires and what exactly to do. Your job looks really professional, and i'd like to duplicate the headlight and horn part it if at all possible.

i appreciate the help.

·
Registered
213 Posts
JeffK, that is a very nice and clean solution for upgrading the headlight system. I think that it's the perfect offset to the 'trendy' fog/driving/annoying lights on the little import euro race car wannabees. I just might enjoy giving those little plastic roller skate jockeys a taste of their own forward luminescent arrogance.

Yeah, that's just the ticket. Thanks.

Louie Hammel

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LouieHammel:
I just might enjoy giving those little plastic roller skate jockeys a taste of their own forward luminescent arrogance.

Yeah, that's just the ticket. Thanks.

Louie Hammel
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

holy **** that's funny stuff... thats going in my quotes file.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Relocating the Horn Relay is optional. I changed mine because of several upgrades I did at once. Basically I re-wired the whole front of the car, with the headlights, convert from Ext. Regulated Alternator to 1-wire CS Style, and swithed to HEI.

The auxilary fuse box is from Painless Wiring. Part number 70207. I have 3 fuses for the headlights, 1 for the HEI, 1 for my radio and 1 for the transmission. Again this would be optional depending on your existing wiring. If you just wanted to do the headlight upgrade, you could wire the power wires from the relay direct to the battery, with some sort of Inline fuse or fusible link.

The weatherproof relay box and new headlight sockets were purchased from Haywireinc.com.

Below are a couple diagrams for wiring. First is the original wiring, second is the new wiring with relays.

Another very easy option is to purchase the harness already assembled and just plug and play. Suvlights.com has the harnesses finished, just need to plug everything in. I just purchased one of their kits for my Ford Expedtion and it installed easily and works great. You might want to check with them to see if they offer an H4 harness with a 4 headlight cofiguration.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
68 350/700R4 Ragtop
72 496/Richmond 6-Speed
Jeff's Chevelle Page

1 - 18 of 18 Posts