Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a "good" flowing stock SBC exhaust manifold for a chevelle? I was thinking about trying a set off an L-98 camaro as they are supposed to have a 2 1/4 inch outlet.

thx
Joe

· Registered
181 Posts
i'm not sure if some slightly newer models have more flow but the old "rams horn"style was good back in the day.i think they were standard on the old LT1 350 camaros,ss smallblock novas and ss smallblock chevelles years ago.it would help to know what model/casting# cylinder heads you have.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not think ram horn would fit a chevelle? the engine is a short rod 383 build out of parts i had left over from other projects. Im using pocket ported 993 heads, a Q-jet, an aluminum Q-jet intake and a recurved HEI. The cam is an L-79 and the CR is aprox 9.5 to 1. I have a set of ram horns but did not think they would work. I dont have much $ into this motor and and tring to work out a cheap exhaust

Joe

· Super Moderator
14,047 Posts
Rams horn manifolds will not work in a Chevelle chassis. The outlets would terminate right into the front frame crossmember.

To be real honest, I don't think any of the small block manifolds flow all that well due to their size and shape. Some may be better than others but I don't have the info to recommend a specific set.

A set of headers, even shorty headers, would really help that cam make use of it's power band above 4500 RPMs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts