Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
Those pics I posted...those slicks have been laying on their side after about 75 passes last year, they seemed to work fine and its a bit colder than 65 in the winter here ;) I need to get a new set, just wanted to make sure everything was gonna work right first.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I know heat and sunlight will take life out of them. Whether it matters, in aviation school I was taught to store tires vertcally.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I pulled this from Hotrod.com and learned a few things myself:

Handle With Care

Unlike street tires, slicks require special handling. Under no circumstances should slicks be stored outdoors, because this will accelerate dry rot. A slick with cracked sidewalls is unsafe and should be discarded. If stored off of a vehicle, slicks should be sealed in opaque plastic bags and kept out of direct light, either sunlight or fluorescent, also extremes in temperature. If stored on a vehicle, weight should be taken off of them by elevating the rear of the car with jack stands (never use a jack for this purpose!). The weight of a vehicle can eventually distort a pair of slicks. These tires should be treated with the utmost respect as they play a crucial role in your car's performance and your safety.

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/general/drag_slick_tire_tech/index.html

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Hey guys just an observation..

How come the best/useful articles HotRod produces seem to be on the internet and not in the magazine???

I have subscribed to Hot Rod this year and have found maybe 5or6 articles with interesting tech data whereas the internet articles tend to be better..

G

·
We stored my Mom's six, pumped-up mounted, trailer tires fine since Aug, 1966 in the basement flat stacked under the stair steps in the dark until I sold them back in '03 after she died.

The Auctioneer told my Son after he checked them out that he wished he could sell more of them! Suckers were like brand new b/c I checked them out too before I would sell them.

pdq67

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Hey guys just an observation..

How come the best/useful articles HotRod produces seem to be on the internet and not in the magazine???

I have subscribed to Hot Rod this year and have found maybe 5or6 articles with interesting tech data whereas the internet articles tend to be better..
Internet paper is cheaper:p

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
The very best way to store slicks is the same as you will see drag racers carrying their spare slicks in trailers . . . . Mount a fixture to the wall that will hold the slicks by the center hole in the wheel. This way, there will be no weight at all on the tires.

·
Registered
938 Posts
so what about the car sitting in the garage. how long can the car set on the tires? a few weeks at a time. i generally put mine on jack stands if its gona set any lenght of time. Dave

·
Premium Member
5,644 Posts
Off the car, sealed in a bag to keep them from drying out is supposed to be best. I have never followed this but I should.

The 18 year old Micky Thompson 28-10.5-15 slicks on my Nova are still cutting 1.4's on the 60ft's so who knows for sure. I do know I need to finally purchase a new set, tread depth is nearly gone and I think my 60fts will improve with better rubber.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.