Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I read a while ago that someone had tried some polish that they were amazed with. I want to pull and polish all the aluminum trim on my 69 over the winter. (window, grill,tail light and headlight bezels). i thought that it might have been wenol but i'm not sure. thanx

------------------
1969 SS 396

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It is called "Heavy Metal Polish" and is sold at Les Schwaub tire stores. You can contact the company directly at 1-800-529-9400. It also will work great on stainless steel and chrome.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

·
Registered
714 Posts
I tried that Heavy Metal polish when I read that post a while ago because I am always looking for something "better" and all though it did an adequate job, it did not polish my aluminum better than Simachrome. Heavy Metal Polish does as good of job (maybe) as Mothers Aluminum Mag poilish and Mothers can be gotten at just about any retail or auto parts store. For my money Simachrome will get it aluminum looking more like chrome than any of those mentioned and those are good products

Simachrome comes in a tube like small tube of toothpaste (although I think it is lso marketed in larger containers). It can be purchased at most Motorcycle shops. (Guy at work bought it at a local Harley Davidson dealer for me for around $6-8 as I recollect...it wasn't much). Any of these polishes requires some elbow grease though

Good Luck

Mytmouse

------------------
67 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi Butternut Yellow w/Black Vinyl
68 RS Z/28 302 350+Hp? 4sp 4:10 Posi, Euro Red on Black
70 SS396 350HP 4 sp 3:55 Posi, Black on Black

Mytmouse A.K.A. Robert Stacho
ACES Member # 04359

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Some of that trim is stainless steel (window trim, roof rail moldings) and shine up nice with a buffing wheel and rouge. The headlight bezels, grill trim, and rear panel moldings appear to be anodized aluminum and I haven't found anything that works other than a good auto polish and it's really not that great. The tail light bezels I think are chrome plated pot metal and again a good auto polish should be fine.

Jim H
69 Malibu

·
Registered
139 Posts
On the aluminum, I used a buffing wheel, then clear coated them. This is an old trick from the Marines, used on Buckles so you could just wipe them clean.

Anyway, the stuff I use is "Max Fine Metal Polish", and of course I've only found it at the Car Shows. I've been able to use it on fresh chrome without "webs", and on soft metals like Gold and Silver.

For fun, check this out... http://www.rti.org/technology/to-alumpolish.cfm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.