Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting ready to put the instrument cluster back in my 69. I’ve read though some past post, but I can’t find a clear answer on bulb type. Bulb number 57 seams to be the correct factory bulb. Since it is near impossible to replace bulbs once the dash is complete I would really like to have a bulb that never burns out. Is there a long life bulb? My only concern would be heat. I don’t want something that will damage the plastic.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Others may have a better answer but I would just try and use a name brand bulb.
Textbook wise a few things affect bulb life: DC voltage, shock and vibration, voltage variations, temperature exceeding 100 degrees Celsius, series operations, flashing or switching, or lack of input control. All that is probably more than you wanted to know.
Another couple of things to try are: Install a new headlight switch. A worn dimmer rheostat can cause flickering which affects life. Keep the rheostat turned down some. The lower voltage increases filament life.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

Yes I was planning on installing a new headlight switch, but I didn't realize that it would also help with bulb life. Turning the rheostat down souns like a good plan

·
Premium Member
2,189 Posts
Another tip.. try not to handle them with your bare fingers. Use some gloves when installing. The oil on your fingers can cause hot spots on the glass.

Not too much of a concern with low watt incandesants, but Zenons or Halogens don't like it.

Every little bit helps.

------------------
'64 El Camino
383 - TH-350 - 12bolt - 4wh pwr discs
Bedded down for the Winter. (Way too early.. It's still nice (?) here!)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts