Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my high performance HEI poweered small block chevy, my plug boots are melting. Instead of just putting on new boots, I want to buy a new set of wires. Currently I have the pertronix flamethrower wires, and I think that they are nothing special. For a car that is mainly street, but will see some rare track time, what would be the best wires for my application? I need something that can take the heat from headers well, as well as put out good voltage. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Casey

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've had a good experiences using MSD Super Conductors, the red wires with grey boots, on both of our '65's. Summit has a good price on them and I've had no problems with burnt or melted sparkplug boots near the Hooker Super Comp headers. On both cars, the headers have a Jet-Hot (or similar) coating that helps to reduce the heat from the headers near the sparkplug boots. The wires that I've had problems with in the past on a V-8 Vega had the cheap orange-colored silicon boots, which I won't use anymore because of the problems you've mentioned

Rod

[This message has been edited by Hotrod65SS (edited 02-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Hotrod65SS (edited 02-16-2002).]

·
Registered
4,972 Posts
Jacob's electronics makes some with ceramic insulators at the plug. No way to melt them. They got gobbled up by someone (Edelbrock maybe) but the vendors still sell their stuff. Jeg's and Summitt both sell Jacob's.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Accel 300+ wires have a really low resistance, so that the spark will not be "eatin'" crossing the wire. I think these are great for the price. Now I also like the Talory wires, a little more $$.

------------------
383 SBC 69 Chevelle 410HP/500Ft.lbs
Citrus Heights, CA
Team Chevelle Member #1070
http://www.x86Racing.com (Dave Silva 03)

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
My mechanic says nothing better than Taylor, he is very good and a very fast drag racer. I use MSD 8.5mm red with grey boots, I love them the 2" super comp headers get really hot. The heat hasn't hurt the boots at all. You should see my hand and arm, did'nt do as well as the MSD boots.

later..........bk

·
Registered
293 Posts
I'll cast another vote for the Taylor Spiro-Pros. I use the 135 degree boots and have had no problems even with headers.

------------------
Mark
1970 SS454 LS6 (nom)
TH400/4.10 posi
Formerly Cranberry Red now War Bonnet Yellow
-------------------------
"Fight Apathy - the disease no one cares about."

·
Super Moderator
13,013 Posts
Casey,
I personally think that just about all the name brand wires are fine, as far as actually getting the ignition job done.
However, there is no wire that is really going to survive actually hitting, or being very close to a header. I dont care if you buy the "best" wire available, it will still burn if it is too close. Your alternatives are to either fix the problem (use shorty plugs, different angle boots, better headers etc.) Use the Jacobs ceramic end wires (very pricy) or use the MSD wire sleeves that go over the boot and insulate it from the heat.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, maybe I'll be getting some Taylor or MSD wires and some sleeves for the boots.

But what about wire seperators/looms, what are you all using on your small blocks?

Also, what's with the 135 degree boots? I use 90 and they seem to be fine. Do the 135 fit better or something?

Thanks in advance,
Casey

·
Registered
418 Posts
The 135 degree boots are what I commonly think of as 45 degrees. I now use the Taylor 409 - 135 degree boot wires. They were the answer for my big block setup. "Made For You" has some nice looms for small & big blocks.

------------------
It's a BIGGER block!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts