Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont want a loud exhaust system like flowmaster. I want a deep growl when into it and at a stop light just a little throaty. Which ststem is best. Really looking for Performance but fairly quiet. definitely 2.5 inch. Have hooker competition headers. Not super comp.

·
Premium Member
7,753 Posts
Check out www.flopro.com We put their mufflers on our 455 Lemans and our L78 Chevelle. Loud enough to be heard but gets drowned out at cruise nights by the Flowmasters when they fire up. Best part is, I got zero drone or resonance on the highway, where the mufflers are not obnoxious at all. I put the stainless Magnaflows on our mild 350 el Camino and the resonance between 1500 and 2000 is a total annoyance.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I run Dynomax super turbos on all my old cars. They are perfect for my application. A little louder than stock, flo much better than stock, and will make some noise when the power is on, but not enough noise to attract to much attention. I don't like ratty loud pipes on cars or bikes. I don't like hearing some guy reving his car or bike 2 miles away. Thats my .02.
good luck

·
Premium Member
5,539 Posts
Both good choices as listed above..

I hope my Magnaflows don't give me the same problem as Keith. I'd hate to have to get rid of them after spending $300 on them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. I was wondering about the magnaflows. Ill check out the web page above.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Note, On my 69 396 i used the 3 inch head pipes with flowmaster 22s and 2.5 tails and the car was loud. Looking to quiet things down even more. Are the turbo mufflers quieter the the magnaflo ? Or the dynoma turbo or the flo mufflers?

·
Registered
6,399 Posts
Muffler sound is such a judgement call, different people consider different things to be loud.

I went from a mild 402 with 18" street pro's to a 489 with 22" Magnaflows. Everything else stayed the same.

The Pypes street pro's, IMO, sounded great - they were a little less noisy than flowmasters, and I didn't have any drone. They were an aggressive sound for sure, noticeably loud when accelerating.

The magnaflows, on a bigger engine with higher compression, are quiet by comparison. Yes, you still hear the exhaust, but the best way I can describe it is that you can hear the power without the noise. The inside of the car is enjoyable at any speed or rpm, everyone that has heard the car loves the sound. Just a nice rumble that's not obnoxious. I can't compare them to the turbo's, as I've not used them.

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
My car was quiet with the 454HO and 2.5 Flowmaster Delta 50's. Went to Pypes 3" and their StreetPro's in the 14", car was way too lod, droned bad (but did sound awesome). Installed 18" Magnaflows - perfect. Added around 75-100HP, car was way too loud again with the same exhaust. Added 22" Magnaflows, perfect - almost a little too quiet. I'm adding hopefully another 50 or so HP, I'm praying that it will now be absolutely perfect.

To sum it up: The more power you make, get a bigger muffler. Pick a size, then go 1 step bigger (in length).

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
You can also go the muffler/resonator direction and add a second muffler in the back. This is a proven factory approach to the problem.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
i like the quieter sound as well, but there are not many of us around. when i bought my car i got tons of parts to restore and in that was a complete 3" mandrell bent system with flowmasters. man are they loud.

one thing that will quiet a car down is an "x" pipe. a friend put one on his '67 GTO and couldn't believe how much quieter it was.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
I vote for Dynomax 20" ultraflows flow through design and quiet

1 - 20 of 23 Posts