Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched the forums and can't find a concensus on headers for my ZZ 502. I have 70 Chevelle, with a GM performance ZZ 502. After reading the forums, lots of guys seemed to like Hedman headers. So I called their tech guy and he said he wouldn't use his headers on my 502. He said the amount of grinding required to fit them would lead to warpage.
Lots of guys like Lemons, so I called there and he told me his headers required cutting the inner fenders and running them outside the frame. Also uncoated headers cost $1100.00...ouch!
Has anyone put a headers on this motor that fits without hacking and doesn't require a second mortgage??

·
Registered
978 Posts
My friend has a set of super comp coated he is using on his 502 in a 71 chevelle. He had to use an oil filter relocation kit and the plugs are tight but they work

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
The ZZ502 is not a tall deck,and the heads have the exhaust ports in the original location.I used Hooker "Competition" coated with 2" primaries on my 71Chevelle convert.The only issue was a tiny bit of grinding on the flange for the lower row of headbolts,because of the added hight of the headbolt washers.

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
I have the ZZ502 heads on my 454.030 block. Using the 1.75" x 3" Hedman Elite. Instead of grinding the header flange, I just changed out the four lower (short) head bolts to conventional GM head bolts to eliminate any interference - no operational issues at all. JMHO, if the ZZ502 is stock crate, 1.75's are adequate. If you step up the cam considerably, go to 2" primaries. In either case, the Hedman will fit without issue. The 1.75's fit with room to spare. the 2" may need a minor dent on the #3 tube, you won't know for sure until you do the install.

·
Registered
13,791 Posts
Joe, will they hit with the small head/ARP style?

I better pull one header off of the car to check now.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hooker 2" on mine. A couple of light contact points, especially on the drivers side. No issues.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Don't use Hooker super-competition headers with 2" primaries. I had to ding and bend the suckers everywhere and the brakeline going from side-to-side on the frame's crossmember is to close to the hot pipes. If you have studs as head bolts you might have to alter the face plate on the headers with a cut-off wheel. My advice, don't go with the 2 in. primary headers, maybe go with something a bit smaller.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Sanderson C7's will fit without any dinging and clearance problems. I believe they are still about $600 coated. They also don't hang as low as Hookers. Specify what generation BBC you have and they have a flange that will clear your lower head bolts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do you remember the part number for the Headman Elite headers you installed? I have a 71 chevelle with a 502 motor, and I'm having trouble finding headers that will fit.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,370 Posts
:cool: Headman's on my 454 HO (which is externally identical to the zz502) in my '69. ZERO fitment issues, I even use a full-size quart oil filter on the HOe. The filter goes in and comes out no problemo.

P/N: 68193 as I recall.

·
Premium Member
6,486 Posts
I have used Dougs, their flange clear the bolts and the fitment was great.

Reactions: Jeff65SS

·
Registered
488 Posts
DRHRSH;1224058 Lots of guys like Lemons said:
Lemons makes a header that has all the tubes inside the frame for it with up to 2 1/8 primary's. ( #BBPT-615 ) And there $1500.00 ( uncoated) for a set not $1100.00.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I don't understand the problem? 502, 454, 396, 540, who cares, as long as its a short deck block, they're all the same. They've been making headers for them for 50 years now. Yes some fit better than others. As other guys have said, with aluminum heads you will likely have issues with the lower head bolts. On mine I think (its been a ling time ago) I just didn't use the washer under the bolt head. You may have to grind the flange in that area to make make clearance .

Mine has a 454 with Edelbrock alum heads & a 4 speed.

Same as any other non OEM part - some tweaks usually required.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts