Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just installed a new GM 350/290 horse crate motor in my 72 malibu. i set the motor at top dead center and installed my distributor at number one plug position. the motor has headers,edelbrock performer intake and an edelbrock 600 carb. it started up and runs pretty good but, it smells like it is running rich. a couple of people told me i needed to set my timing and adjust the carb. what is the best way to go about it? also, the distributor is a GM electronic ignition.:(

· Registered
1,055 Posts
i just installed a new GM 350/290 horse crate motor in my 72 malibu. i set the motor at top dead center and installed my distributor at number one plug position. the motor has headers,edelbrock performer intake and an edelbrock 600 carb. it started up and runs pretty good but, it smells like it is running rich. a couple of people told me i needed to set my timing and adjust the carb. what is the best way to go about it? also, the distributor is a GM electronic ignition.:(
Straight on the dizzy terminal at TDC results in O degrees initial.Install a timing light and set the timing to recommended specs before adjusting the carb.If you have no specs..10 degrees at idle with the vacuum pot disconnected is a starting point with that combo_Once the timing is established..adjust the carb idle mixture screws to obtain the highest manifold vacuum reading at curb idle rpm.This is ball park only and will get you close.Once you have that established..you can move on to fine tuning your combo.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.