Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

· Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best radiator for the money , I went to the Northern NOCC show this past weekend and had a freak thing happen on the way up , something off the road got into my fan and bent the fan and the fan got into the radiator and destroyed it .

So now I am looking for a new radiator and fan set up for my 67 BB . The rad. I had was a new 4 row from Ground up . The fan was a direct drive stock fan .

Thanks , Rick

· Premium Member
5,748 Posts
I dont have any info to help you with but saw your damaged car there at the show. So sorry for your troubles but at least you had some good guys helping you out. Better luck next time. You should have gotten a hard luck award at the banquet.

· Registered
1,975 Posts
Sucks to hear about your rad/fan setup getting trashed. I use a BeCool Radiator for my SB equipped car and it keeps my motor nice and cool even in 90* heat and traffic. It has a 16" single speed electric fan hooked to it and it seems to do the job very well. I dont think that in the time I drove it before the accident it ever got above 200*(and that was in gridlock traffic for close to an hour). Good luck getting the car back up and running.

· Registered
9,084 Posts
ALUMITECH ,cant beat the workmanship and Don /ownwer of alumitech is there berfore-durring-and after the sale too.

Check out Don's website, search " Alumitech " to find it

You can paint it blk and nobody will know the difference accept you and a few in the know.

Scott

· Premium Member
1,232 Posts
What is the best radiator for the money , I went to the Northern NOCC show this past weekend and had a freak thing happen on the way up , something off the road got into my fan and bent the fan and the fan got into the radiator and destroyed it .

So now I am looking for a new radiator and fan set up for my 67 BB . The rad. I had was a new 4 row from Ground up . The fan was a direct drive stock fan .

Thanks , Rick
Hi Rick
here is a link to check out
https://secure.wf-api.com/www.chevellecooling.com/52.html?sm=14001&psid=D5jZu9VGHoagp8rS7azR

Don

· Premium Member
2,876 Posts
ALUMITECH!!!!!:yes::D

Thanks again Don, I drove the car a few weeks ago to my alignment appt. when it was 107 here which is unheard of, the hottest day on record in this area of Washington State. Temp gauge didn't get past 180 sitting at the light....I do have the BBC radiator and a SBC engine, but nonetheless a great radiator and fan setup:thumbsup:.

· Registered
5,065 Posts
I'm kind of surprised this question still comes up as often as it does, given all the favorable response (to put it mildly) on customer service, top quality, and -literally- an exact perfect fit with the Alumitech unit.

Seriously, do a search here on "Alumitech" and you will very, very quickly see why it's the best unit to get.

· Premium Member
2,402 Posts
I just got my Champion 3 Row fan from Ebay delivered yesterday. The quality is very nice. I wish I could have afforded the Alumitech, but After doing a new powertrain swap, suspension and interior im tight on money. I emailed about 50 people before I purchased it using these on big HP engines and not one complaint. Just another option if your on a budget. When im up and running (hopefully by october) I will post how it does.

· Registered
995 Posts
Do not waste your money on the Jegs brand Aluminum units. They do not work any better here in 120+ degrees than the 4 row copper/brass.
Well I live in Louisiana and it gets in the 90+ like a everyday thing here and above. I use the Jegs alum radiator and have been for 2 years since I changed engines. They are dang good to me. BTW, I do all interstate driving to and from work about 30-60 mins daily and on the weekend 2 hr round trips. But this past Friday my fans blew a fuse and they stopped working maybe 20-25 mins from my destination and that radiator kept my car cool all the way back to my house. The temp that day was 101 and I was on the interstate going 75-80. The electric fans I use are the dual fans that come in the new impalas and malibu. Those fit that big alum rad perfect and my temp has NEVER seen 200 even the day that the fans stopped working. But as soon as I stopped the car at my house that temp hand started moving very rapidly:yes:, so quickly I went under the hood and connected the fans to the battery for about 10 mins.:yes:

· Registered
769 Posts
When mine was destroyed, i just got a big Afco Racing radiator for it. eh, it works. lol plus i won't have to change radiators when i go to big block! :)

· Registered
50 Posts
ALUMITECH ,cant beat the workmanship and Don /ownwer of alumitech is there berfore-durring-and after the sale too.

Check out Don's website, search " Alumitech " to find it

You can paint it blk and nobody will know the difference accept you and a few in the know.

Scott
X2 buy a Alumitech.... it's really a perfect radiator.

· Premium Member
7,996 Posts
I have a 468 in my 70 with A/C. It runs 180 on the big road... 185 in town, 190--195 with the A/C on.............
Stock (recored brass-copper)---------- 4 core
772 fan & OEM. Shroud
G.M. Fan Clutch (Chevy Dlr.)
Robert Shaw---180 Thermostat
I put it together like it was 1970 with Chevy parts, It has an all 70 stock 454 B.B. cooling system. NOTE: All FACTORY items under the hood must be in place, Splash guards, Rubber items. My thoughts are: It worked very well in 1970, What changes did you make ?????????????????
P.S. My one owner trailer queen has the same OEM cooling system,With A/C And it does not run hot.
Bob:thumbsup:

· Registered
5,065 Posts
It may be the perfect FITTING radiator but it's only the "perfect" radiator if you're not looking for the best cooling radiator.
In other words, Alumitech is a great fitting/looking radiator but there are other radiators that cool much better.
LOL, love to see the data to support that statement.

If you're in the miniscule portion of people that need a radiator that cools better than one of Don's standard aluminum radiators, all you have to do is talk to him about what you need.

As an example, my car never sees 181°, regardless of driving, outside temp, or traffic - and that's with a stock clutch fan, an aluminum pump and an Alumitech radiator.

· Premium Member
1,232 Posts
LOL, love to see the data to support that statement.

If you're in the miniscule portion of people that need a radiator that cools better than one of Don's standard aluminum radiators, all you have to do is talk to him about what you need.

As an example, my car never sees 181°, regardless of driving, outside temp, or traffic - and that's with a stock clutch fan, an aluminum pump and an Alumitech radiator.
Thanks Mark
I would like to know when talking apples to apples how anybody thinks that another rad will cool better then ours with the same SQ inches same trube configuration same amount of tubes and fin per inch .. our 28.25 wide core for 68 to 72 model with twin 14 fan kit has been proven with 1000 h/p in Arizona by a customer about a month ago .. this was great input from him ... i was glad to hear it .

yes there are 1.25 two row cores made by griffin .. but we are no longer talking apples to apples at that point .

thanks for your input .
Don

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.