Team Chevelle banner

best steel?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  trx88 
#1 ·
whats the best brand steel to buy for quarters and fenders and the like

goodmark wants 1k for the qt panels because they are made on gm dies..

are the others out there just as good?

#3 ·
I've been trying to get a report on panels made on GM dies for both Camaros and Chevelles. Keep in mind that as dies wear, panel quality suffers. This is the case with late stamped NOS panels. So if the GM tooling they are using is not 100% then the panels will not be like assembly line panels.

#4 ·
The ones sold through Sherman & Associates are supposedly made off the GM dies, and they do fit damn nice... :yes: and yes, they say they are stamped in Taiwan, but the metal did seem thicker than normal runs of stuff..

#6 ·
Chevelles, yes. The Camaro 1/4s are not out of the GM dies, and they fit fairly well, not perfect around the trunk though. The 70 Chevelle fender I got from Sherman was stamped at the CHL plant, and it was near-NOS quality too...

#7 ·
I have used Goodmark, AMD, and Dynacorn. I would never use dynacorn again as they fit like garbage. Even did one of the dynacorn repro camaro bodies and I would rather fix an original. Goodmark fit ok but are made of metal that is real flimsy. AMD seems to be the best all around panels to use and I prefer those.

#9 ·
Even did one of the dynacorn repro camaro bodies and I would rather fix an original.
Common report and stands to reason. Not sure why people think an entire body made from repro panels would be better than the individual panels themselves.

Camaro repro tin knowledge I have; I do not have data on every repro Chevelle panel. AMD has been good for Camaros but even they have shortcomings. I never expected perfection from them. 67-8 Camaros have fenders made on GM tooling in Michigan, reports are positive but I have no hands on experience with them.

#11 ·
Bryan, fwiw, I was unsure what I was going to use as I knew both of my 1/4's needed to be replaced. I hate Chinese garbage, so I hunted around and found very good original 1/4's with their sails on Craigslist for $150 for both. They are on my 70 right now and fit up perfect. Also my front fenders had some rust out on the bottom int the usual place, I picked up a pair of patch panels from GU and they are installed right now and they came out perfect. This is how I did it and my body shop is thankful for original metal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.