Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after putting my UMI upper A arms & 12:1 steering box I'm looking at better seats for side support in turns. I've been looking at Procar 1050 low back seats. Just wondering how they feel & look in a 67 Malibu. I'm open to other seats & thoes from newer cars as long as they fit & don't look to big. Ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,789 Posts
They must have recently renamed them. they were called the "Rally" seat.

They are good seats, i've had them in several cars- but there are a couple things to note...
1. they are stiff. Very stiff. With the brackets they sell, even in the lowest position you will sit a little high... but they are comfortable. I ran a set in my 68 Delmont 88 convertible for about a month while its seats were being redone, and it made that boat feel like a go-kart!

2. They are SMALL. They are several inches shorter, and a couple inches narrower than factory buckets. I had headrests, and they helped to increase the visual size when looking in the car, the ones without headrests will look really small in a chevelle.

Also- If you are a larger person, they may feel really tight due to the large bottom and side bolsters.

3. The larger bolsters make getting in and out of the car a little bit tricky, cause you can't just slide in and out. The bolsters are not just foam, there are big metal tubes that form the bolsters under the foam, so you are going over them, not across them.

All that said, I did like them, and kept them and used in several different cars.
They are also available with correct chevelle style covers. I can't remember the source for those ones- but they are out there if you google it.
This is what I would do if putting them in a chevelle- that way your backseat will match.

TMI also offers an aftermarket seat with "correct" looking covers. Theirs are a little larger seat, with not as huge bolsters... If i were to buy an aftermarket seat, i think theirs is the one i would go after.

Their website sucks, but this is the seat. Comperable price to the Procar Rallys.

1967 Chevelle Pro-Series Standard Low Back Sport Seats, 1 Pair - Without Headrest - Chevelle - Browse By Vehicle - Chevy

This is the seat with the 67 chevelle center seat insert, but they make them for all year chevelles too.

ANwyay- something to consider!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Two other things to consider with the Procar rally seats: 1. If you don't have a tilt column sliding your legs sideways to get out of the car can be an issue, can be overcome by sliding the seat back to get out. 2. Access to the back seat can be a chore, the tall bolsters do not let the seats fold forward much. I have them in my 72, and like them. Rambo hit on the other points, comfortable for the average sized person, great support in turns, sit higher than normal, height is adjustable using the different mounting holes.

Today 50% of all marriages end in divorce, but 100% of car part deliveries end in happiness.

72 Chevelle Malibu 327/350 Restomod
57 Chevy Bel Air 283/Powerglide
96 Ford Ranger (aka Truck Norris)

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Gary, my brother and i went to a wrecking yard with tape measure and found seats from a 2005 Monte Carlo that fit me pretty well. Got both seats, rear seat, console and shifter for $135.00. Removed headrests from front seats, took to upholstery shop. He is going to modify 65 black seat covers to fit Monte Carlo buckets. The drivers seat is 3 way power, very comfortable too. You might want to check a bone yard close to you. The price is right and the seats have great bolster and lumbar support. Just another idea.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
8,733 Posts
I picked up a set off ebay but local 2012 camaro blk leather buckets but had to buy $127 adapters but they're nice and comfortable, you have to disco the wires going to the airbag if you hook the elec seat on the drv side, pas is man adjust

Attachments

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas! We went to the Barrett Jackson auction yesterday & saw in the Chevrolet corporation display. There were pro touring Chevelles with Camaro seats. You couldn't get in them to sit but did sit in new Camaros & the seats are very nice. I'll have to check out my scrap yards. Any other cars that have fit OK?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I've been giving this subject consideration for a while now. Wanting to keep the interior as stock looking as possible, I keep looking at TCI sport covers and foam. These install on the stock seat frames and improve bolster on seat bottom and seat back but aren't huge. And maybe don't offer enough support.

I don't really like the out of place look a lot of replacement seats end up having. some of the seats out of other GM products can look ok, but by the time you find, recover and adapt them, is it worth it?

I spoke with a friend yesterday who has the TCI sport covers in his Chevelle, he wasn't over positive on the improvement over stock. I'm going to try to get over to his place and sit my butt in them soon.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris, thanks for the post & video. So how do they feel in a turn going too fast? Some say you sit higher in them, did you find this? How is the quality of the vinyl material? How long have you had them in?

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Chris, thanks for the post & video. So how do they feel in a turn going too fast? Some say you sit higher in them, did you find this? How is the quality of the vinyl material? How long have you had them in?
I feel the bolsters are tighter around the butt area than the sides, and I think they'd be too snug for really big guy.

They are a big improvement over the stock buckets. At all times these make you feel more connected to the car and of course you don't slide like you do with the stock seats. I haven't gone to the track in them yet, so I haven't felt them with high G's yet, but I figure that's where they'll really shine.

Id say they do sit higher, which is why you want to cut off the bottom part of the adjustment tab, as shown in the video. I think a big reason you sit a little higher is the foam is firmer than the stock buckets, and so you don't squish into the cushion as much.

The vinyl feels really good. Looks and feels very muscle car like. For sure not high end quality like a leather you'll find in a Bugatti or something, but feels good for what it is.

I've had the seats since April of 2016.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Looks good. I also installed Procar seats in my Chevelle but bought the ones without the pronounced bolsters as they make it easier to get in and out and I like the "old school" look.

They do sit a tad bit higher then the factory bucket seats I removed but I like the seating position and they definitely more comfortable and look like they came with the car.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
You can make anything fit if you try hard enough ;)

2010 Chevy equinox, U-Pull it - 130.00 for both front and rear.

Attachments

Reactions: 427L88

·
Registered
348 Posts
I put a set of Procar Elite seats in my 68 Mustang. They look similar to the Rally seats but have smaller side bolsters, they are very comfortable.

·
Registered
8,596 Posts
You can make anything fit if you try hard enough ;)

2010 Chevy equinox, U-Pull it - 130.00 for both front and rear.
Do the equinox flip forward for rear seat access? Back in the day grand am seats were all the rage but most were 4 door and did not flip forward, only reclined. 😞

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
They sure do, they also recline and have a power height and lumbar adjustment. Nice side bolsters and the rear has fold down cup holders! :thumbsup:

Reactions: shovelrick

·
Registered
625 Posts
I bought a set of used Recaro's off Ebay and I really like them. They can be a little pricey but I found a set for $700, that included electric bases and shipping. I'm going to recover them to suit my interior but they sit incredible. Enough bolster to hold you in place nicely but not so big that you have to climb over them like others were mentioning. The first pic is the pair I bought and the second is what they will look like once I have them recovered in black leather...

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
They sure do, they also recline and have a power height and lumbar adjustment. Nice side bolsters and the rear has fold down cup holders! :thumbsup:

I broke my back last year in a construction accident. My 69 Chevelle has bench seats because I'm a suckered for the 'honey position'. After my accident I found the Chevelle bench seat left me in pain even after short drives. My wife has a 2010 Buick lacrosse with heated and cooled seats and they are about 1000 time better for my back.

This year we have decided to take our family on the hot rod power tour and this issue of seats is worrying me. I'm a competent fabricator, but the 4 door lacrosse seats don't fold forward.

I'm looking for suggestions on modern seats from a 2 door car with a back seat, that preferably have heat/cool and controls built into the seat. It will be re-upholstered to match the 69 rear seat and this will most likely mean removing any head rests. As such the new seat should have a headrest that isn't one piece with the seat back.

Do you have any pictures of these seats in the forward position?

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
I just posted this same conversation over on my thread in the pro touring section. I haven't quite found what I want for my seats.

Possible coupe seats:

CTS-V coupe
ATS
M3 coupe - Convertible has the shoulder belt in the seat
GTO
Camaro
Cobalt SS
Monte Carlo

Anyone have any experience with these?

I think the Camaro seats have the headrest molded into the top of the seat so if that is removed it might look a little funny.

·
Registered
84 Posts
There are a lot more pictures of my seats in these threads. If you can't find what you need, I can upload more. :)

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-interiors/934658-seats-stuff.html

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/26-interiors/939802-custom-seats-console.html
Do you have any pictures of the front seat leaned forward? Since the equinox is a 4 door I'd like to see how that rear seat loading looks with this setup.

Is anyone aware of a seat track that could be adapted to a fixed four-door seat to make it slide forward for rear entry?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts